Hi All, I am Steve, looking forward to get to know a few of you on here

Steve uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am Steve .. Age 56, diagnosed type 2, 15 months ago, still trying to control it with diet. I am not a bad cook , so I have high hopes on continuing to do this, but count is moving in the wrong direction, so I am at the last chance saloon on this as far as my nurse says. I realise there will be people far worse off than me, but I hope we can share experience, knowledge, ideas to help each other

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg
Steve welcome to the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

toonarmy1000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians and hospitals
Hi Steve im new too. I posted this on another thread but had no replies so hjope you dont mind me copying it on yours because we are both new:

Hi everyone i was only diagnosed withe type 2 on thursday and I have my first appointment on Tuesday and I have a million and one questions to ask but came across this thread while looking about. I have had problems with my hands about 2 years now with pins and needles restricted movement, whitening etc. and for the last 6 months my feet have been killing me and sometimes numb and cramp up a lot. I had xrays at the start of this year after my GP saying it will heal itself! and they showed slight damage and have then been sent for various test for thoracic nerve damage nerve conduction tests etc. eventually in november the neurologist sent me and GP a letter saying my bloods showed slight glucose intolerance and after fortnightly fasting blood tests confirmed type 2. I have been on 2 x 300mg Gabapentin 3 times a day and 4 x 10mg Amitryptline at night time for a mixture of the pain and antidepressants as I have suffered from depression for the last 2 years. I am wondering why I havent been tested before and apparently I had full blood tests in January this year because i was in an induced coma and on life support for 3 days asuffering a gastric bleed in January this year. My GP just said there was nothing on file specifically just a record of treatment. I must be honest I am pleased in a way they have found a possible cause of my hand and feet trouble but also a bit scared of more medication with what i already take plus Metformin which i started taking Thursday

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
image.jpg
Toonarmy welcome to the forum,My main problems are my feet very painful.you have come to the right place for information.Keep well Andrea.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi to both of you, and welcome!

glad you both found this place - what questions do you have? someone will have the answer. :)

toonarmy1000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
View attachment 8673 Toonarmy welcome to the forum,My main problems are my feet very painful.you have come to the right place for information.Keep well Andrea.
Thanks for the reply :) Im going to my first appointment with the nurse tomorrow so going to make sure I get a copy of all my test results and try to get a bit more than just "you have type 2 diabetes make an appointment with the nurse" and hopefully push for further tests on my hands and feet now they might eventually be on the right track with diagnosis. No doubt be on here straight after so some of you kind people might be able to interpret the results for me a bit and advise me on what tests etc on my hands/feet I should be pushing for! :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Any information on your BMI (just to get an idea), what you eat, how much you exercise etc. is always useful to give us an idea of where we can help with any Lifestyle issues.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the reply :) Im going to my first appointment with the nurse tomorrow so going to make sure I get a copy of all my test results and try to get a bit more than just "you have type 2 diabetes make an appointment with the nurse" and hopefully push for further tests on my hands and feet now they might eventually be on the right track with diagnosis. No doubt be on here straight after so some of you kind people might be able to interpret the results for me a bit and advise me on what tests etc on my hands/feet I should be pushing for! :)
Good luck at your appointment hope you manage to get all the information you need to put your mind at rest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 190

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
A huge welcome to both of you :)

I was only diagnosed in October so i know how daunting things can be at this time.

Write down all the questions you have before you see the nurse and write down the answers - you will be given so much info it will be hard to remember it all.

I am constantly learning new things about diabetes and how it can affect you and i believe i will be forever learning :)
But knowledge is your friend :)

Ask any questions you need and someone will answer as soon as they can ;) We are a good bunch ;)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Steve uk, big welcome to you, have you been able to check out the info that daisy posts for newbies yet? And are you using a meter to check your blood readings? ✊

toonarmy1000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks everyone for your kind words will update tomorrow with info and hope I won't be asking to many questions and can start contributing to this great group

toonarmy1000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I have had a bit of a nightmare start to my life as a type 2 diabetic! I attended my first nurse appointment at 3.50pm to be told my appointment was 2.50pm even after showing them my appointment cars given to me when booking it. when i booked it straight after being diagnosed i handed the receptionist a note from the doc detailing what appointment I required but apparently she booked me for a 10min blood test appointment not a diabetic assessment appoint. Eventually seen at 4.30pm and at least the nurse apologised but said all she could do was give me a photocopied info booklet because she wasnt aware of why i was there. I said I had a list of questions but again was told I only had 10 mins and then I said can I have a copy of my results at least and the answer was "92" now is that my highest score the last time I played darts or what is it ! HBA1C levels was the answer. She said to follow the instructions for the metformin and I will get bloods again in 3 months time? I explained my worries about my hands and feet etc. and she said the best I can do is nook you the correct appoinmtent for two weeks time, so all in all a rather stuttering start to my journey. And the answer to my question about what to do in the meantime was "read the information" I understand the nurse was put on the spot a bit by the receptionists mistake but felt a bit let down to be honest and no further forward. One last thing the photocopied leaflet had "diabetes UK" and "diabetes first" on the bottom of each sheet and the diet guidelines seem to be completely different to what I have been reading on here. Aplogise for the long post but just letting off a bit steam ! lol :mad:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
One last thing the photocopied leaflet had "diabetes UK" and "diabetes first" on the bottom of each sheet and the diet guidelines seem to be completely different to what I have been reading on here. Aplogise for the long post but just letting off a bit steam ! lol :mad:

No need to apologise, it's all very frustrating. Most of us have been through the conflicting diet info thing. Basically they are wrong, the 'Eatwell plate/eat carbs with every meal' mantra is about the worst diet you can advise to a diabetic and why so many T2s are tragically going in the wrong direction. Low carbing is the key, meaning all carbs including so-called healthy ones. But it's always manageable.

Read around here and ask questions of those who have done it, not the DNs who just have to spout the NHS 'guidelines'.

Reactions: 4 people