Help with morning bg

samantha13

Sorry to ask all these questions but really trying to get on top of things and this forum is the best!

On a normal day my fbg will around 7.5ish now that goes OK until it's a work day. On a work day I face a lot of stress and anxiety. I just cannot face breakfast on a work day.

So my fbg will be around 7.5 at 630am, go to work at 8am and by my 10am break it's sometimes around 14.

I've started to correct now before work (on rising at 630am) to try and beat the rise but it's still going up to at least 12. I work 3days a week and a day off goes well bg wise (usually).

Any suggestions?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's scary injecting knowing you're not going to eat, from what you've said the correction dose seem to be doing something, so may be upping it a bit more? - just keep testing and having some quick acting carbs on hand just in case.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @samantha13 Unfortunately if you don't eat you liver will pump out glucose, so really it would help massively if you could just eat something, no matter how small to stop the rise ? Even if it's a few blueberries, yoghurt etc, it would help stop this steady rise. I know how frustrating it can with the BG rising and then correcting, but I also find when I rise above 12mmol/l I need an extra few units to get it back down again so the easiest option is to find something that you can stomach in the morning before work ;)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I echo what @Juicyj is saying, getting something in your stomach digesting will tell the liver to stop.....

before the pump when I always woke in double figures, I managed to get a small yogurt down me as this was all I could stomach being that high...

strange that you only seem to be experiencing this rise on some days but not all...regardless of stress levels....

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On second thoughts what Juicyj says also is a good call. Only one way to find out!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Heya @samantha13 Unfortunately if you don't eat you liver will pump out glucose, so really it would help massively if you could just eat something, no matter how small to stop the rise ?

Agreed, try having some breakfast as this will hopefully stop the liver dump @samantha13

bigjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in same problem I split the background insulin twice morning and the evening I take morning back round injection 7:30am then other half 7:30 evening now my background Reading 5.5 to 6.5 before breakfast

samantha13

I was in same problem I split the background insulin twice morning and the evening I take morning back round injection 7:30am then other half 7:30 evening now my background Reading 5.5 to 6.5 before breakfast
I have been using split doses for around two years now. As I say I have good numbers the days I'm not working as I don't have the stress tummy putting me off my breakfast. Have been having a few nuts first thing on workdays the past couple of days and although I'm forcing them down it seems to be helping the bg :)

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been in the same boat myself ie waking at 5 am then when i get to work at 7 am and have breakfast my levels have risen by about 4-5 mmol on average before i eaven start eating. To combat this, when i wake I eat a banana for breakfast and inject for the carbs (plus any correction depending on my readings) and as I have calculated 1 unit drops my BS by around 4.5 mmol - i inject an aditional unit on top of that to cover the rise of the DP- a bit of food first thing seems to help me with fighting the dawn effect. I know everyones requirements are different but this approach has worked very well for me. Hope you get it figured. :)