How highly would you recommend eating low carb?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I fully support robinredbreast ...to,suggest insulin or medication that people need for any health problem is indeed insulting when it is referred to as poison ....

I'm referring to the carbs as poison, not the medication. I haven't suggested that taking essential insulin is poison or an antidote, merely that some seem to think taking more insulin to offset eating more carbs is a good idea..

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you give it some thought you might find my suggestion as to your extremely low fat intake actually is constructive.

I can also very much appreciate the very positive effect of low carbing for T1, maybe even more so as I myself, as a very carb sensitive T2 actually can stay off meds by low carbing.

I also think low fat diets are dangerous, and if you want to low carb you need a good portion of healthy fat to keep you going. As in a couple of hundred grams per day.
200g x 9 = 1800 calories?
I guess it was a typo as that might be a touch high?
I agree with the LCHF

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now, from reading that, the inference is that eating your RDA of carbohydrates is the reason 94% of type 1 diabetics are not hitting the target of 6.5%. [...] it is most certainly not the reason that 94% of T1's don't have an HbA1c of 6.5% or below.

Really? And your evidence for this claim is... ?

How many stick to the recommended alcohol intake?
How many exercise as often as recommended?
How many test regularly?
How many have a good knowledge of their insulin requirements?
How many have been let down by the system?
How many actually, genuinely, give a **** about their diabetes?

OMFG this makes my blood boil. There is no way 94% are non compliant with those points and most of them are marginal anyway.

This is EXACTLY what we get from HCPs every bloody checkup. Hba1c went up again? You're obviously not doing the basics. You say you are testing etc? You're obviously lying. Incredibly offensive and logically stupid. They make a circular argument that we are lying about our compliance because "if we followed the rules our Hba1c would be good". Therefore we are lying.

Meanwhile there is NO **** evidence that following their recommendations actually works ***.

It is this head in the sand arrogant non-listening circular argument shoot-the-messenger blame game that causes diabetic burnout when we become utterly frustrated banging our heads against this HCP brick wall of blind, patient-blaming ignorance.

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, ***! What part of that is hard to understand????

Reactions: 22 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Really? And your evidence for this claim is... ?

OMFG this makes my blood boil. There is no way 94% are non compliant with those points and most of them are marginal anyway.

This is EXACTLY what we get from HCPs every bloody checkup. Hba1c went up again? You're obviously not doing the basics. You say you are testing etc? You're obviously lying. Incredibly offensive and logically stupid. They make a circular argument that we are lying about our compliance because "if we followed the rules our Hba1c would be good". Therefore we are lying.

Meanwhile there is NO **** evidence that following their recommendations actually works ***.

It is this head in the sand arrogant non-listening circular argument shoot-the-messenger blame game that causes diabetic burnout when we become utterly frustrated banging our heads against this HCP brick wall of blind, patient-blaming ignorance.

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, ***! What part of that is hard to understand????
I. Really like the passion @Spiker !
Carbs are bad for diabetics especially processed fast food and the highly unnutritious breads that are not only full of carbs but preservatives and sugar.

As spiker said- ***- how hard is it to understand these foods are killing people and the only people who seem to really care are on this site!

The logic and evidence of success are here and related sites of LCHF.

There is no success stories of HCLF on here or anywhere else that I have read or tried.
I have been on a low fat diet for over ten years, I put weight on with an increasing unhealthy BP and fatty liver.

Since LCHF I have lost weight, the best BP since I was a kid and no fatty liver!
I am fitter and healthier than I have been for thirty years. More energy, and my latest results are good. I had my retinopathy test today and my eyesight has improved since last year!

I wonder why?

Reactions: 13 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
200g x 9 = 1800 calories?
I guess it was a typo as that might be a touch high?
I agree with the LCHF
No typo. I do HF so aim for 75-80 E% fat. Do you have problem with that?

While @Geordie lass has a whole of 10 grams of fat per day. I think ten grams of fat is dangerously low.

Fats are essential. I do seriously high fat as I also do seriously low carb. I don't ask others to be as strict as I am, but I don't think you can do low carb or any level of carb at 10 grams of fat per day. It just isn't sustainable. Fats are essential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No typo. I do HF so aim for 75-80 E5 fat. Do you have problem with that?

While @Geordie lass has a whole of 10 grams of fat per day. I think ten grams of fat is dangerously low.

Fats are essential. I do seriously high fat as I also do seriously low carb. I don't ask others to be as strict as I am, but I don't think you can do low carb or any level of carb at 10 grams of fat per day. It just isn't sustainable. Fats are essential.

