hi - excessive thirst

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well the new diet is working...had a grand total of about 2g carbs today (it was the gravy that did it) lol and bg level was at 13.9..got 1 more test to do today :)

i really appreciate all the advice and moral support from you guys the last couple of days :happy: thanks

carl

Reactions: 5 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really well done...so glad it's working out for you...has the thirst subsided yet? I'm sure you'll start to feel better and better as the numbers decrease...keep up the good work :)

Reactions: 2 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really well done...so glad it's working out for you...has the thirst subsided yet? I'm sure you'll start to feel better and better as the numbers decrease...keep up the good work :)

i havent been as thirsty, still have a dry mouth though, but im feeling better already..not had any dizzy spells for a couple of days either and overall my mood has been better

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Really good progress, mate! Well done. Feel good about yourself - it's been earned. One thing though...don't go too low on the carbs (there's different views here), but make it a sustainable diet (one you don't hate), and make sure you're eating enough fibre and unsaturated fat. I seldom eat more than 30g a day, usually way less but try to include avocados and oily fish. I found that calculating a typical days intake of carbs, protein, fats, fibres really helped me feel I wasn't going too far, and it kept my doctors informed. Also - making sure your fluid intake is good will help. I have between 2 and 3 litres a day. I fill bottles of Robinsons with about 80% water, which makes keeping track easy. Helps the kidneys as well as the blood sugar. Well done again, mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agreed @pleinster completely .... slow but sustained cutbacks are MUCH better than treating this like a race.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
13.5 this morning.
That's so much better, wow! Your morning readings will be the last to get back to non-diabetic levels because of early morning 'liver dump', the fact that they have fallen so much already is an excellent sign. :)

lol I've been eagerly awaiting your post, now I'd better do some work. :(

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'm sorta pleased they've stabilised a bit Carl. Others might disagree with that summation. Now each fall (and I do mean fall) can be viewed in context of appreciating it won't happen in 5 minutes. Like you've done 3/4 way up the hill and the rest is an amble.

If you get down to (say) 10s by the end of the week, you'll have done amazing work

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks Mike, i do agree that its going to take a while, to be honest i`m surprised how much its come down already.. ill keep going at it, i know i can eat a bit more carbs, i cant keep them as low all the time, might have something nice for dinner tonight, i wish i could have the pasta or potatoes as they were a big part of my diet, and i had potatoes with every meal

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
When you drop down to the singles Carl, don't think you cannot take a small peek at pasta in really small doses and the odd spud.

I've done it (just spuds mind you) and I'm OK with them in strict moderation. Then the temptation hits, you reckon you can eat what you wish and bang ! ... it brings you back down to earth when you look at your meter.

This isn't a prison sentence, for if it was, you'd never take a chance again with what you eat. Jump that first hurdle (and you sure have to the largest extent) at your leisure and your timetable and your goals, and as I said prior, then we can play around and see how other foods affect you.

This was always about getting down those bad numbers and quickly ... and you've done it. The benefit of finding a forum like no other where people are so giving

Of course you can treat yourself but there are enormous selections / diets / ideas out there (search the forum) which you might find just as palatable. Life ain't over yet brother :)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss potatoes too...but now use them as a rare treat as they are the worst for spiking my BG. Check out the low carb forum http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ it'll give you an idea of the things that you can enjoy and help you to find a few alternatives. Check out caulimash and caulirice...it's a whole new way of eating when you start but it doesn't have to be boring...far from it...it gives you a good opportunity to mix things up a bit and discover a few new recipes...which in our household have now been voted above the traditional high carb faves.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@thirsty_monsta

Do you like cauliflower cheese? We use it regularly as a potato substitute (but it needs to be a low carb recipe)
Other alternatives that work for some (use your meter!) are celeriac, swede, sweet potato, squash, courgette spagetti...
I now find potatos bland and boring in comparison.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i had potatoes with every meal

Yes me too! I love potatoes in all their forms. I rarely have them now and when I do I really appreciate them. Ah....just seen Natalie's reply so I don't need to tell you about caulimash now.

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had breakfast late today 2 sausages(14g carb) 3 scrambled eggs and 3 rashers, so only just measured after that..and bg is still going down.. 12.4 now mrs just came home with some soya flour, got to find something to make with it...i think yorkies are first on the list :)

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow talk about hittin the ground running!! Good work.
I also advocate LCHF.In my case it took about 3 months to get my BG to near normal.My personal theory is that it takes a while to remove excess glycogen stored in muscles and especially the liver,and to improve insulin resistance.(Others may know more about this).
I guess what I am saying is it is a marathon not a sprint.My advice would be to check out the " what have I eaten today " thread for ideas.It helps to have as much variety as possible in a low carb diet so it is enjoyable and therefore sustainable.
Some ideas.All types of cheese,salami type meats,all types of pates,walnuts,almonds,hazlenuts,full fat yoghurts and cottage cheese,tinned fish,and Lidl do a great high protein roll which is low carb.People are very inventive with ideas to the extent that I really enjoy my new eating regime.Even if some of my meal combinations are a little off the wall.Before I forget home made Hungarian Goulash is low carb and fabulous.You may be doing a lot more cooking from scratch.
Anyway before I stray too much from the point ..... Really well done.

Reactions: 6 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
had steak and cauli mash tonight for dinner 2 hours ago, very nice it was too :) bg is 12.2 it should be lower but i missed lunch today and just had a coffee (slapped wrist!)

Reactions: 8 people