GP and feeling ignored

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, that means she is classed as an adult then, under the privacy guidelines. Unless there are reasons for adult intervention. I understand the need for these guidelines but sometimes a parent or other adult can be helpful when arranging things : (
Adult "1 on 1" intervention can & does help...

My non D wife was waiting with no immediate news for an appointment for suspected Glaucoma & a referral by her optician. (common condition with a long wait. by all accounts.)
Since i was sorting out my own treatment dates for a macula oedema, (same department, different day.) I stuck my neck out..
My wife managed to get an appointment & treatment for my wife a couple of months ago? as opposed to an anticipated wait until this coming August...

The magic can happen... ;)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adult "1 on 1" intervention can & does help...

My non D wife was waiting with no immediate news for an appointment for suspected Glaucoma & a referral by her optician. (common condition with a long wait. by all accounts.)
Since i was sorting out my own treatment dates for a macula oedema, (same department, different day.) I stuck my neck out..
My wife managed to get an appointment & treatment a couple of months ago? as opposed to an anticipated wait until this coming August...

The magic can happen... ;)
that is good to know. i wasnt able to help with a relative with mental health issues, and it got very bad until a retired gp who knew the situation intervened unofficially.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that is good to know. i wasnt able to help with a relative with mental health issues, and it got very bad until a retired gp who knew the situation intervened unofficially.
I can empathise the intention of good will. can be frustrating regarding certain protocols..
Sometimes it just all boils down to plain ol' solid commonsense as opposed to just blind "job's worth." :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Given the OP's symptoms, I'd be worried about T1 and DKA. She says her parents are diabetic, I'm assuming T2, because if one of my kids presented with her symptoms I'd be fearing T1 and badgering the hospital and GP until some immediate blood tests, particularly HbA1C, were done. I just can't understand why the hospital didn't do an HbA1C when she went to A&E.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I find the sequence of posts by the OP a little confusing.
As others have said, it’s usually up to a GP to request an HbA1C. It doesn’t have to be done by a hospital.
The OP is an adult.
There are repeated claims that symptoms concur with diabetes but so far it seems that no GP action has occurred other than a 24 hour urine measurement.
At one stage, when advised to ring 111 because the OP claimed blood sugars were high, the OP said they were tired and were going to bed.
I’m trying to work out what’s going on here.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @thegeekyblonde, have you been back to the GP yet?
Are there other surgeries where you live? If you’re diabetic and have so far received no treatment then it may be time for you to find a different medic.
If your symptoms persist then another visit to the A&E might be needed. Ask there and then for an HbA1C. Tell them ALL your symptoms. Don’t let them send you away without a very good explanation of why they’re not taking things further?
And let us know how you get on.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another thought, @thegeekyblonde, how does your parents’ diabetes impact on your own life? I know this may be an intrusive question so only answer if you want to.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently anti depressants raise your blood glucose levels