Why should anyone have any problem with what you choose to eat?
I eat a lot less fat than you, probably only a 1/4 or so, it works for me, and I'm sure you'll appreciate my choice for me.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No typo. I do HF so aim for 75-80 E5% fat. Do you have problem with that?

sorry, I don't know what E5 is and google didn't help, I'm not having a shot at you, I don't have a problem if you need 1800 cal of fat and fats are an essential requirement, where carbs aren't.. I doubt if Geordie put her diet into MFP it would come out at 10g, is it possible to be that low?

edit, curiosity got me.. World Health Organisation recommends we need a minimum of 32g fat daily

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I'm referring to the carbs as poison, not the medication. I haven't suggested that taking essential insulin is poison or an antidote, merely that some seem to think taking more insulin to offset eating more carbs is a good idea..
Ok, but I am not experienced to advise on insulin to,people who know what carbs they need in relation to,their insulin ....
I would not be able to,share information regarding carbs and insulin ...but I guess the amount of carbs that can be tolerated are individual to all people and children whatever type they have ...

Thanks for feedback and clarity ....

Last edited:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I doubt if Geordie put her diet into MFP it would come out at 10g, is it possible to be that low?
@geordielass has had gastrorestriction [which] needs to be taken in context of her low cal food intake. For her 10g fat is not abnormal as an E%. It's not LCHF for sure, but I think it is inconsiderate if anyone is calling that starvation or dangerous. Even though I know the remarks are well intentioned.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@geordielass has had gastrorestriction [which] needs to be taken in context of her low cal food intake. For her 10g fat is not abnormal as an E%. It's not LCHF for sure, but I think it is inconsiderate if anyone is calling that starvation or dangerous. Even though I know the remarks are well intentioned.
Thanks, I missed that bit, so it's a medically controlled situation. A whole different ball game, that will teach me again not to just jump in.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
your RDA of carbohydrates
Quiz - Scardoc or anybody - who knows how the RDA for carbs was determined, and how it is maintained and adjusted? Or the RDA for any macronutrient, for that matter.

It is a staggering feat of the awesome science that is dietetics. Possibly its crowning achievement, unless that honour goes to the Food Pyramid or the Eat Well plate. But no, the RDA has more science in it than either of those.

Much as Eric Pickles MP in a dirty track suit is far more handsome than the innards of a squashed cockroach.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quiz - Scardoc or anybody - who knows how the RDA for carbs was determined, and how it is maintained and adjusted? Or the RDA for any macronutrient, for that matter.

It is a staggering feat of the awesome science that is dietetics. Possibly its crowning achievement, unless that honour goes to the Food Pyramid or the Eat Well plate. But no, the RDA has more science in it than either of those.

Much as Eric Pickles MP in a dirty track suit is far more handsome than the innards of a squashed cockroach.
the American diabetic ass have stoped recommending a carb intake in their latest advice, about 6 mths a go..it was a big deal at the time
http://www.professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0 - Sean/dc132042 FINAL.pdf?utm_source=Offline&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=nutritionguidelines&utm_campaign=DP&s_src=vanity&s_subsrc=nutritionguidelines
Carbohydrates Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of carbohydrate intake for people with diabetes.
Therefore, collaborative goals should be developed with the individual with diabetes.
C
The amount of carbohydrates and available insulin may be the most important factor influencing
glycemic response after eating and should be considered when developing the eating plan.
A
Monitoring carbohydrate intake, whether by carbohydrate counting or experience-based
estimation remains a key strategy in achieving glycemic control.
B
For good health, carbohydrate intake from vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and dairy
products should be advised over intake from other carbohydrate sources, especially those
that contain added fats, sugars, or sodium.

they must have chocked writing this
Total fat Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of total fat intake for people with diabetes;
therefore, goals should be individualized (C); fat quality appears to be far more important
than quantity. (B)
C, B
MUFAs/PUFAs In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich eating pattern may benefit
glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective
alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Adele99

Can you try having milled flaxseeds? These and chia seeds has kept my stomach moving fantastically since I was diagnosed with slow colonic transit. So much so, that I am now discharged from hospital care.. I keep in contact with my gastro chap though and he is now researching the benefits of flaxseeds with sct...I have honestly never had a problem with my bowels now for at least 6 months. I also stopped having jelly babies or anything jelly like because I believe that was the initial causation of my troubles with sct.

Many thanks for this suggestion. Going to buy some and give them a try as been doubled on and off with really sharp bowel pain in lower right quarter for most of this year.have had an US and CT scan , they thought it was kidney stones. Now they're pushing to do a colonoscopy but can't face it, had bad experience with one about 7 years ago. So delayed my appointment with gastric surgeon, fingers crossed maybe this will help solve this problem. I'm quite sure it's nothing sinister but something to do withe the gastroparesis and slow transit. Tho GP said pain in left side would tend to fit that reason more, but who knows.

Didn't realise 90 g was partly low carbing, when first diagnosed many moons ago the dietician said I'd need around 110 g per day and I've just stuck to that, and decreased it only because I hardly need many calories these days. So that's good, will still try a bit less over time then. Thanks

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Adele99 it varies between individuals. 90g might get you into nutritional ketosis, it might not. But either way it will be healthier for you. If you can go lower, great. If not, you are doing fine.

Reactions: 3 people