EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, looks like my local pharmacy/chemist has given up on stocking glucose tablets (lift glucotabs) have been on back order for 3 months) so if I want specific glucose tablets I need to order online.

This requires a bit more organisation than before but I can do it.

But am wondering how much of a dfference pure glucose makes versus buying a large variety pack of 90% "sugar" lollies/sweets from the supermarket (more convenient in terms of I don't need to buy ahead).

Typically I'm looking for a quick (and speed is of the essence) hit when my bg has just hit 4.4 and my dexcom alerts. If I take some sugar (fructose/sucrose) immediately it usually goes below 4 before it starts ascending.

Anyone got any hard facts or impressions?

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Fastest acting for me is definitely Lift glucojuice.

Thanks for that, will definitely have to give it a try

I will esperiment. Do you find it significantly faster than sweet alternatives?

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if you can get them but I find Glucojel Jelly Beans (they have 30% glucose not sucrose) work just as quickly, for me, as the glucose tablets. Actually, maybe quicker because I can eat them faster. They do have sucrose/cane sugar in them as well as the glucose

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, looks like my local pharmacy/chemist has given up on stocking glucose tablets (lift glucotabs) have been on back order for 3 months) so if I want specific glucose tablets I need to order online.

But am wondering how much of a dfference pure glucose makes versus buying a large variety pack of 90% "sugar" lollies/sweets from the supermarket (more convenient in terms of I don't need to buy ahead).

Typically I'm looking for a quick (and speed is of the essence) hit when my bg has just hit 4.4 and my dexcom alerts. If I take some sugar (fructose/sucrose) immediately it usually goes below 4 before it starts ascending.

To be fair @EllieM ,

(Appreciated I use a Libre sensor.)
In my experience there can often always be a further drop before it ascends on treatment? Used to be the same with a meter.
Which is why I don’t keep banging a lancet into my hand every 2 minutes waiting to come back up?

Jelly babies or these “Haribo sour” things which are cheaper than JBs, picked up for a quid at my local garage..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Jelly babies or these “Haribo sour” things which are cheaper than JBs, picked up for a quid at my local garage..
EXactly what I was thinking, but was wondering if they are significantly slower than glucose.

And if I have a sudden crash to the low 3s I do fingerprick test every 2 minutes till I'm going back up :):banghead::arghh:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EXactly what I was thinking, but was wondering if they are significantly slower than glucose.

And if I have a sudden crash to the low 3s I do fingerprick test every 2 minutes till I'm going back up :):banghead::arghh:
All I know is I can treat & keep going with easy tasks at work? But then I wouldn’t, if operating machinery. :D

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I stick with Lift Glucota BG s which I buy from ebay in bulk so there is little advanced planning necessary and they are significantly cheaper than buying from my local pharmacy.
I confess I am more limited with sweets as I avoid jellies due to the non vegetarian gelatin. There are veggie options available but they are often more expensive.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I confess I am more limited with sweets as I avoid jellies due to the non vegetarian gelatin. There are veggie options available but they are often more expensive.
I choose my sweets carefully because if I like them I'm liable to overtreat my hypo. Plus if anyone in the house likes them they may get eaten by others.

(To be fair, if my partner knows something is for hypos he now won't touch it. I gave him a very hard time when I bough some sweets in a tin for the car, and they all got eaten, not by me).

Reactions: In Response

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not very convenient for 'on the go treatment', but at home I often use a teaspoon of runny honey. Works well.

For a guaranteed response I use GlucoGel which I get on prescription, but I only use them in emergencies. No enjoyment. My favourite go to is Jelly Babies:p. Sometimes I over inject just to go low!

ONLY KIDDING!!

• Funny

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@EllieM , I’m always in danger of over treating hypos when I wake from them? Night lows. Survival instinct from when I was a kid on porcine.

Day lows, I can manage an appropriate amount. Lol, I’m too busy with my hands for anything else if at work. & during a gig I use lucozade. Though to be fair with gigs my basal is tailing off & I’ve no Novorapid onboard.. (but you’ve seen the graph on gig night.)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glucogel, which is used in sport is easily carried, convenient and in a sachet, which has a certain amount to treat the hypo. You can get them from sport outlets, as for expense, no idea.

My club have them on offer every month and come in boxes sent direct from factory. They don't use sports drinks or anything else except glucogel and a supplement, but I can't remember what that is called!

It does work fast!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that, will definitely have to give it a try

I will esperiment. Do you find it significantly faster than sweet alternatives?
Most of the time I do, especially if I've not long had food. Definitely significantly faster if bloods are dropping fast or I've recently had food containing fat. I'd be interested to know how your experiment goes.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Glucogel, which is used in sport is easily carried, convenient and in a sachet, which has a certain amount to treat the hypo. You can get them from sport outlets, as for expense, no idea.

My club have them on offer every month and come in boxes sent direct from factory. They don't use sports drinks or anything else except glucogel and a supplement, but I can't remember what that is called!

It does work fast!
Hiya, just in case I thought I'd mention that boots do tubs of glucose lift tabs, containing 50 tabs for £3.75.

Vince01

Hi EllieM,
Sorry to hear about your glucose problems,
I have hypos but not very often.
Morissons supermarket sells Dextrose energy glucose tablets/sweets (orange flavour). I find,within, 10 mins I'm back to "normal".
75p a pack but, quite, often £1 for two.
Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-A137F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Fastest thing for me is “ full fat “ coke cola it’s the only sugar drink which didn’t have its sugar content removed when the “ heath “ bug was about , I find the liquid is absorbed quicker for me , but no matter what “quick “ acting sugar I initially take I always take a longer acting carb soon afterwards , I know some people have concerns about goin* high after hypos but getting rid of the hypo is always the goal , higher levels can be sorted when hypo is settled ,

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hiya, just in case I thought I'd mention that boots do tubs of glucose lift tabs, containing 50 tabs for £3.75.
Yes, I used to buy the tubs of 50, and refill my tubes with them. (My containers for test strips are also exactly the right size for holding a smaller number of them). That's a good price, in New Zealand they are more like $20 when discounted , which is £10 .

Looks like you can get them in New Zealand but I can only find one online supplier, a medical company.

Definitely feeling "supply chain" issues here (as in I'm at the end of a long one) but you've all given me some great ideas to try. I'll do some comparative tests and post the results but you'll have to be patient, as I'll need to get it all delivered and then wait for the next hypo...

Scores for
1) speed of bg rise
2) convenience of packaging
3) taste (don't want to be tempted to have more than I need but if it's too foul I may be reluctant to take it at all). Raspberry flavour glucotabs anyone?