How to cope ?

Kevinmerc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the docs with breathing difficulties,I put weight on over the last 7 years following a motor cycle accident driven over right hand side so cannot easily exercise , so long story short diagnosed type2 about 12 weeks ago lost a stone so far , low carbs, then put on metformin. side effect difficulty breathing chest pains ? , now met mr same side effects? Do these doctors know what they're doing , it seems they have there own agenda and your newly diagnosed what do you know! . Still can't walk upstairs without gasping no I don't smoke. Are there any other meds? That maybe more expensive they don't want you to know about?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Kevinmerc and welcome to the forum :)

I have just checked the leaflet inside my box of metformin and it states to discontinue immediately and tell your doctor if you experience difficulty in breathing while taking it as you may be allergic to it.

I don't know of any other similar meds, but someone else will. Well done on your weight loss.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Well done on your weight loss so far, and for going down the low carb route.

These are the possible side effects of Metformin
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/metformin-side-effects.html

Metformin is the first line drug for T2 diabetes, especially if you have weight to lose. There are other drugs that can be prescribed. You should ask your GP about them. If Metformin is not suitable for you, the GP will try something else. Meanwhile, stop taking them as mentioned above by @Avocado Sevenfold and point out to your GP what it says on the leaflet.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations

I have just checked the leaflet inside my box of metformin and it states to discontinue immediately and tell your doctor if you experience difficulty in breathing while taking it as you may be allergic to it.

I don't know of any other similar meds, but someone else will. Well done on your weight loss.
I second that! Don't take chances!!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin only normally causes bowel upset for some. With your symptoms I would stop and talk to the GP. There is nothing equivalent to Metformin but as it never has that much effect I would just stick to the low-carb diet and see where you get to. The drug Sitaglitpin may help and is generally side-effect free.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are clear warnings to stop taking Metformin if you have breathing difficulties.
It never made much difference to me when I stopped taking it - I had really nasty side effects, and found that just by reducing carbs I was fine, absolutely fine.

Kevinmerc

Type of diabetes
Type 2