Help regarding protein please

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing low carb since I got my pre diabetic reading but my problem is I probably eat too much protein as I'm not a massive fan of vegetables can anyone tell me how much is too much protein for example today I ate half a lidl roll with 3 rashers of bacon dinner was a 3 egg omelette then tea I had meatballs with a sauce I made up and Snackig on some pork scratchings I know it's a lot of protein what affects or what advice could anyone give thanks

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that a protein overdose can end up as glucose, so what you've had would be ok (plenty of fat in there which is good) if you'd had some greens as well. So have a go at the rabbit food and see if you can get a taste for it. Lettuce with mayo is ok. Steamed greens with butter and cheese are nice.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I heard that a max of 20 gms of protein per meal is fine. Like DeejayR states, too much could end up as glocose, and stored as fat.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's definitely not adding weight to me I have lost over a stone in weight to be honest I don't want to lose any more weight thanks for the reply

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure I read somewhere (and I can't find the link now) that the amount to aim for for men is 1 gram of protein per kilo of body weight. This totally threw me until I figured out that 1 rasher of bacon isn't 100% protein.

100 grams of bacon only contains 37 grams of protein, the rest being mainly water and fat according to Dr Google.

The issue can be a process called gluconeogenesis where in a low carb diet, protein is converted to glucose - the glucose is then in your blood doing all the things we don't want it to.

Personally I found that increasing the amount of fat I eat makes me less hungry and I eat less protein because I'm eating less. I actually quite enjoy rabbit food with a good dollop of Mayo now.

It doesn't read like you're eating an excessive amount.

Reactions: 2 people