Help...i forgot my insulin

D

Deleted Account

I im insulin dependent diabetic i for got to take my insulin what will happen
Hi @Janet shade. I am confused. Your profile says you have type 2 but your comments says you are insulin dependent. Insulin Dependent is another term for Type 1 diabetes.
If you have type 1 and completely dependent on insulin, you will very quickly go into ketoacidosis because your body does not produce any insulin.
If you have type 2 and treat it with insulin, you may feel unwell, lacking in energy, etc, but your body does produce insulin ... just not enough.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Janet shade. I am confused. Your profile says you have type 2 but your comments says you are insulin dependent. Insulin Dependent is another term for Type 1 diabetes.
If you have type 1 and completely dependent on insulin, you will very quickly go into ketoacidosis because your body does not produce any insulin.
If you have type 2 and treat it with insulin, you may feel unwell, lacking in energy, etc, but your body does produce insulin ... just not enough.

some type 2 stops producing insulin after years of having diabetes type 2.. so if their remaining insulin production is extremely low it can be as dangerous for them as for type 1...

Last edited:
Reactions: lizbet9

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It would be helpful if you could provide some more info, have you forgotten to administer a insulin dose or left home without your insulin supplies.

Reactions: Freema

JGLondon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke culture!
I am type 2 and have been using insulin for 11 years. I also use the DAFNE regime (carb counting etc.)

We all forget to take our insulin from time to time - all that happens is you get a higher than normal reading and have to adjust the next dose accordingly. No big deal unless you make a habit of doing it every day.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

It depends what type of insulin you missed... if basal then you'll have high sugar readings all day. If you missed a bolus injection with your meal you will have higher sugar levels for a short period.

@helensaramay - I've been insulin dependant since beginning of 2010 because I hardly produce any insulin. Type 1 isn't the only type that needs insulin, there are quite a few types that need it as mentioned already. Insulin is used when the pancreas stops doing it's job... how that happens can vary between types and that's the difference. But anyone on insulin are at risk of the same things really. :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi its my humalog and my bedtime lantus thank you janet

So do you not currently have access to insulin? Or do you have it on you but have just forgotten to take it?

When was the last time you took lantus? Do you have access to lantus?

When was the last time you took humalog? Do you have access to humalog?

What are your blood sugar levels looking like now?