Had a read of the NICE Guidelines - it's quite revealing...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
But its the CCGs that are responsible for redlining or double red lining drugs....

I have actually written to all the Directors of NICE individually asking them questions under the FOI 2000 Act asking them specifics regards redlining and their processes to ensure CCGs are accurately evaluating cost of drugs.. I await the outcome. They have 28 days from Yesrerday to respond.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That'll be an interesting one. Interestingly, in your attempts to win Degludec, it may be worth referring to the 2015 update on the costs of treatment. Detemir twice daily is easily the winner in most cases, so it may be worth making your degludec case against that, as you are guaranteed twice daily use of needles, air shots, etc, and it is the recommended form of basal treatment.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi All I used NICE guidelines to get funding for my CGM, it took me best part of 9months and 10 page presentation,perhaps I am lucky,but I have some very good contacts within the NHS and was able to get a lot of costings for hospital admissions and stays in hospital,ambulance call out costs.For anybody who wants to know I have been type1 for over 52 years and have lost my Hypo awareness for the past 3 years and have avoided hospital admission for this,just,thanks to my wife who recognise the signs,bless her.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That'll be an interesting one. Interestingly, in your attempts to win Degludec, it may be worth referring to the 2015 update on the costs of treatment. Detemir twice daily is easily the winner in most cases, so it may be worth making your degludec case against that, as you are guaranteed twice daily use of needles, air shots, etc, and it is the recommended form of basal treatment.

I gave them a real life scenario of me!! And the costings that they could save.

Good point though, if I need to go to Omsbudsman or appeal then I can include determir twice a day as well. Trouble is.. That would not be real life scenario... determir may be less dosage????

Thats why I'm asking for info on other posting of other persons that have used lantus or levemir and whether they reduced dosage on tresiba....

I think the NHS just see a price for 5 cartridges and miss the bigger pucture as the persons assessing have no knowledge of the other factors. It would be like me going to assess a school to make cutbacks... Unless I was a teacher or a child I wouldn't have a clue on what to be basing my decisions upon....

I know of someone who was prescribed a different cream than his normal one as it was changed by the CCG to a different one because of cost.. The new cream was cheaper but 1) the patient was allergic to an ingredient in it and nobody picked up on this but also the cream that was prescribed cheaper was actually a smaller tube and the costings again had not been wotlrked out. Somebody just saw the cream as being cheaper without looking at the size of the tube.

Our NHS needs to be able to assess the bigger pictures...

Reactions: 2 people

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been reading through a few of your previous posts and am very interested to find out the new NICE guildlines for the CGM's as i have discussed with my consultant how benefical a CGM would be to me and he agrees, as i have erratic HYPOS and have lost all my awareness of HYPOS, my husband had to pack up work in 2006 to care for me due to him having to come home frequently and find me passed out on the floor. I tried the insulin pump in 2010 but this did not work for me apart from causing my levels to go through the roof,i became very anxious of having to change the tubing every 3 days worrying if the insulin was going through properly. But with a CGM i feel that my life will be close to normal again and my husband can return to work knowing that this little machine will warn me if my sugars drop or go to high

tracey167