how can i put on weight?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. I am currently eating around 70g of carbs a day. I have lost 9kgs in the last 3 months and now weigh 56kg. I would like to weigh around 60kg.
Does anyone have any ideas about how I can go about putting on weight without increasing carbs?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Substitute the lack of carbs with fat?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I do eat a reasonable amount of fat. I Know that Dr Bernstein said he fed underweight diabetics a lot of extra fat in the form of olive oil and that they didn't put on any weight as a result. He suggests eating extra protein and covering it with insulin but I can't do that as I'm not on insulin

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can fill my boots with protein and it has no effect on my BGL, others on this forum need to take ridiculous amounts of insulin to keep their BGL in check. Honestly like there is bread hidden in the meat! I suspect that you don't yet know whether protein has an adverse effect on your BGL?

If you're not wanting to increase your carb intake (which is understandable) then your only other option would really be fats, protein and milk and dairy. These can affect BGL but if you're looking to gain weight then this might be your only option. I'm no dietician so can't really advise that well.

What about increasing your carb intake but with better carbs? Such as seeded breads, green veg, lentils, nuts, etc?

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think someone on here recently said peanuts were a good way of increasing weight - I was eating quite a lot of roasted salted peanuts recently, and my weight did go up, so I have cut back on them after reading that.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese and nuts are generally suggested.

I had a similar problem 18 months ago when I kept on losing on low carb. It took a while, but eventually I found the right balance of extra fat and protein found in fats. I introduced cheese and double cream to my diet, plus extra eggs and butter. (I don't like nuts) It is all a question of finding additional calories from foods other than carbs, and finding the right balance. I have maintained my ideal weight since then.

Reactions: 6 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the suggestion. I shall be eating more nuts and cheese from now onwards and see if it makes any difference to my weight.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 3 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That should do it. I don't eat dairy because it lacks the pounds on and I do need to limit nuts as well.
You could also substitutes some carbs with extra protein
I want to add that not only does dairy pack the pounds on but it also spikes me and makes me insulin resistant so be sure to test. We are all different.
You will be getting extra protein in dairy and nuts too.

Reactions: 5 people

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I can fill my boots with protein and it has no effect on my BGL, others on this forum need to take ridiculous amounts of insulin to keep their BGL in check. Honestly like there is bread hidden in the meat! I suspect that you don't yet know whether protein has an adverse effect on your BGL?

If you're not wanting to increase your carb intake (which is understandable) then your only other option would really be fats, protein and milk and dairy. These can affect BGL but if you're looking to gain weight then this might be your only option. I'm no dietician so can't really advise that well.

What about increasing your carb intake but with better carbs? Such as seeded breads, green veg, lentils, nuts, etc?
Thanks for your reply I used to be able to eat a lot of protein with no impact on bsl but now find it does have a small impact. I think i will up the protein, up the vegetables and up the nuts and fat a bit and hopefully that will work

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I think someone on here recently said peanuts were a good way of increasing weight - I was eating quite a lot of roasted salted peanuts recently, and my weight did go up, so I have cut back on them after reading that.
I will try that, thank you

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply I used to be able to eat a lot of protein with no impact on bsl but now find it does have a small impact. I think i will up the protein, up the vegetables and up the nuts and fat a bit and hopefully that will work
No problem:)

As @Bluetit1802 said, it's about finding the extra calories via means that keep your BGL in check.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

I had a similar problem 18 months ago when I kept on losing on low carb. It took a while, but eventually I found the right balance of extra fat and protein found in fats. I introduced cheese and double cream to my diet, plus extra eggs and butter. (I don't like nuts) It is all a question of finding additional calories from foods other than carbs, and finding the right balance. I have maintained my ideal weight since then.

Thanks for your reply. It is encouraging to hear that you managed to put on weight I was beginning to thinking was just going to fade away to nothing. I'm getting a bit sick of people telling me how skinny I look I will try everything you suģested

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
That should do it. I don't eat dairy because it lacks the pounds on and I do need to limit nuts as well.
You could also substitutes some carbs with extra protein
I want to add that not only does dairy pack the pounds on but it also spikes me and makes me insulin resistant so be sure to test. We are all different.
You will be getting extra protein in dairy and nuts too.
Thanks for your reply. I have a short chai latte a day. I do spike to about 7.1 but it's a good source of calories, and I'm addicted to them I will definitely try eating more nuts and cheese.

Abri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the info i am looking for as well. Since i started cutting down on carbs my weight has rapidly dropped. I don't want to gain a lot but to go back to my normal weight without increasing on carbs. I am pre-diabetic and my previous (last week)HBA1C was 5.7, a drop from 6.5 six months ago. I was not overweight.