Hi Everyone....Help!

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I’ve been reading posts but haven’t worked up the courage to post a hello till now.

I got diagnosed with type 2 a month ago and my fast reading was 10, since then I’ve changed my eating habits and visit the gym most days and have gone from weighing 150kg to 139kg in that time for which I feel great.

What I’m struggling with is I met the nurse last week for the first time who just weighed me etc and gave me a few leaflets and said see you in 3 months, I’ve been paying for my Metformin prescriptions which I take twice a day and didn’t know I could get the perscritipion for free till today!

I have nothing but respect for the NHS but I feel a bit confused what I’m meant to be doing, even though I’ve changed my eating habits I still have the odd bad thing but I’m worried that yes I’m losing weight but if my blood sugar isn’t dropping then this is still bad?

I brought a meter today (codefree) and after 7 attempts of drawing blood I finally got a reading of 4.8 (I ate at 12pm, tested 4pm) I know that reading is in the right range but is it accurate giving the eating time?

Sorry for all the questions, I’ve found this site to be a great help so far in understanding everything so far but I need some help with what to eat etc

Many thanks

aAdam

Reactions: MNawaz2 and Guzzler

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to this as you are. I can share my experiences with you so far. Your body has a way of telling you what's good for you or not and it's vitally important to keep a food diary and a readings diary. I am learning the hard way but learning none the less. I haven't had a reading as low as you so far, my lowest post hypo is 5.7, but I seem to have both hyper and hypo episodes. The one thing I have learnt from all this so far is one size doesn't fit all. Some people can have a sneaky chippy and not spike, others spike at even the thought of it. Learn your body and learn your lifestyle. Major sacrifices have come my way but that's what got me here in the first place. Ask questions on here and the totally awesome people on this forum will guide you through this minefield.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have done a lot of reading round too, but have never started a thread. Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but can you explain how to start a new thread of my own please?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I’ve been reading posts but haven’t worked up the courage to post a hello till now.

I am tagging @daisy1 who will provide the run-down for newcomers.

Welcome to the club. In your profile, I suggest that you indicate you are Type 2. Also, it helps to know what your HbA1C level was, at diagnosis, and what drugs you are on (you already said Metformin, anything else?). Well done for losing all that weight already!

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done a lot of reading round too, but have never started a thread. Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but can you explain how to start a new thread of my own please?
No worries, I just went under the newly diagnosed on the forum and there was an option to start a thread

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not sure but I know it had 88mol on the sheet?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Unless there has been a recent new directive you should not be paying for your metformin or your test strips, and should be given a medical exception card (I am assuming you are British and it is now a medical record at your Doctors that you are Type 2). If you haven't already done so, ask for your records to be available online if you are comfortable with this and ask for a full print out of your medical records (this will help you compare your new readings).

Getting into the 4's on just Metformin after a month is phenomenal and well done for dropping the weight. You have indicated that you have not been given much assistance just some leaflets. Some ideas you might want to ask questions on / act on:

1. Lifestyle / Eating regime - choices in broad terms are the Eatwell Plate / Guide the NHS recommend, Newcastle Diet, LCHF (low carb high (healthy) fat), WFPB (whole food plant based). It is possible to do any of these in a Vegetarian or Vegan context also.
    1. Fasting, Intermittent Fasting
  2. Exercise - you are already do this
  3. Sleep / Relaxation
  4. Objectives - Maintenance, Weight loss, Potential Remission
  5. Notes - Paper based, App, Excel (It pays dividends to understand what worked and what didn't and what were the inputs that went along with the results
Just some areas you might want to look at.

Reactions: The_Flashing_Blade

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure but I know it had 88mol on the sheet?

Hmm. With a bit of guesswork, that might be your HbA1C which would be 88 mmol/mol or 10.2 percent in the "old" units.

