High blood sugar on Lowe carb

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. I just started a low carb diet a few days ago - about 50g and I have been getting high one readings one hour after eat I g 7-8.5 even with very low carbs. I did not get these numbers when I was eating 20-30g carbs per meal. Any advice as to what is going on would be appreciated

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Give it some time ..... what is your definition of high?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Give it some time ..... what is your definition of high?
8.0 at one hour after a smoothie with a carrot, 3 baby beetroot and some cucumber. 8.6 after an Apple and some nuts, 7.1 after a salad and smoked salmon. 2 he readings are fine, below 6.2.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Perhaps carrots and apples aren't for you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@NoCrbs4Me beat me to it.

Rethink the choices .... what were you readings BEFORE lowcarb?

Apples are (generally) not good for BS

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@NoCrbs4Me beat me to it.

Rethink the choices .... what were you readings BEFORE lowcarb?

Apples are (generally) not good for BS
Before low carb my levels were good most of the time, less than 7.7 at one hr. My fasting levels were usually in the 5.5-5.8 are, since starting lower carb they are now between 5.0-5.2 which is good. I might give the carrots and Apple's a miss, thanks. I don't get why a lunch with salmon and salad would result in a one hour level of 7.1 though, could it be a lack of fat maybe?

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi My I asked why you eat/drink smoothies. Its a faster way to get the carbs into your bloods. Since you had carrot and beets you are predigesting them by liquifying them making the sugar content easily digested. Carrot have 4.7g of sugar and beetroots has 7g of sugar both have 10g of carbohydrates per 100g. No wonder your sugars went up.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have the time and the inclination, I really think it is a positive thing to look at a detailed analysis of how the 'low fat' advice came about, what is its history, what is the science that it was based on. The most definitive description of this is a superb book by Nina Teicholz, The Big Fat Surprise. It is very hard, when we have boon bombarded with the low fat message for decades, based on virtually no 'real science' to start to introduce fat as you eliminate carbs, but that is what makes your food satisfying / tasty. The food you describe doesn't really sound low carb to me. And neither does it sound very tasty or satisfying.

My meals yesterday were bacon eggs tomato and mushroom (fried in, though not smothered in a little bit of lard / butter) a handful of nuts for lunch, baked salmon with large portion of stir fried cabbage, a little onion and garlic, half a bunch of asparagus for dinner. Drinks were water, several cups of black tea, one coffee with a tablespoon of double cream, treat, a square of 85% chocolate. I can't tell you what my BG readings were, I have to buy my own strips and test once a week at random times and never have any readings above 7.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Readings of 7 or 8 One Hour after eating are not high.

The aim is to get your readings after 2 hours under control, and you have done that.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi if you go on the forum "What Have You Eaten today " and see what others like me eat on a daily basis, try and test that we all say, you will soon get back to were you want to be.:)

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that those readings after food are not high, though I am not the expert here, quite the reverse, one statement of pre-diabetes, normal ever after). I just thought the food on offer was particularly unappetising ( but maybe my diet sounds particularly unappetising to many). For me, the key is to eat delicious real food, plain and simple. If all that I eat is low carb and delicious, and packed with nutrients, I'm never tempted to 'stray' and I never feel deprived. My sweet tooth and fondness for desserts etc has simply disappeared, and it's easy. Some food can, at first glance, seem expensive, but I would guess I eat half in total quantity compared to what I ate on a normal diet, so if anything our food budget has gone down.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi My I asked why you eat/drink smoothies. Its a faster way to get the carbs into your bloods. Since you had carrot and beets you are predigesting them by liquifying them making the sugar content easily digested. Carrot have 4.7g of sugar and beetroots has 7g of sugar both have 10g of carbohydrates per 100g. No wonder your sugars went up.

The carrots I ate today had 4.5 gms of carbs not 10. They came in a packet with a label and they were the Scottie brand. I would have thought that all carrots were created equally? Carrots and beetroot should be eaten with a meal that has fat and fibre.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The carrots I ate today had 4.5 gms of carbs not 10. They came in a packet with a label and they were the Scottie brand. I would have thought that all carrots were created equally? Carrots and beetroot should be eaten with a meal that has fat and fibre.
Interesting. I checked out their website and yes it does say carbohydrates are 4.5 of which 4.4 are sugar and 2.6g of fiber. This is the first time I have seen carboydrates not include the fiber.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you google "carrots nutrition facts" total carbs are 10g per 100g of which 4.5 g are sugar.. personally I would avoid.. unless Scotty have developed a mutant low carb carrot.. in which case .. I would still avoid...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, my carb counter is coming up with 7.5g carb and 2.5g fibre for carrots. I would guess the smaller and sweeter, the higher. I often think that, if you are eating a tomato, for instance that tastes very sweet, does it actually have more carbs? I would guess so, but I don't know. The carb charts can only be averages and estimates. I use the rule of thumb, generous portion of green above ground veg (cabbage, cauliflower, spring greens, spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce) small portion of a tasty extra (tomatoes, onions etc) garnish (like a teaspoonful of grated carrot, beetroot or sweet corn on a salad) of higher carb veg. No potatoes, might have a single parsnip or slice of roasted sweet potato if everything else is low carb. The more colours on your plate (of natural foods) the better.