Type 1 How to help

liverly

Hi, I'm not exactly sure if this is correct forum for this question so if it should be somewhere else, admins please move it :)
My boyfriend is Type 1 for over 20 years, so most of his life. We are together for 2 years and I'm still learning about it. I never knew anyone with diabetes, or at least I do not know about it, so I really admire how he manages to live with it. We do not live together and I rarely see him going low but when it happens it terrifies me. It happened maybe 2-3 times during our relationship but I obviously know it happens more often, just without me being around. Problem is that when I try to help when he's going low, he fights everything I try to do. I ask him to eat, he says no. I ask him to drink something sweet, he says no. First time it happened was when we were on a trip and out on the street. I didn't know what's happening when his movements were pretty uncoordinated and suddenly he just sat down on a pavement. I figured he might be low so I asked him to eat something and he didn't want to. After some time I finally managed to convince him to get up so we can sit at the bus stop and he decided on his own to eat. Later when we spoke about it, he told me that if I'll try to force him to do something, he'll be fighting it. This comes from the way his mother was trying to help - she obviously recognises when he's coming home and he's low but what she was doing was taking a glass of sweet drink, putting it under his nose and saying "drink" - and he didn't want to.
Does this happen to anyone else? Do your partners fight you when they are low and you try to help? He told me to work with him, not against him - I guess "against" is only in his hypo mind as he perfectly knows I'm only trying to help, but it leaves me ... well helpless. I learned how to recognise his hypos as he's pretty quiet guy, doesn't talk much and when he goes low, he starts being talkative and as I said, pretty uncoordinated. Few days ago we were out at a festival and suddenly I realised he's already low (which was pretty weird because he ate 3 hours before) so I said it's time for us to leave. He asked why and I said "because you're going low" and he was already in a fighting mode as he said "NO!". I thought ok, i'm not going to fight him. 10 mins later I said I want to leave, he again asked why and I said "because it's late and I'm working tomorrow" - that worked, we left. I know he alway carries some sweets in his pocket so I asked "do you have your sweets with you?" and again, in a fighting mode, he said "no!". I didn't say anything, just drove him home. When were near his home he didn't want to go out of the car, he was talkative, asking questions etc. So I said "listen, you have some sweets in your pocket, can you give me one?" - he asked why and I said because I need one. This actually worked and he gave me the sweet. I faked I'm eating it and I asked him to open his mouth and he should eat one too. Why? Because it's good and I want him to try it. Success, he opened his mouth and he ate it. He went out of the car, I took him home, asked him to eat something and I left (had to). It scared the hell out of me but I was also kind of happy I managed to convince him to eat the sweet.
What are your ways to help in cases like that?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @liverly Welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately when a diabetic goes hypo then rational thinking goes out the door, so someone quite kind and quiet can turn obnoxious and aggressive, the process is the brain is being starved of glucose and and as a consequence of the brain shutting down and that person cannot cope under pressure, so being forced to do something will turn them anti, so the approach of 'do you fancy a sweet' rather than 'drink this now' will be more likely to work.

There's no easy way round this, unless he has a continuous glucose monitor which will alarm him to a potential hypo.

A question I have is does he feel a hypo coming on ? Type 1's should have hypo awareness and feel it when levels start to drop, this is the time to test and treat before levels go too low, a milder hypo is easier to deal with and recover from but if his levels are going low low then his behaviour will be adversely affected.

I too can be aggressive but only in terms of loud and banging doors but this is rare behaviour and only when I am going lower than around 2.9 mmol/l, however I can feel hypos coming so generally treat before I go low.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to confirm yes hypos mean that rationality goes completely out of the window, I know I've fought off people trying to help me because in my mind they were trying to hurt me or make me ill - my brain would go into the 'no I can't have sugary stuff it'll make me high and that's bad' and my brain was completely oblivious to the fact that I needed that sugar, my brain was convinced I was perfectly fine.

And please don't blame his mother for why he doesn't want sweet stuff when low, I know my parents basically had to force sugary water into me when I was younger, cos I would just clamp my mouth shut and refuse to do anything when going lower and lower, them asking nicely got them absolutely nowhere (I suspect it was absolutely awful for them in having to do so) - so it's possibly his mother had to do exactly the same to get him to have anything.

liverly

Hey @Juicyj , thanks for answer :)

With regards to your question if he feels going low - I thinks so because once we were at my place, watching a movie, and he said to me "I have to eat something" - I asked why (we ate dinner like 2 hours before) and he said "i feel like I'm going low". Since he eats quite often, he doesn't feel hungry like a healthy person, so this is why it surprised me. Not sure why he didn't feel going low that evening. Could alcohol have anything to do with it? It was a whiskey festival but he didn't have a lot.

liverly

@Rokaab thanks for answer. He was complaining about his mother doing that and he said it annoyed him in both hypo and fine mind. He showed me the way she did it and I actually jumped back from the glass. I do understand her reasoning, but she still does that occasionally and I guess she should be the one who knows how to deal with her son's hypo since she knows him best.
Anyway, I'm trying to find some solutions how to go around this so I don't annoy him and he won't turn on his fighting mode on me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @liverly ,

Welcome to the forum..

