• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But I heard it cost money every week

Each sensor costs about £50 and lasts for 2 weeks. The starter kit costs about £150 and includes the reader and 2 sensors.
It is expensive, but you don't need to use them all the time. I am a part time user - I buy 2 sensors every now and again. I haven't worn one since June, and am just about to order 2 more.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Each sensor costs about £50 and lasts for 2 weeks. The starter kit costs about £150 and includes the reader and 2 sensors.
It is expensive, but you don't need to use them all the time. I am a part time user - I buy 2 sensors every now and again. I haven't worn one since June, and am just about to order 2 more.
Thanks a lot

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Peter_Sylvester , there's a long thread by maglil55 at the link below describing her experiences as a T2 with it.

Covers a lot of ground from basics like applying a day before activating to allow it to settle down, appreciating how it measures from interstitial fluid, not blood, how to make it stay put while swimming, to interpreting results, including its ambulatory glucose profile, which is very useful for seeing overall patterns collated over several days which might not be obvious with strips alone.

They're brilliant devices - it's a no-brainer decision!

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/life-with-libre.118450/page-2

Reactions: Bluetit1802

hazelmorris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am trying to gain a more detailed insight into the movements of my Glucose levels, so that I can continue with my efforts to reverse my T2 diabetes.
Previously, I have stepped up the frequency of my testing using Nexus blood testing strips, but this proved to be painful on my fingers (!) and also expensive, because I rapidly ran out of the quantities allocated on my prescription, and had to buy extra quantities..
I now see that the FreeStyle Libre system is to be available on NHS prescription from 1st November.

From your experience, is it worth it, or not..?
(Note : this will be a functional decision)
The Freestyle Libre will help you lower your blood sugar levels, this will in turn enable you to live longer. What price to pay for a longer, healthier life ? It is a no brainer.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would and am going for it.
Invested when first diagnosed - was going to use it for three months but have carried on.
I do have a love hate relationship with them. The sensors do drive you crazy sometimes. You cannot rely on overnight readings unless they are doing a nice zigzag al night. Otherwise they flat line low. I have found when you lay on them they flat line. Perhaps people who lay on their front or back have better results no idea. Then I have had many sensors that read about .5mmol lower when you are at rest - say watching Tv but if you get up - by it goes up almost as if you are moving the fluid it measures.

Abbott always really helpful.

I have found the applying 24hours before to be less of an issue now - it is a long time since I have had a low starter so I don't bother too much with that now - but others still find it helps.

I always use skin tac wipe before I apply them - works absolute wonders - went two weeks on a hot and balmy holiday - swam every day multiple times, multiple showers, exercise - hot markets and it stuck like a limpit. Never had one fall off since and abbott recommended it after I lost a couple.

Like everyone else has said - they read low or high (typically a bit lower for me) but they show you the result of a short walk - exercise - you can test amounts of food really easily and quickly - the data is unbelievable.
If you flag when you eat (a feature of it) and then download the data it will plot the exact time and amount of you after meal peek. Much better than having to figure out through guessing. You can also see decline rate - also important. If you do have a celebration and over do your carbs you can see the result quickly and consider action such as walking it off.

It drives me mad - and is an investment - but I am sticking with it now until Christmas at least and probably much longer.

P

Peter_Sylvester

@Peter_Sylvester , there's a long thread by maglil55 at the link below describing her experiences as a T2 with it.

Covers a lot of ground from basics like applying a day before activating to allow it to settle down, appreciating how it measures from interstitial fluid, not blood, how to make it stay put while swimming, to interpreting results, including its ambulatory glucose profile, which is very useful for seeing overall patterns collated over several days which might not be obvious with strips alone.

They're brilliant devices - it's a no-brainer decision!

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/life-with-libre.118450/page-2

This is a really valuable post Scott - thank you.
It seems that you re correct - this is a no-brainer decision for me and what I want to achieve.
Thank you very much - I appreciate it.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is a really valuable post Scott - thank you.
It seems that you re correct - this is a no-brainer decision for me and what I want to achieve.
Thank you very much - I appreciate it.

