From 10.2% to 5.8%

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my HbA1c results back, and from 10.2% (84) in August, and probably much higher over the winter as I wasn't low carbing and was on corticosteroids, I have since May managed to lower it to 5.8% (40). I think that is pretty impressive, especially since my bgl has been higher than average this last month due to a wicked cold and much stress, leading to restless nights.

My doctor and I disagreed on whether to start medication last year, and he also mentioned it this year (he didn't know my new HbA1c result at the time.) However, he is a great doctor who listens to what his patients want to do, even when he thinks it's not the best way forward, so I got no grief from him. I want to save medications until I no longer manage to control my blood glucose levels through only diet and exercise, while he thinks it's better to start metformin immediately so that the results can be achieved more easily. Being diagnosed at 41, my thoughs are that I have, hopefully, 40+ years to live with this disease, so there'll come a time when, due to illness or other things, I won't be able to control things as easily as I do now. This result is solely due to diet, as I haven't had time to start exercising, but that is of course the next step. If I'm lucky, it'll help with the stress too!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic result! Keep up the good work! And I always say Drs are there to advise, not dictate. Like me it sounds like you have a good GP.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being diagnosed at 41, my thoughs are that I have, hopefully, 40+ years to live with this disease, so there'll come a time when, due to illness or other things, I won't be able to control things as easily as I do now. This result is solely due to diet, as I haven't had time to start exercising, but that is of course the next step. If I'm lucky, it'll help with the stress too!
Great result, well done!

Your thought process on medication is the same as mine. I'm 43 and was diagnosed is July this year. The nurse couldn't understand my determination to manage this without medication, until at my most recent appointment I explained to her the thought process you've outlined there - i.e. by managing diabetes with the lowest level strategy, diet and exercise, I have more options in reserve should I need them. She's been pretty supportive since and seems to now get where I'm coming from.