Type 2 Help..really high bloody sugars

Mulberrymanc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, so I’ve been T2 for 2 years. I’m active, exercise 6 days a week and walk 5k a day. I eat well, lots of veg, protein but like a cheeky snack in the evening.
Was on emplofagzin - which was awful for me, so now I’m on metformin 3 a day.
Got my hbac1 results - 109. I feel well.
I can’t believe it. It’s shot up from taking Jardinace- I am waiting for the diabetic team to get in touch this week.

Any suggestions?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
" but like a cheeky snack in the evening"

That could be part of your problem.
Are your vegetables all from above ground?
No root vegetables such as potatoes and parsnips?
Nothing made from grains?

It would help if you could list what you eat most days so we can see if there is anything we could suggest that you change.

Mulberrymanc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for taking the time.
I don’t have many potatoes ( as I love anything potato based, so I try to avoid) or parsnips- I have more greens - salads, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, green beans with chicken/fish/ beef etc daily.
I try to avoid rice and pasta- have it about 3 times a month.
I avoid bread or cakes- but have 3 choc biscuits a night. ( my cheeky snack)
I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast with avocado and a fruit yogurt. I have apples and tangerines as a snack if I’m feeling peckish- and a packet of skittles or fruitella about 3 times a week.

I drink 2/3 litres of water, too- no caffeine nor fizzy drinks.

Thanks

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening @Mulberrymanc and welcome to the forum.

How long have you been taking metformin?

I'm a metformin user. Please bear in mind that metformin doesn't work as quickly as empagliflozin. It's therapeutic effects are cumulative. Whilst metformin may start to lower your BG levels during the first week of treatment, it takes 2 to 3 months to reach maximum effectiveness.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

mouseee

Obviously the chocolate biscuits, skittles and fruitella will impact quite alot but that still seems high if the rest of your diet is as it looks.

Although, i just looked up skittles and it's 40g carbs in a 45g bag. Fruitella are 3.5g per piece. Chocolate digestives as an example biscuit are 10g per biscuit. Add those all up and you're consuming 70g of carbs on a skittles and biscuits day. That's way more just in sweets than some people eat in a day.
Plus, fruit may be a better choice than sweets, but they are also high in carbs. About 25g for an apple and 10g in a satsuma and I sort of guess you're not a 'just one' kind of person!!
Not that I've ever been on the med you were on, but if you pee out your sugar and you're not on that now, it suggests it was doing more work than you perhaps thought even though it didn't agree with you. Metformin works very differently, it doesn't get rid of the sugar in your blood but reduces how much the liver releases and helps the cells utilise insulin better.

Glad your diabetic team are getting back to you with a plan!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is definite room for improving your diet to help in reducing your next HbA1c, namely exclude potatos, rice, pasta, biscuits and sweets. Even swapping out your apples and tangerines for berries which contain less sugar.

Mulberrymanc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mouseee thank you for your help. I didn’t realise that skittles or fruitellas were that high/ I will need to look at that…

Thanks again

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, so I’ve been T2 for 2 years. I’m active, exercise 6 days a week and walk 5k a day. I eat well, lots of veg, protein but like a cheeky snack in the evening.
Was on emplofagzin - which was awful for me, so now I’m on metformin 3 a day.
Got my hbac1 results - 109. I feel well.
I can’t believe it. It’s shot up from taking Jardinace- I am waiting for the diabetic team to get in touch this week.

Any suggestions?
"You can't outrun a bad diet", so yeah, being active and all that can help some, but it's the biscuits and fruitella doing you in. Doesn't sound good, maybe, but.... Yay, there's massive amounts of room for improvement! ;)

Every cloud and whatnot... ;)
Good luck, you've got this!
Jo