Cheers, Peter.

I've been T1 for about 30 years, and have to say I've learned more about it in the last 1 year of using libre than I did in the previous 29.

Being able to see the full 24 hour picture is so instructive compared to the occasional strip snapshot.

Best of luck with it!

Reactions: Peter_Sylvester

LauraPalmer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the thread @Peter_Sylvester, and to all for some really helpful posts.

I decided to invest in the starter pack which arrived today, and am so pleased with it so far. I've been having some issues with BG going too low at work, and anxiety about this has led me to overcompensate and run too high on busy days - I think the discreet testing and indication of trends will really help.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reading this thread, why do people with Type2 care if their BG increase with exercise, as we know that exercise is good for long term BG control regradless of any liver dump it may trigger?

P

Peter_Sylvester

Reading this thread, why do people with Type2 care if their BG increase with exercise, as we know that exercise is good for long term BG control regradless of any liver dump it may trigger?
I think it is all about knowledge @ringi...
In my own case, it seems that some forms of exercise INCREASE my BG, whilst other forms REDUCE my readings.
This means ( to me ) that I need to plan different strategies for post-exercise actions, otherwise I could potentially suffer a Hypo. Or I could have a big spike.
Personally, I want to make sure that the actions that I take are the best actions, and I can only do that with knowledge.
It's just my take on the situation, and I am still learning, so I am happy to hear comments by others.

P

Peter_Sylvester

Thanks for the thread @Peter_Sylvester, and to all for some really helpful posts.

I decided to invest in the starter pack which arrived today, and am so pleased with it so far. I've been having some issues with BG going too low at work, and anxiety about this has led me to overcompensate and run too high on busy days - I think the discreet testing and indication of trends will really help.
DITTO @LauraPalmer ..!
I took the plunge following advice on this thread, and received mine on Saturday.
So far, the results - and the detail it gives me - are exceptional...
Fingers crossed..!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a few more thoughts on libra. I just put on my second monitor about two days ago. It is most useful for the trends and changes pre/post food. Don’t get too caught up on the accuracy of the numbers and what they mean for hba1c. It seems to give me consistently high readings given my most recent hba1c results. Others seem to find the opposite that it consistently measures too low. As it is supposed to be accurate +/- 15% my theory is that the software they use to translate intertestial fluid to glucose is targeted at some sort of average person and if you fall out of that range your results will be more in the +/- 15% range. My BMI is lower than average so that may be why I am off.

It tends to be least accurate for the first couple days then seems to settle in. Also if you get an odd result (it measured 8.8 when I got off the couch and 5.7 15 minutes later last night) it is just wrong. Sometimes though I get an unusual reading and it seems to stick with it but I still question it. I have seen this with high readings that trend down slowly after a shower and these crazy exercise spikes I was getting that I now think were totally wrong. As the manual says, use a strip if the results are odd I haven’t done that though. Expect some odd results though and don’t get concerned by them

I am using mine just to see the relative impact that various things have and it seems to be working well with that. My goal this time was to look at exercise and small carb increases. Next February assuming all is going well I am going to look at the impact of larger carb increases. Mind you my carb base now is about 30g a day.

Good luck!

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I got some big spikes according to my libra of 15 during intensive training where my hr was about 90 percent max for 45 minutes. That seemed too high to me so I reduced intensity. Trying again i am just going up to 9 and then 6s shortly after. Totally fine with that! The libra sensor was just wrong I think.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say yes - it helped me bring my A1C down by almost half in three months. BUT ... I have had a run of duff sensors over the last two months, and I seem to be reacting to either the skintac, sensor adhesiive, tegaderm (over the top) or a combination thereof!

That being said - if it means avoid finger pricking umpteen times a day then go for it. Just be prepared to be firm but polite with them if your sensor goes on a voyage of discovery!