You asked for food advice. Some of us have had success with the "Low Carbohydrate, High Fat" diet which helps us control blood glucose, sometimes without medication. In your case however it sounds like you would welcome losing more weight if possible -- which has all sorts of advantages in addition to helping control T2D. When I needed to lose weight, I did "low carb, low fat" and also reduced the portion sizes.

That is just my own "take" on it though.

You should soon be getting a "welcome" post in this thread, with initial advice about these matters.

You were diagnosed about a month ago. At the beginning, it is usually very confusing and stressful. You have come to the right place though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you should not be paying for your metformin or your test strips,

He is not on insulin or any drugs likely to cause a hypo. Pigs will fly before he is allowed test strips on prescription ...... but he may be extraordinarily lucky, so no harm in asking.

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is not on insulin or any drugs likely to cause a hypo. Pigs will fly before he is allowed test strips on prescription ...... but he may be extraordinarily lucky, so no harm in asking.
I did ask and they said they don’t give them out anymore as I don’t need them?

I brought my own anyway

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Maybe this is one of those area specific anomalies, as in North Essex I was given a meter and strips and a medical exception card. Since stopping Metformin I have been told I will have to pay for test strips, but this has not kicked in yet.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I got diagnosed with type 2 a month ago and my fast reading was 10, since then I’ve changed my eating habits and visit the gym most days and have gone from weighing 150kg to 139kg in that time for which I feel great.

What I’m struggling with is I met the nurse last week for the first time who just weighed me etc and gave me a few leaflets and said see you in 3 months, I’ve been paying for my Metformin prescriptions which I take twice a day and didn’t know I could get the perscritipion for free till today!

I have nothing but respect for the NHS but I feel a bit confused what I’m meant to be doing, even though I’ve changed my eating habits I still have the odd bad thing but I’m worried that yes I’m losing weight but if my blood sugar isn’t dropping then this is still bad?

I brought a meter today (codefree) and after 7 attempts of drawing blood I finally got a reading of 4.8 (I ate at 12pm, tested 4pm) I know that reading is in the right range but is it accurate giving the eating time?

Sorry for all the questions, I’ve found this site to be a great help so far in understanding everything so far but I need some help with what to eat etc

Many thanks

aAdam

you are doing a great job dear, when you are only on metformin you can also easily go to eat lower carb foods , and when you measure right before a meal and 1 and 2 hours after you will get a picture of how much the different kinds of food affect your blood glucose..

try to go under a total of 150 grams of carbs in a day preferably shared on more .meals .

it can also be a fine idea to eat a breakfast totally without any carbs, most type 2 have higher numbers right after they wake up in the morning, this is the liver also transforming proteins into blood glucose, then a meal without carbs helps the body not to get even higher from the meal,
some prefer not to eat breakfast at all, and only have big mug of coffee with cream in...

having only 2 meals a day can be beneficial to some type 2 diabetics.
congratulate yourself with your great weightloss and keep on your very fine job

it is best if ones blood glucose doesn´t raise more than 2 mmol from ones meals ... the very high spikings are very unhealthy for our bodies..

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I put in a picture here where you can see what a truely normal blood glucose is , note it is in the green area

50shades - Copy.png

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou everyone for the kind words and advice

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome. I am an old expert now, having been diagnosed in june!!! There are loads pf very helpful people on here who will answer any questions you wil have and dont mind how many times you ask.

My bit of advice is to make a big mug of tea, pull up a chair and read. Then more tea and more reading. Then questions. Sadly many of us have had less than helpful experiences with the gp and learn much of the helpful stuff on here. If you have a good gp hang on to them with both hands. In any event this is a good place to be and has changed my life.

Good luck with it all. Let us know how.it goes.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not have had courage to post but you've got the wherewithal to make a wonderful start in tackling your condition. Hopefully having seen the replies you'll feel more confident about posting some more. We all like to see other people doing well and to try and help you out when things get a bit tougher.

You said that it took 7 attempts to get blood. May I suggest that you try on your finger end rather than a banana. :cool:

Good luck and keep going.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Adz444

Hello Adam and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.