Hba1c reduction happiness

Lexilulu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my latest results since going onto a CGM and adding in FIASP.

It has been a massive learning curve to get things under control. All the more complicated by being a steroid induced, insulin dependent diabetic on long term high dose prednisolone.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 12.37.47.jpg

I’m happy so far, it’s only been about 10 weeks between tests!

It has been lots of hard work though…definitely need both eyes on the ball or CGM in this case - and a strict low carb eating regime. When the steroids push you up to 12 mmol without food, there is no room for extra carbs!

Onwards and upwards!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 12.37.47.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 12.37.47.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 31

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, well done you! That's great news no wonder you are happy. :) I sometimes have to take prednisolone eye drops as I have an eye condition, but I have been assured by both my surgeon and my optometrist that I don't take enough to affect my blood sugars.

Lexilulu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, well done you! That's great news no wonder you are happy. :) I sometimes have to take prednisolone eye drops as I have an eye condition, but I have been assured by both my surgeon and my optometrist that I don't take enough to affect my blood sugars.

Thank you!

I am sure I read somewhere that the method of administration can increase risks of steroid induced hyperglycaemia in people with diabetes. I think oral tablets and intravenous steroids pose higher risks, than say topical or inhaled methods.

A lot of people find it is also dose dependent, so lower doses present less of an issue apparently.

I seem ok when I get off steroids…but I think it’s been over 2.5 years since I was able to - so I have no idea what I’ll be left with if - I suspect I’ve probably crossed over to being a fully fledged type 2…

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77 and Melgar

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info @Lexilulu . I only use them when eye ulcers develop or I have edemas in my eyes. I have Fuchs disease. Obviously, there is a medical reason for you being on them for that length of time. I am not a Dr, but med induced health issues, not just diabetes, usually cease once you are off the drugs, but not always. Again very well done. Your diligence paid off. That's great, although nasty that your blood sugars go to around 12 mmol/ls without food.

Reactions: Lexilulu