how do you sleep with a pump?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just be careful not to leave it on the electric blanket if you use one.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So here's the question... If you are underneath the Duvet and generate loads of heat (as do I) does it affect the efficacy of the insulin? If I were to end up lying on the pump (and I could easily do this and sleep through it - I've done it on blood testing meters in the past), would the insulin get too warm in a pump?
Tim, I have been wandering round Turkey with 3ml Novorapid pens in up to 40 degrees C heat for ten years. No problem with degradation of insulin. (I can't say the same for my bugbear Lantus - that seems much more unstable and used to stay firmly in the fridge door.) This is my first year on the pump, still using Novorapid but if anything the situation should be better. I use under 1ml in three days, and only load the reservoir with three days' worth at a time compared with carrying around ten days supply in a pen. Plus, not me, but the hubs generates massive heat while sleeping. It doesn't make any difference. I reckon by the time you generate enough heat to affect your insulin efficacy, you will be casting off covers, turning on fans, etc.

If I let my pump wander around the bed while I'm sleeping, it can disturb me a bit, so I also tend to clip it onto nightwear somewhere. The hubs keeps suggesting I make myself a little jersey belt-type thing to contain it. (Do any men actually approve of 'nightwear'? ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So here's the question... If you are underneath the Duvet and generate loads of heat (as do I) does it affect the efficacy of the insulin? If I were to end up lying on the pump (and I could easily do this and sleep through it - I've done it on blood testing meters in the past), would the insulin get too warm in a pump?

With a patch pump like the Omnipod it sits on the skin at all times, so it inevitably gets warm under a duvet and when having a bath or showering, not had any issues thus far with the insulin deteriorating due to temperature, but much like Ruth the insulin gets changed every 3 days as this is when the pods expire.