Gaining Weight

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i'm 16 and rather skinny, i have been since my diagnosis three years ago but i was wondering if anyone had any good tips to put on weight because i have that awkward body type where it's hard to put some on and it doesn't help my injections as i don't have too much fat in my injection spots?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In many ways better to be skinny than fat but I can understand; my wife is always telling me I'm too thin! Do have as much protein and fatty foods as you want as well as veg and just keep the carbs down a bit. I assume you are using 4mm needles?

Reactions: 2 people

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In many ways better to be skinny than fat but I can understand; my wife is always telling me I'm too thin! Do have as much protein and fatty foods as you want as well as veg and just keep the carbs down a bit. I assume you are using 4mm needles?
Yeah using 4mm and it would be easier having a bit more fat around i would make injections easier and less painful

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So long as you're not underweight, I'd suggest you eat to your meter. You're probably still growing so you're going to be competing with high metabolism driven by hormones. May be worth a check for over active thyroid?

What is your Body Mass Index - do you have any idea about your body fat percentage? Both of those will give an indication of paths you could follow.

Hope that helps.

Thankyou, my annual reviews coming up so i'll get everything tested and my weight and body mass is only just above he minimum it should be for my age and height, it would be easier having a little more fat around

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jonathan.

To put on weight the best thing to eat is carbs. Ask anyone who has to put on weight quickly and they'll recommend a calorific diet, definitely including a large carb content.

Turn it round the other way... What do you cut out if you want to lose weight? Carbs. So what should you increase to put weight on?...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely that isn't good advice, to eat more carbs. You could only process them by whacking up your insulin, and is that a good idea? Surely high fat is the way to go. And bulletproof coffees, and lots of cream with any fruit you eat. That's a much safer way to go Jonathan. Have a google.