HBa1C

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to get my HBa1c down by 1% within 6 weeks.
a) Can this be done?
b) Anyone done this before and if so how?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to get my HBa1c down by 1% within 6 weeks.
a) Can this be done?
b) Anyone done this before and if so how?
I am not sure how the percentages match up with the usual units, but I went from a HbA1c of 91 to 47 in 80 days by eating a low carb diet. With no more than 50 gm of carbs a day, all from low carb foods, it was easy.
I did not get any blurring of eyesight, but that has been a problem for some people making rapid changes to glucose levels. I did have a few false hypos as my levels dropped, but nothing serious or debilitating.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you. wow... 91 to 47 in 11 weeks. Based on that, Im sure I can get my HBa1C from 8.4 to 7 if I do the same. I need it to be in the 7% for my airline medical. I will start low carb today and start googling for recipes.
Thank you

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went from 14% to 5.5% in 3 months with low carb (<100g/day in the 2nd & 3rd month), exercise, a teeny amount of insulin for a couple of weeks, and the dreaded eyesight loss for a month or so as it was so quick, so I'm probably a success and a failure and maybe not exactly what you need :rolleyes:

But as you are on insulin, then I would hazard a guess that you 'just' need to balance that correctly to your food/carb intake - I am no expert on that, but know its's not so simple! For the logic of averages though, you could swing wildly from high glucose to hypos and still get a good HbA1c, so not sure of the logic for your medical.

Good luck in getting the results you need!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you. wow... 91 to 47 in 11 weeks. Based on that, Im sure I can get my HBa1C from 8.4 to 7 if I do the same. I need it to be in the 7% for my airline medical. I will start low carb today and start googling for recipes.
Thank you
Please be aware that @Resurgam has T2, and treats her diabetes with diet only, no risk for hypos.
Still, lower carb can help with T1 as well, I find it much easier to dose for lower carb foods.

But if you try, please be very careful and make sure you adjust your insulin accordingly!

Do you use a CGM to spot trends? When are you going high and why. If you can work this out, you can work out what you can do to reduce the highs without going hypo all the time.

RhythmInside

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you starting from?

I went from 108 in August 23 to 42 in November 23.
I switched sugar drinks for water with a small dash of sugar free lime cordial and the occasional sugar free tonic water or cola for 4 weeks then started to drink more sugar free cola.
I stopped all sweets and chocolates for 8 weeks and then started to eat 1 or 2 mini chocolates a couple of times a week. I get around my need for sweet things by buying low calorie snacks, looking at the carbs and sugars (things with less than 3grams per bar) and allowed myself rich tea biscuits which are low in sugar.
I have recently found Stevia sweetener which doesn’t contain carbs or sugars which I add to plain yoghurt and can use in cooking.
The biggest change was carbs. I switched potatoes to sweet potatoes for mash, chips, etc and increased salad with meals, and cut the amounts of rice and pasta I eat. I also increased the protein in my diet.
The thing that surprised me was the sugars in fruit. I ate a lot of grapes and strawberries so swapped them for apples.
It can be difficult to maintain but is worth it.
I also lost 5kg in that time and reduced my cholesterol from 6 to 2.5.

My biggest problem now is that my sugars are dropping to below 4 during the day so have had my meds reduced while I get the balance right.

Good luck. It is achievable.