Hi! I am new to forum and am diagnosed with type 2.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I am from the southwestern USA but stumbled on this forum in looking for advice on antibiotics and high blood sugar readings.I like the low carb recipe section. I am diagnosed with type 2. I have been taking metformin for 4 years and insulin (lantus solostar 1x daily) since January 2014. I have type 1 first and second degree relatives and have been borderline from birth. I am taking penicillin VK for a suspected dental abscess. My blood sugar readings have been high since I started the antibiotic. My fasting blood sugars have been 159 to 148 when they had been 89 to 145. (100 is balanced normal on this scale.) I suspect this is a different scale than most of you use because you are reporting much lower numbers. My last (last week) Ha1C was 7.7. The Ha1C tested four months ago was 7.1. Tomorrow is the last day of a ten day course of antibiotics. My blood sugar is still a little high although my GP said not to worry-just take the antibiotics. My dental pain is gone-the dentist was not sure if it was an abscess or just gum infection. I will see him again next week. I do not want another root canal and am tempted to just wait and see what happens after the antibiotic wears off. The tooth (molar) already has a saddle filling and the tooth next to it has a root canal and crown. There was no obvious decay or infection just deep socket pain when I chew a lot and a diffuse looking dental x-ray. Do you find dental problems cause high blood sugars? Do antibiotics cause high blood sugars for you? Greetings and thank you.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Dr Richard Bernstein (who is a diabetologist and low carb advocate) has stated that when blood glucose is raised for no obvious reason, he always has his patients see a dentist to be tested for hidden dental infections. So most likely the infection is the cause rather than the antibiotics.