Hi. Can anyone help?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now my nurse has read my food intake and she says wholegrain bread is good and also porridge now potatoes I thought just a couple of fresh new potatoes where good (not mash)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
What you can eat is really up to you the bread recommended here is Bergen Soya and Linseed bread also Lidl protein rolls, some can eat porridge and few new potatoes with no significant rises in their BG. We are all different so there is no ...one size suits all... we all have to find out what suits us personally it is trial and error Your existing medical problems and the medication you take for them could have an influence on your BG levels. Before you make any drastic changes you should wait to see what your medical team says and if they think you may be T1

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
That is the standard NHS advice. I can eat wholemeal bread, porridge and any potatoes without getting high bs, but they do effect others. Our bodies all react differently. If you are getting high readings you might need to cut them out and see if the readings come down.

I too can eat all those you have listed @Prem51 and I eat Pasta and Bismati Rice too, but I only eat them once a month and small portions. :)

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Impact varies from person to petsonPotatoes in any form (and nearly all root veg) are just about the worst thing you could, eat The same goes for grain products even wholemeal and whole grain.

Tropical fruit is sugar and carbohydrate. Berries are okay and some of us can eat apples , pears and plums in.modest amounts.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tomatoe with cheese and onion omelette with side salad
753cef67ffc7566ba07dee8b4c7c924a.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now my nurse has read my food intake and she says wholegrain bread is good and also porridge now potatoes I thought just a couple of fresh new potatoes where good (not mash)

Hi. The nurses advice is not ideal. Wholemeal bread has a lower-GI than white but is still a carb. Porridge is stewed oats which is not very good. It's better to have a small portion of cold oats as in muesli which will be lower-GI but still carbs. Boiled potatoes are lower-GI than mashed but still carbs. You will probably need to keep these down and use the meter to guide you.

Crispy17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Badboydavey1 welcome to the Diabetes club.

As others have said from the information you have given a test to determine whether you are type 1 or 2 seems called for.

As far as what you can and can't eat the only opinion that matters is that of your new best friend your BG meter. Test just before each meal and then two hours late. The difference between the two readings tells you what your body can deal with, anything that causes your BG to spike too high will need to be reduced or even cut out completely. Its worth keeping a food diary as well as this will make it easier to spot the culprits that cause BG spikes for you.

We all differ in the foods we can and can't eat, as an example, I cannot tolerate any bread, cereal, pasta or root veg as all cause huge increases in my BG levels. Slightly bizarrely though I can eat apples which have natural sugars and yogurts which often have added sugars with either little or no increase in my BG.

There's lots on friendly people on here and a great pool of experience and knowledge for you to draw from so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi crispy17 thanks for your information I am going to go to get my blood test tomorrow , cause I really need to no now cause whatever I eat it just don't help.i have changed my food and test before every meal 4 times a day but the doctor says you will always have high levels cause of my chronic pancreatitis

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I hope it all gets easier. One the spuds, porridge and wholemeal bread issue - I agree with @Daibell. I would say that your nurse's advice doesn't surprise me...it's general rubbish (ie. it goes nowhere near being good basic dietary advice for a Type 2 diabetic and is certainly not even approaching being proper individual advice). sadly, due to a combination of time restraints, priorities and poor programming of up to date training courses, many medical staff just cannot issue sound individual advice that can be sure to work for that particular person. While, some of us certainly can cope with small amounts of certain simple carbs, others (many...including me) will find that any of them raise of blood sugar levels too much to regularly munch down on them (if at all). My advice is that, whatever anyone else says to you, the only way to tell if it's ok for you personally - is to test before and 2.5 hours after eating them. I would think, however, that you may find that your blood sugar goes up the more of these you eat. Try testing before and after a couple of meals with NO carbs just to see what happens. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So far today being doing a low carb diet and to tell you the truth I feel terrible tired (I've been back to bed this afternoon) hot just not with it ....now I don't no if it's because I'm used to high levels but my levels from today are 6am -17.0 / 1pm -13.3 and I'm due to retest at 6pm

Crispy17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is possible that sudden drops in BG levels can give false hypo's, I had them on a few occasions when I was first diagnosed and my BG's dropped from the mid twenties down below double figures. I've never experienced one with BG levels in double figures but then I never had any reading up in the thirties like you have.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
So they're moving in the right direction. The adaptation period which you need to tough out can take a couple of weeks and some report feeling ****** and tired. But let me sure you based on my personal experience and that of others, once adapted, you should feel so much healthier and energised. Hang in there:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hang in, Davey; the reduction in carbs is making its first dent in those levels. Stick to it as strictly as you can but don't beat yourself up over it if you surrender to a bit of stodge if you really can't resist. Main thing is keep trying and those levels should drop further. Hopefully your average level will come right down much closer to normal and then it's all about whether you can find a sustainable and practically manageable diet. Be sure to keep up the fluid intake to combat dehydration (which will increase levels and make you drained and tired. Keep at it, mate. Good stuff so far - well done.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for that also I have my sister to thank to cause whatever I cut out she will (but she is a larger girl,I think it's opened her eyes too) I will be making an appointment with the nurse for tomorrow so she can do blood test to see how much insolin the pancreas is making,and I just have one question will the weight I've lost come back gradually on this low carb diet.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thankyou for that also I have my sister to thank to cause whatever I cut out she will (but she is a larger girl,I think it's opened her eyes too) I will be making an appointment with the nurse for tomorrow so she can do blood test to see how much insolin the pancreas is making,and I just have one question will the weight I've lost come back gradually on this low carb diet.

If you stick to some variation of LC (20g to say 150g) long term, your body should find its Personal Fat Threshold (PFT) and happily stay there...happy days:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for that Kevin just checked my blood glucose level and its 16.1 lower than yesterday so looking good so far , I can't thank you enough but when I go and see the local district diabetes team on Friday (for the first time) they are on about upping my gliclazide to 80mg before breakfast and 80mg before main meal 6pm now do I let them or persist in the low carb diet ?