High carb day - a day in hospital

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to suggest Allan Carr's Easy Way, it's how I stopped smoking 30 years ago. That book just doesn't date, he hit the addiction nail square on the head and I also came to see that unscrupulous corporations were making me pay for the privilige of letting them kill me!

You'll be richer in health and pocket when you stop as well!
Thank you. I'm sure I will.
What a shock for you but brilliant reaction by your GP and now you can move on with knowledge and care. Good luck with giving up smoking and well done on your BG control so illustrated by the state of the other patients. Take care and best wishes to you.
I was quite surprised how the whole healthcare system came together so quickly and smoothly. It's not always that easy to get a GP appointment, but I guess I lucked out on this occasion. Thank you.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to read this @IanBish. Missed your cheerful posts and wondered what had happened.

Thankfully, you sought medical attention promptly. Take care and look after yourself. That dire hospital food must be a powerful incentive to give up the ciggies!

Sending best wishes for a steady recovery.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to read this @IanBish. Missed your cheerful posts and wondered what had happened.

Thankfully, you sought medical attention promptly. Take care and look after yourself. That dire hospital food must be a powerful incentive to give up the ciggies!

Sending best wishes for a steady recovery.
Thank you. Hopefully, before too long, I should go back to making mildly entertaining posts, instead of creating threads like this.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I realise that (now, more than ever) but I guess it could have been my undiagnosed diabetes, my period of uncontrolled high blood pressure, or my weight. Or a combination of those.

I gave up smoking a good few years ago with help of Allen Carr's EasyWay, and it was really easy and enjoyable. I've been listening to the audiobook again, but this time it's more pressing.

Thanks for the message. To be honest I'm still trying to process it. It's been a huge shock, and something I wasn't expecting. I expect my thoughts will settle down a bit during this week, and I'll be able to deal with it better.
I wasn't attributing specific "blame" on the cigarettes, more relaying the consultant's view of the impact of cigarettes on vascular health, period. He reckoned smoking to be the most harmful folks to do to their health.

I am eternally thankful I never felt tempted to try cigarettes, because I do know it's not an easy addiction to crack, not to mention routines, etc.

On the upside, you should hopefully notice an impact on your piggy bank too, over time.

Reactions: jjraak and jpscloud

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't attributing specific "blame" on the cigarettes, more relaying the consultant's view of the impact of cigarettes on vascular health, period. He reckoned smoking to be the most harmful folks to do to their health.

I am eternally thankful I never felt tempted to try cigarettes, because I do know it's not an easy addiction to crack, not to mention routines, etc.

On the upside, you should hopefully notice an impact on your piggy bank too, over time.
I wasn't trying to suggest you were - I know. My reasoning was that there could have been other, aforementioned causes. But you're right, of course.

You're correct - it's more the routine, rather than the addiction. But I should be reaping benefits soon.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, what a shock that must have been for you.
Thank goodness you were treated promptly, I hope you are feeling better and sent home soon.
Thank you. It was, and I'm not really (mentally), but I'm hopeful I will be soon. And, with the greatest courtesy to the doctors, nurses, and ancillary staff, I was very glad to be sent home.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was, and I'm not really (mentally), but I'm hopeful I will be soon.
You sound like you're well on your way to dealing with this, mentally.
The way you post about such a major scare sounds very healthy to me, and I hope the people on the forum, many of whom have grown to like your contributions over the past year, are helping you a little in finding your feet again.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound like you're well on your way to dealing with this, mentally.
The way you post about such a major scare sounds very healthy to me, and I hope the people on the forum, many of whom have grown to like your contributions over the past year, are helping you a little in finding your feet again.
I'm not quite there yet. I may mask some of it in my recent posts, but the replies have been quite reassuring and supportive, which have been great to read.

I'm wobbling a little, but I'm sure I'll find my feet again shortly.

PS. Nice use of an idiom in your last line! :)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
About half a bottle of red most evenings.
I was doing that up until quite recently mostly a whole bottle a night but I have now given up , and boy do I feel better for it , I now sleep through the night , in the morning I jump out of bed and In general just feel so much better , I think it is something that just creeps up on us and not doing us no harm , but in my opinion the sooner you give up the better , i'me not teetotal but happier to save it for special occasions .

• Agree
Reactions: jpscloud and jjraak