Hello - newly diagnosed T2!

Horsham109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone, I was diagnosed as T2 just before Christmas - Happy Christmas to me LOL!
My HbAc test came back at 77 and fasting blood tests in the morning were at 12 / 13.

The diabetic nurse at out practice told me to come back for my next blood test in 3 months and in the meantime to try and get my weight down and to reduce my sugar levels.

My husband is also diabetic (diagnosed approx 6 years ago in Feb) so we have focused on managing this together.

Over the last 2 months I've lost 18 lbs (still a long way to go) and I am using the various fitness programmes on the Wii to track my progress.

We have focused on reducing carbs and replacing with above ground vegetables and it seems to be working so far - I have been wanting to know my current blood sugar levels so have today ordered a meter so I can check my sugar levels and be more in control.

I also wanted to say that I have read through a lot of these forums and there seems to be a lot of good advice here - thanks all!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here Horsham109

to own ones own meter is essential to having good control..... really worth the money..

I´ll tag @daisy1 so you´ll get the welcome information everyone new gets in here

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome to the forum. You have managed really well to lose so much weight in just a couple of months. Don't forget with type 2 that you also need to increase your fitness levels, so about 30 min walking each day. This will help to firm as you lose weight. Don't forget that you will also be able to get into all those lovely clothes that you put in the back of your wardrobe because they were too tight and by the summer you will find that your clothes will flow more.
Do keep a note for a while of everything that you eat and drink with how it affects your bg.You may also find that wheat flour or products with grains affect you, but with your meter you can find that out and take control. Increasing the healthy fats that you eat helps you to feel full and gives you energy for all that extra walking you do. If you can view it as a bit of an adventure, finding out about your body it stays fun and it helped me to stick at it until it became more automatic making choices that were healthy for me. Best wishes on your adventure.

Reactions: Prem51

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello, welcome.

The meter will be a great tool and there are various ways of using it.

Test fasting daily, put Ina spreadsheet and produce the average for the week - watch progress.

Test before, 1 and 2 hours after a meal - and if it's not falling by 2 hours, test at 3 hours as well. This shows you how the foods and portion sizes you are eating affect you, and can be a real motivator to change.

Bear in mind, though, that blood glucose is fickle and affected by many things. Look for trends rather than an explanation for every little change. You will get highs you can't explain. We have to live with that.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Horsham109 and welcome to the forum. Well done on your weight loss so far, that should also mean your blood sugar levels will be decreasing. It's good you are getting a bs meter, you will be able to see which foods affect you and how you are progressing. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Horsham109 and Welcome to the Forum :). Well Done on your weight loss and brilliant that you have ordered a vital piece of equipment = a Blood Glucose Meter.

Horsham109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Again and thanks for all of the support so far.
I wanted to provide a bit of an update if that's OK and to ask some opinions?

I have now lost just over 1.5 stone in weight since December and yesterday I finally tested out my Codefree meter - had been putting it off as I was a bit scared LOL!
Well anyway, I tested last night and had readings of 6.0 and 6.3, then for today I have seen 5.0 this morning and 5.5 after lunch.
Looking at some of the information in here those readings are OK but I just wanted to see what you more experienced people thought??
I made the mistake of not initially buying spare lancets and strips so ordered those last night as I have nearly used up the 10 that came with my meter.

I need to go back in March for my next HbAc test and I am really, really hoping that these results show an improvement.
The nurse said last time that if the results didn't come down I may need to go on medication.

Any comments / advice etc would be really welcome! Thanks in advance

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are really good - better than mine and my Hba1c is now under the level considered diabetic. My doctor isn't talking to me - hopefully only because he doesn't think I need any help with this.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Horsham109
Those figures are better than mine so you are doing really well. When you get more strips it would be useful to test before a meal and 2 hours after. Write down the readings and what you ate. This will help you build up information as to how your body copes with different foods.
Well done on the weight loss as that helps a lot.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Horsham109 Yes those bs readings are good, and the code free meter reportedly reads a bit on the high side so your HbA1c result should be good if you maintain those sort of numbers . :)

Reactions: Liam1955