Help please

Irene D

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there
I was diagnosed Type 2 at Christmas. I am really struggling for motivation and so confused with where to go.
My bloods were glucose strip 17.9 mmol last night and 11.9 tonight. Is that bad?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there
I was diagnosed Type 2 at Christmas. I am really struggling for motivation and so confused with where to go.
My bloods were glucose strip 17.9 mmol last night and 11.9 tonight. Is that bad?
Bad and good are relative terms. We don't know what numbers you were seeing over Christmas, this might be an improvement, might be stagnating, might be worse than you were... No way of knowing without the old numbers. But, yeah... They're a tad on the higher side than where you want your blood sugars to be. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this is how I got my numbers back into the normal range. It's a diet-only method, no medication.

@Resurgam makes a good point. You've got a meter, (yay! Step in an excellent direction!) now you have to learn how to use and read it. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l or lower. Now, if it's higher than that, there were more carbohydrates in the meal than your body could cope with. Practically all carbs turn to glucose when ingested, so.... Not just straight sugars, but starches too. If you cut out bread (or jst about anything made with grain, really), corn, pasta, rice, cereal etc, and stick with fats and protein to keep you going, your blood sugars should drop back into the normal range in no time at all. Check the link to see some examples on how to do that.

You're going to be fine. You've got a meter and more knowledge. It's hard to get motivated when you don't know what to do anyway... Now you do!
Hugs,
Jo

Retanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado
Hi,

diet was the way for me, I massively reduced my Carbs, stopped eating bread, Rice, Pasta, potato and cereals. Increased protein - Cheese and meats. (Proteins and fats) and all the salad stuff I can eat. Gone low carb but not as far as Ketone diet, I aim for roughly around 30 -50g of carbs daily. I was diagnosed last July with horrendous Hba1c and massively overweight. (See my signature)

Saw the Diabetic nurse yesterday for my 3 monthly check up and she says I am now in remission ( Dr said same a month ago) so don't give up hope, for me it was change what I eat. ( Got all the info and help I needed on this great forum).

I have been fairly rigid but not obsessive and have had the odd bit of bread when I know I am going to be doing something really physical. I rarely eat after 6pm.

Hope that helps.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's not just about cutting carbs, it was also for me about being able to eat foods I'd previously thought were bad. So back came cheese, oily salad dressings, butter, etc.
Forget the so-called Eatwell plate - it does T2s no favours. Replace carbs with protein and healthy, largely unprocessed fats and don't try to starve yourself.

Irene D

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou all so much.
Done really well all day and have just had some sweet potato fries, didn't think about cards....thought they were veg!!

Reactions: filly

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potato is too high in carbs for me. I tend to have mashed swede rather than potato.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thankyou all so much.
Done really well all day and have just had some sweet potato fries, didn't think about cards....thought they were veg!!
Different people's bodies can be more or less tolerant to carbs (at least from the responses I read on these forums). I suggest you use your meter to see whether a particular food item pushes your levels up further than your wish.

Good luck.