FreeStyle Libre - Worth it or Not..?

FreeStyle Libre - Worth it or Not..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

Peter_Sylvester

I sort of like the idea of the FreeStyle Libre (into gadgets) but as I pretty well have my BG under control and my HbA1c is now 35 I am unsure as to whether it would be of any real benefit to me though I do intend to keep testing and am fed up with sore fingers so I am still undecided as to whether to get one or not. decisions decisions.
Hi @JohnEGreen
I am quite similar to you by the sounds of it...
I have been aware of being Type 2 since 1999, and in the last 2 years, have made good progress towards limiting / reducing the impacts of this dreadful disease.
In order to gain more information about WHAT to do on a DAILY basis, I had stepped up my blood strip testing, and - like you - my sore fingers paid the price.
So my progress was only really confirmed during my diabetic review every six months.

I have now had my FreeStyle Libre machine for just 2 weeks, and it has already given me so much additional information - @Bluetit1802 said in an earlier post on this thread "I have learned more in the last one year using Libre than I learned in the previous 19 years".
-----------------------------
[EDIT: CORRECTION]
[The above quote was not from @Bluetit1802 , it was by @Scott-C
The correct quote is - "I've been T1 for about 30 years, and have to say I've learned more about it in the last 1 year of using libre than I did in the previous 29.
Being able to see the full 24 hour picture is so instructive compared to the occasional strip snapshot.
Best of luck with it!"
]
-----------------------------
I know that I was getting very complacent - but now I have already seen some marked improvements - simply because I have more data and can make better informed choices.

On average, I am testing 14 - 18 times a day, and being able to discretely micro-manage my progress, without the pain of those sore little fingers.

You have to make your own decision - but in my case it has already proven to be invaluable .

if you would like to follow my progress, just take a look at my other thread on this subject - " FreeStyle Libre - My Life with the Machine "

Good luck, and let me know if I can help or share anything in any way...
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
H Ba1C is the best test to track bg levels for a T2 as I think you will see progress rather than daily ups and downs though if you ate trying out liw carb those fluctuations may smooth out and give you hope! You coukd check liver functiin and triglyceridws/hdl to see how yiu are doing metabolically rather than just focus on 1 symptom. At least those tests are free on the nhs!

P

Peter_Sylvester

H Ba1C is the best test to track bg levels for a T2 as I think you will see progress rather than daily ups and downs though if you ate trying out liw carb those fluctuations may smooth out and give you hope! You coukd check liver functiin and triglyceridws/hdl to see how yiu are doing metabolically rather than just focus on 1 symptom. At least those tests are free on the nhs!

Hi @NicoleC1971
Thank you for your reply

I decided to go ahead with the self-funded purchase of the FreeStyle Libre system, with the overarching goal of reducing my HBA1c, exactly as you describe

I am now two weeks in to that experience and have found that this system has been very informative in helping me take the baby steps necessary towards reducing / controlling my levels

I have started another thread which describes my progress
You can see that thread here

I hope you find it an interesting read
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NicoleC1971
P

Peter_Sylvester

For anyone who has taken a look at this thread, please also see FreeStyle Libre : My Life with the Machine

LIBRE : Interim Update
Sunday, 5th November

So here is my 1st consolidated Update Report on my experiences regarding my use of the FreeStyle Libre GMS over the last 10 days

It is available via this link to Dropbox : FreeStyle Libre - Report 1

Please message me directly if you would like a copy sent directly to you, or more detail(s)
Thank you
Peter

The full continuing thread can be seen at FreeStyle Libre : My Life with the Machine