Help confused

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Just been to my diabetic review my blood sugars are up from 42 to 52 and I have gained 5kg. There are talking of increased medication already on 4 500g metformin I am really struggling with diet nurses advice was eat healthy and cut down portions but no more than that. I have fat free yoghurt and berries for breakfast, salad with chicken or a sandwich for lunch and a homecooked slimming world meal for tea snacks are an apple and banana what am I doing wrong because confused doesn't even start to begin how I feel I also do an hour of gym work 5 times a week

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, im sorry you didnt get the news you were hoping for after trying hard to fix things :( your numbers arent too bad though, all is not lost!

ive noticed you have posted this in low carb diet forum, are you wanting to try low carb as a means of control?

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Wanting to try anything low carb as been suggested as a good way

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
cool, it has worked great for me.....

ok the basic idea is that carbs turn into glucose, therefore we try to keep them to a minimum, everyone has a different idea as to how many carbs they can and should eat, this is where the testing comes in, if you test before and after your meal you can see if what you are eating is pushing up your blood glucose, your not a million miles away with what your eating, the breakfast yogurt should be full fat, 2 reasons for this are the low fat ones tends to contain sugar, when they take out the fat things tends to taste awful so they add sugar to compensate, so full fat yogurt with berries is great for brekkie, also the fat satiates you so you wont be as hungry as often, but again worth testing in case this dosent agree with you bg, other alternatives would be eggs and bacon, sauages etc, basically any meat is low carb, eggs are great too, the chicken salad is terrific, the sandwich not so good because bread is awfully carbolicious and should really be cut out altogether, any fruit apart from berries tends to be too carby for many, so testing is important here too, better to have some nuts, id avoid slimming world meals if they are ready made, anything ready made tends to be rubbish, this is generalising it may be fine i have no idea whats in it, so meats cheese, eggs, nuts, lots of above ground grown veg, lots of salad, avoid bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, things like cauliflower mash instead of potatoes, i have leaks with chinese five spice with my bolognaise, there are a gazillion different low carb recipes on the forum and the net id suggest having a read through them, how low you need to go will depend on the testing, how you get to your number is again another choice, you could either start low 30g ish and slowly up your carbs after a while and see how your blood tests go or work your way down slowly like i did and see how you go that way :) its weird at first but the results for most are amazing, im a huge fan of lchf so im totally biased therefore eveything ive said is my opinion, if you read through the forum you will see different opinions so you will have to decide which way you think is best, but i would suggest trying it, to see how well you will feel and how good your numbers can be

its a huge subject and dont know what you already know so ill stop rambling, please ask any specific questions you have :)

Reactions: 2 people

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks Andy I don't test and never have, I've been type 2 since Nov 2008 and was told not it wasn't needed so not sure how I would know if or what was having any effect will certainly read through the various forums thanks for the advice

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, do get yourself a monitor, it so good to be able to see what different foods do to your bg! I am very happy today as my bg never got above 5! It is through my monitor I have learnt the effect on bg food items have and thus avoid the bad ones.

I cant imagine how you are supposed to get bg down without a monitor.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
is the person that told you there was no need to test the same person suggesting you put your meds up?

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yes the diabetic nurse at the practice I have refused to up them until the next review which is why I'm keen to shed about 2 stone

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its criminal in my opinion, they give you terrible advice that causes bad bg control and then give you meds you may never need to cover the effects of their bad advice, please buy a meter and test, its the only way, expensive but essential low carbing is really good way of losing 2 stone

all my opinion only

Reactions: 4 people