Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
Hello all, i'm currently 26+6 weeks pregnant,
currently measuring 29 weeks!

I would like to start packing my hospital bag when i get to 30 weeks incase of any problems, so what i would like to know is, as a type 1 Diabetic, what did you pack?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the normal things that any woman having a baby would ( I think there's a list on here somewhere) plus your diabetes supplies - that is:

- insulin and delivery device along with spares (for me, that was my pump, spare cartridge, sets and cannulas and a back up insulin pen);

- meter and plenty of test strips;

- lots of glucose and Lucozade;

- snacks eg cereal bars, etc.

Take plenty of everything, like you might do if you were going on holiday. Be aware you won't know for sure how long you'll be in. I thought id be in 2 or 3 days but was in a week. Take plenty of glucose, including sweets or similar to have during labour, and plenty of snacks. After giving birth your insulin needs drop right down and it's common to have hypos. Also, if you're breastfeeding you may need extra carb snacks to top you up.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi yes for me defo loads of lucozade/glucose and carb snacks (maybe something like a pack of digestives) as had so many lows after delivery. I ended up being in for 2 wks with my little girl and thinking it will be similar when my twins arrive as I'm coming up 27w now too. Assume you know what your pre pregnancy insulin rates were?

I gave my husband a tour (!!) of where I kept everything just in case he had to bring additional supplies(which he did). I'm on a pump and actually found when I was trying to bf the milk spilt and corroded my cannula which was an added problem. The midwives aren't experts in diabetes in fact I had several of them wanting to come and look at my pump as several of them never seen one before (my dd is now 20months so not even that long ago!).

Defo take a couple of boxes of test strips too.

Good luck!

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
My insulin was 1/5th of the insulin I'm on now :)

They think they'll induce me around 36 weeks due to baby already measuring large..

I'll pop lucosade and snacks on my list :) xx

Reactions: 2 people

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Mary, I was asking same question just a few weeks ago - see thread 'hospital bag' - think its on next page...