Getting Legless

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, disclaimer: this thread has nothing to do with alcohol!

Does anyone else find that for up to several hours after a hypo they have really weak legs? This doesn't always happen but maybe one in every three moderate to severe hypos makes me feel like I'm slightly paralysed from the waist down. This doesn't affect my arms - in fact I sometimes climb the stairs using just my arms as they keep all their strength while my legs are all floppy and useless.

Obviously I've looked all over the internet and haven't really found anything that seems to match what I'm feeling. It's intermittent, and when my legs aren't made of watery jelly I play football and cycle and go to the gym so I don't think it's got anything to do with neurophathy. And I also know that weakness during a hypo is totally understandable, but this can last for hours after recovery.

Please, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

May thanks,

J

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Jeremy_Wood There's lots of symptoms attached to hypos that can be a bit strange - your symptoms afterwards sound very much like your muscles are depleted of glucose so hence the weak legs syndrome but as i'm not medical professional it may well be worthwhile mentioning this to your consultant at your next review. I have to admit my whole body feels weak after a particularly low episode, so for me it's just go slow and take it easy for a while, I tend to get the shakes with the hypo too, I don't think any of this is connected to neuropathy at all just lack of glucose in the muscles :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jeremy_Wood it's not something I've experienced myself - any post-hypo symptoms I get are - to tie in with your 'legless' description - more akin to feeling hungover. But we're all different! Might be worth talking to your diabetes team about it.
:)