From 21.5 to 3.3 in two and a half hours?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, can anyone tell me how my BS can go from 21.5 to 3.3 in two and a half hours without me actually doing anything? I really don’t understand this diabetes!

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you eat and drink and how much insulin did you take??

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have 14 units of lantus in the morning and 10 units at bed time. Hadn’t eaten anything.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
To be honest I would say that amount of Basel would do the same and has done the same to me I had to reduce my Basel to stop the extreme changes in bg , try reducing a few units at a time maybe and see how you go .

Reactions: JAT1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 14 units of lantus in the morning and 10 units at bed time. Hadn’t eaten anything.
Is this your usual dose?
No other medications for diabetes?

I assume you normally eat, so not eating anything while taking your usual dose of insulin can have played a role, even if it's long acting insulin.

Did you take a second test after washing hands to confirm the 21.5?

At what time did you have the low, and at what time did you have the Lantus?

Last edited:

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If I just were to take my usual dose of Lanus (16 units) in the morning it wouldn’t affect me until mid afternoon. If I hadn’t eaten I would drop from 9-10 to <3 by about 2pm. I also take 10 units Lantus about 9pm. If I top up too much with bolus I can get a low alarm about 4am. I find my levels usually go up without eating, bit of a chance I suppose but it seems to work for me. By 8am I’m back up to about 8 or 9 and the process starts again!

• Informative

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Were these readings double checked?
If they were finger pricks, you may have had something on your hand.
If they were from a CGM, they are designed to be most accurate at “normal” levels and will over estimate highs and lows.
To be honest I would say that amount of Basel would do the same and has done the same to me I had to reduce my Basel to stop the extreme changes in bg , try reducing a few units at a time maybe and see how you go .
The amount of insulin someone needs is variable. The dose may be too high for you but could be low for others. I may no assumptions about what is a big (or small) dose for others.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Is this your usual dose?
No other medications for diabetes?

I assume you normally eat, so not eating anything while taking your usual dose of insulin can have played a role, even if it's long acting insulin.

Did you take a second test after washing hands to confirm the 21.5?

At what time did you have the low, and at what time did you have the Lantus?
Yes my normal dose. I’m on metformin but have run out, empaglaflozin and another that’s starts with D but can’t remember the name.

No I don’t eat breakfast only when I’m at work. I have my lantus anytime between 5am up to 11am. This day it was at around 9 am. I tested about 2pm when it was 21.5 didn’t retest. It was around 4.30ish time when I started feeling low.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes my normal dose. I’m on metformin but have run out, empaglaflozin and another that’s starts with D but can’t remember the name.

No I don’t eat breakfast only when I’m at work. I have my lantus anytime between 5am up to 11am. This day it was at around 9 am. I tested about 2pm when it was 21.5 didn’t retest. It was around 4.30ish time when I started feeling low.
If you didn't retest, I would highly doubt that 21.5 result.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I do Lantus.

Looks like you split dose? What time did you inject at “bed time.?”

Was it also a new cartridge or pen??

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Were these readings double checked?
If they were finger pricks, you may have had something on your hand.
If they were from a CGM, they are designed to be most accurate at “normal” levels and will over estimate highs and lows.

The amount of insulin someone needs is variable. The dose may be too high for you but could be low for others. I may no assumptions about what is a big (or small) dose for others.
Exactly ! that is why we have to try it and see what works for our own individual needs , what works for me might not work for anybody else , .

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi,

I do Lantus.

Looks like you split dose? What time did you inject at “bed time.?”

Was it also a new cartridge or pen??
Hi, it wasn’t a new pen. It wouldn’t have been between 9.30/10.30.

I always wash hands before testing too.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I always wash hands before testing too
But did you confirm that 21.5 by doing a second test?
It's possible to have a faulty test strip and the accuracy standard of +/-15% is for 95% of the tests, the 95% means that 1 in 20 results could be wildly inaccurate