P

Peter_Sylvester

Just a few more thoughts on libra. I just put on my second monitor about two days ago. It is most useful for the trends and changes pre/post food. Don’t get too caught up on the accuracy of the numbers and what they mean for hba1c. It seems to give me consistently high readings given my most recent hba1c results. Others seem to find the opposite that it consistently measures too low. As it is supposed to be accurate +/- 15% my theory is that the software they use to translate intertestial fluid to glucose is targeted at some sort of average person and if you fall out of that range your results will be more in the +/- 15% range. My BMI is lower than average so that may be why I am off.

It tends to be least accurate for the first couple days then seems to settle in. Also if you get an odd result (it measured 8.8 when I got off the couch and 5.7 15 minutes later last night) it is just wrong. Sometimes though I get an unusual reading and it seems to stick with it but I still question it. I have seen this with high readings that trend down slowly after a shower and these crazy exercise spikes I was getting that I now think were totally wrong. As the manual says, use a strip if the results are odd I haven’t done that though. Expect some odd results though and don’t get concerned by them

I am using mine just to see the relative impact that various things have and it seems to be working well with that. My goal this time was to look at exercise and small carb increases. Next February assuming all is going well I am going to look at the impact of larger carb increases. Mind you my carb base now is about 30g a day.

Good luck!
Great reply @CL_in_NZ - this sounds as though you use it EXACTLY as I want to use it.
I am only a few days into using mine now, and already it has given me some detailed insights about how my bloods / body / food are inter-reacting. What I have already spotted in the trends, is the importance of exercise soon after food, to counteract the normal food spikes.
I plan to open a new thread to share my experiences - please look out for it, and I would love to receive your continued comments.
Thank you, once again.
I appreciate it.
Peter

P

Peter_Sylvester

I would say yes - it helped me bring my A1C down by almost half in three months. BUT ... I have had a run of duff sensors over the last two months, and I seem to be reacting to either the skintac, sensor adhesiive, tegaderm (over the top) or a combination thereof!

That being said - if it means avoid finger pricking umpteen times a day then go for it. Just be prepared to be firm but polite with them if your sensor goes on a voyage of discovery!
Thanks @RFSMarch - the repetitive finger pricking was becoming a big barrier for me, so much so that I stopped doing it ( ! ) ...
The benefit of of being able to (discretely) check my bloods is already proving to be a huge benefit to me (and I am only a few days in) - I am now checking more regularly, and can not only see the direction of my trends, but also how long the impact that each particular food group has on me.
I am going to start a new thread to share my experiences over time - I would love your insights and contribution if possible.
Thanks again - I appreciate it
Peter

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @RFSMarch - the repetitive finger pricking was becoming a big barrier for me, so much so that I stopped doing it ( ! ) ...
The benefit of of being able to (discretely) check my bloods is already proving to be a huge benefit to me (and I am only a few days in) - I am now checking more regularly, and can not only see the direction of my trends, but also how long the impact that each particular food group has on me.
I am going to start a new thread to share my experiences over time - I would love your insights and contribution if possible.
Thanks again - I appreciate it
Peter
In the off-season I am actually going to start writing about the challenges of diabetes when on the road as a sports reporter... so will be sure to point you in the direction of the site.
In the mean time, anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I sort of like the idea of the FreeStyle Libre (into gadgets) but as I pretty well have my BG under control and my HbA1c is now 35 I am unsure as to whether it would be of any real benefit to me though I do intend to keep testing and am fed up with sore fingers so I am still undecided as to whether to get one or not. decisions decisions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sort of like the idea of the FreeStyle Libre (into gadgets) but as I pretty well have my BG under control and my HbA1c is now 35 I am unsure as to whether it would be of any real benefit to me though I do intend to keep testing and am fed up with sore fingers so I am still undecided as to whether to get one or not. decisions decisions.

I would say it is worth a try with the 2 sensors in the starter pack. The reader is also a blood glucose meter, so with the right strips you can have a spare. There are so many little things you never realise - and they are also very useful on holidays.