Guarantee diabetes?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watching Jeremy Kyle this morning and there was a 30 year old man on there who weighed 33 stone.
There was a doctor there who did tests on him and things and he said that he guarantees that by the time he is 40 he will have diabetes.

Can he really say that? :S

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Can't really guarantee anything ! Bit harsh but he may die at 35 so theory out the window straight away. My guess would be that there is so much visceral fat that the pancreas can take before it can't work properly ? Mind you, I'm no doc !

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess so, just seemed like a strange thing to say!
I don't see how you can guarantee such a thing!

Indiana x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe anyone is daring to criticise jezza.....!! Haha

Nothing is for sure, but I guess he's just trying scare tactics to get the guy to sort himself out

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would never criticise Jezza! :D
Just thought it was an odd thing to guarantee!

Indiana x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it probably means as fat increases then the odds become so great it's almost a certainty.
One of the most prevalent theories today is that when fat is safely ensconced in fat cells it doesn't actually cause a problem. This is where fat is supposed to be stored.
Once fat cells are full, they become dysfunctional.. Fat has to find other places, and starts a whole cascade of processes leading to insulin resistance and failing beta cells. People have different fat cell capacities; some have fewer cells, some have small cells, some have more cells and some have larger cells. That's why some people develop T2 at quite low levels of fat (there are even people that have lipodistrophy and don't have many fat cells at all, they are outwardly very thin but have a lot of fat around the organs and are extremely insulin resistant needing hundreds or even thousands of units of insulin)
' Those who don't get diabetes are not filled their fat depots up to the limits and hence have not reached the step that elicit the processes that induce insulin resistance.' (Global Diabetes Course Prof. Thorkild I A Sorensen )
There must be a limit to each persons fat capacity. The 'primary depot' of fat is in the hip and thigh those that are developing a pattern of lots of stomach /trunk fat are more likely to be approaching that limit.

Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I would be interested to know which tests they are and what the results were.

There are various markers in the blood which can be used as precursors for the onset of diabetes.
Also, if he tested pre-diabetic then the guarantee looks pretty solid.

I would say that the guarantee would only stand if the person didn't change diet, exercise etc.

If the guy lost 20 stone then I don't think the guarantee would stand ;-)

Then again, in my biased opinion the Jeremy Kyle show doesn't always take the rigorous intellectual high ground.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great explanation by Phoenix......................................but Jeremy Kyle....................REALLY :eek:

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, that makes sense.

The JK show is my guilty pleasure!

Indiana x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Embarrassing bodies" is another strange format...

"Yes I've has this issue for several years & has caused barriers when it comes to intimacy with the opposite sex & I've been too ashamed to address this with my GP."

But I'm quite happy to drop my kecks in front of a film crew & sign a docket to have this aired on prime time TV..!