FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I already have the tell-tale itch from this sensor and it's only day 2! It's also not the most accurate sensor I've ever had - at least 1mmol out and frequently around 2mmol out. I'll see how it goes, but might be on the phone to Abbott again soon.

Smidge
Oh Gawd - well hang on as long as you think wise. You can use the info

L

Reactions: 2 people

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I already have the tell-tale itch from this sensor and it's only day 2! It's also not the most accurate sensor I've ever had - at least 1mmol out and frequently around 2mmol out. I'll see how it goes, but might be on the phone to Abbott again soon.

Smidge
I don't think that Cavillion works for this at all, it's too much of a breathable layer.

I've got mine over Compeed and I've just had to take it off after 1 week. I had a rection still that's in the shape of the compeed plaster but only the border. I'm starting to think my relationship with the Libre is over. The only flipside is that I have a spare starter kit, one of those sold for £660 on ebay the other day, crazy.

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge - 1 to 2 mmol/L "out" is actually well within tolerance. One of my two faulty sensors read between 160% and 200% above blood strip tests. Also, are you allowing for the time lag between blood and sensor? I've had a delay of between 5 minutes (which is what Abbott say is normal) and 20 minutes, some sensors being better than others. All of mine that have worked properly (8 out of 10) have had a lag from my control blood strip tests, but each seems to have a different lag time.

Sideburnt - I've just taken off my tenth sensor. No skin reaction from any of them. Is it worth asking Abbott if they can supply sensors with a different adhesive? My sensor application procedure does include two things that Abbott don't mention in the instructions -

1. Shave all the hairs from the intended sensor site.
2. Wash the site with soap and warm water, then use the supplied wipe etc.

Graeme

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Graeme! Unfortunately it's the inconsistency of the Libre that is the problem - if it was always out by the same amount it wouldn't be too bad. It's more than 2mmol low at the moment - 8.1 and level arrow on a scan as opposed to 10.1 on the BG meter - and the lag won't account for that as it would need to be travelling with a vertical up arrow to make it to the BG reading in the next 10 minutes! I have had a couple of very accurate sensors, but this doesn't seem to be a good one.

Sideburnt - I've not tried the Compeed yet, but the Cavillon is clearly not working. Did you react to the Compeed adhesive or was it the sensor adhesive through the Compeed?

Smidge

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sideburnt - I've just taken off my tenth sensor. No skin reaction from any of them. Is it worth asking Abbott if they can supply sensors with a different adhesive? My sensor application procedure does include two things that Abbott don't mention in the instructions -

1. Shave all the hairs from the intended sensor site.
2. Wash the site with soap and warm water, then use the supplied wipe etc.

Sadly for me the skin reaction built up over time and is now really bad every time. Even with barriers underneath (of all descriptions) I still get a reaction meaning that I take of the sensor after about 1 week. It's wasting me money so I'm on the verge of ducking out I'm sad to say. I've tried all kinds of pre-prep and aftercare and nothing seems to work.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly for me the skin reaction built up over time and is now really bad every time. Even with barriers underneath (of all descriptions) I still get a reaction meaning that I take of the sensor after about 1 week. It's wasting me money so I'm on the verge of ducking out I'm sad to say. I've tried all kinds of pre-prep and aftercare and nothing seems to work.

Yes, same here Sideburnt. I've had a 2 month break from it and let the skin heal completely, but within a few hours of applying a sensor over Cavillon, the itch was back.

Have you tried applying a sensor to anywhere other than your arms? I was wondering if the abdomen but be better - I tolerated a CGM from the hospital on my abdomen without any noticeable issues in December - although I only had it on for a week and have the feeling that it might have reacted had I kept it on any longer.

Smidge

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sideburnt - I've not tried the Compeed yet, but the Cavillon is clearly not working. Did you react to the Compeed adhesive or was it the sensor adhesive through the Compeed?

It was odd and I'm not 100%. I didn't react where the sensor was or where the compeed was directly against my skin. Where the sensor was cl
Yes, same here Sideburnt. I've had a 2 month break from it and let the skin heal completely, but within a few hours of applying a sensor over Cavillon, the itch was back.

Have you tried applying a sensor to anywhere other than your arms? I was wondering if the abdomen but be better - I tolerated a CGM from the hospital on my abdomen without any noticeable issues in December - although I only had it on for a week and have the feeling that it might have reacted had I kept it on any longer.

Smidge

I haven't yet, but it's an expensive test for me. I think I'll give it one more punt with another barrier (undecided yet what) underneath the sensor, then failing that cry into something soft. I love the trend data so much, even just waking up and seeing my overnight numbers is reward enough. Gutted.

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge - yes I agree with you about the sensors being inconsistent, it's something that Abbott must address or explain. Just a thought but if you had a blood reading of 10.1 and a sensor reading of 8.1 it could be that the actual amount of glucose in your blood was somewhere in between e.g 9.1 Blood strips and sensors will only work to a certain tolerance, not necessarily the same for each.

Graeme

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was odd and I'm not 100%. I didn't react where the sensor was or where the compeed was directly against my skin. Where the sensor was cl

I haven't yet, but it's an expensive test for me. I think I'll give it one more punt with another barrier (undecided yet what) underneath the sensor, then failing that cry into something soft. I love the trend data so much, even just waking up and seeing my overnight numbers is reward enough. Gutted.

Yes, it does get very expensive - like throwing 50 quid a time down the drain. I expect I'll have to give up eventually too - I'm just hoping someone brings out something similar with an adhesive I can tolerate. It's ridiculous because this is the only adhesive I've ever reacted to!

Smidge

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took a look at the sensor and mounting attachment yesterday, I wondered if we could peel off the sticky part (you can) from the sensor and add an alternative adhesive. That would seem like a much better solution than having to use a myriad of barriers and whatnot. Liquid skin would probably work, I'd end up putting sport tape over the top anyway to protect the sensor.

Reactions: 4 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
So you would have to take the sticky part off once the sensor is inside the attacher? Without getting that needle in your finger.. Or before you put it in there, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to attach the sensor, isn't it?

By the way, second sensor attached over Compeed is still doing well after 11 days. However the Compeed Plasters don't seem to be really meant for 14 days, they get a bit wear at the edges..

Will use one next time anyway since they prevent skin irritation in my case..

For starting Libre users I would also recommend to use Compeed. You'll be less likely to build up skin reaction if you use the Compeed from day 1 I guess..

Last edited by a moderator:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is on the verge of this. Also the built-in meter has started to diverge from my Optium, which it never did before. I'll wait a bit, but expect it to bomb.
I'm impressed - they shipped my replacement reader by DHL overnight. Shame that I can't use it until I change the sensor in 8 days ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Did they not provide a spare sensor too? I got one when my reader broke.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well after 3 days, my sensor now seems to have settled into pretty good accuracy - less than 0.5mmol out most of the time. Amazingly, it has also stopped with the itching! Whether that means it's stopped reacting or it's sitting there happily eating my arm I've no idea!!!

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've received an email today to say that they'll be contacting me soon and I'll have just a week to purchase the Libre, still undecided whether to go ahead given the mixed feedback on the forum:(

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd recommend it Noblehead. My experience was 70% sensor takes two or three days to settle, especially at night, but after that is reasonably consistent and still gives background data that are very useful for matching with timings and what you ate and learning from that. 30% I had dream sensors that were within 0.2 mmol from the beginning. Obviously that was nicer. But both useful.

I've learned massive amounts from it. I'd give it a go.

Lucy