Is there any way you could get your fella to log in here?

I could help if he empowered himself..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm not exactly sure if this is correct forum for this question so if it should be somewhere else, admins please move it :)
My boyfriend is Type 1 for over 20 years, so most of his life. We are together for 2 years and I'm still learning about it. I never knew anyone with diabetes, or at least I do not know about it, so I really admire how he manages to live with it. We do not live together and I rarely see him going low but when it happens it terrifies me. It happened maybe 2-3 times during our relationship but I obviously know it happens more often, just without me being around. Problem is that when I try to help when he's going low, he fights everything I try to do. I ask him to eat, he says no. I ask him to drink something sweet, he says no. First time it happened was when we were on a trip and out on the street. I didn't know what's happening when his movements were pretty uncoordinated and suddenly he just sat down on a pavement. I figured he might be low so I asked him to eat something and he didn't want to. After some time I finally managed to convince him to get up so we can sit at the bus stop and he decided on his own to eat. Later when we spoke about it, he told me that if I'll try to force him to do something, he'll be fighting it. This comes from the way his mother was trying to help - she obviously recognises when he's coming home and he's low but what she was doing was taking a glass of sweet drink, putting it under his nose and saying "drink" - and he didn't want to.
Does this happen to anyone else? Do your partners fight you when they are low and you try to help? He told me to work with him, not against him - I guess "against" is only in his hypo mind as he perfectly knows I'm only trying to help, but it leaves me ... well helpless. I learned how to recognise his hypos as he's pretty quiet guy, doesn't talk much and when he goes low, he starts being talkative and as I said, pretty uncoordinated. Few days ago we were out at a festival and suddenly I realised he's already low (which was pretty weird because he ate 3 hours before) so I said it's time for us to leave. He asked why and I said "because you're going low" and he was already in a fighting mode as he said "NO!". I thought ok, i'm not going to fight him. 10 mins later I said I want to leave, he again asked why and I said "because it's late and I'm working tomorrow" - that worked, we left. I know he alway carries some sweets in his pocket so I asked "do you have your sweets with you?" and again, in a fighting mode, he said "no!". I didn't say anything, just drove him home. When were near his home he didn't want to go out of the car, he was talkative, asking questions etc. So I said "listen, you have some sweets in your pocket, can you give me one?" - he asked why and I said because I need one. This actually worked and he gave me the sweet. I faked I'm eating it and I asked him to open his mouth and he should eat one too. Why? Because it's good and I want him to try it. Success, he opened his mouth and he ate it. He went out of the car, I took him home, asked him to eat something and I left (had to). It scared the hell out of me but I was also kind of happy I managed to convince him to eat the sweet.
What are your ways to help in cases like that?
Not a T1 here, but while medicated I had a few hypo's... I always got combative, and while I KNEW I was low, and had the meter to prove it, I didn't want to eat. Flat out refused. My husband was really patient in those circumstances and did get me to eat somehow. Digging his own heels in, often saying he wanted to have some lunch or something, then picking at his food because he wasn't hungry at all, just wanted me to eat! Or he'd get some cake with his tea, and knew I'd want to have a bite... Or two. (Once you start, the struggle is pretty much over). I knew I was being tricked into eating, but as long as it didn't feel like I was capitulating, it was fine. So all in all... Whatever his traumatic experiences are with "DRINK!", the irrational, combative feelings are there too, and one will feed into another. So what it comes down to? You've been a star so far. Talk to him about how it makes you feel, (not while he's hypo but thinking rationally and 100% himself), and ask him as well about what you should do. But so far, so good.

And one more thing: If something does go seriously wrong, it is NEVER your fault. Okay? You're there and you're trying. That's all you can do.

liverly

Thanks @JoKalsbeek - you actually made me smile ;)
We did talk about what should I do when he goes hypo and the only solution he had was "work with me". I guess he is not even sure himself because no one tried that? I don't know.
He also told me that in case he loses conscious to not freak out and to call an ambulance. Perfect... That didn't happen so far and I really hope it won't. I really care about that guy and I worry quite a lot but I also know he can take care of himself. Just situations like that scare me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee hard to say, I told him once I was reading this and that on the forum and he just rolled his eyes...

You sound like a caring individual.

With regards to your question if he feels going low - I thinks so because once we were at my place, watching a movie, and he said to me "I have to eat something" - I asked why (we ate dinner like 2 hours before) and he said "i feel like I'm going low". Since he eats quite often, he doesn't feel hungry like a healthy person, so this is why it surprised me. Not sure why he didn't feel going low that evening. Could alcohol have anything to do with it? It was a whiskey festival but he didn't have a lot.

I'm a pretty hypo awair & passive guy. Lol, I have to resist the temptation to roll my eyes at my wife in the early days of relationship if on the occaision I've misstimed or miscalculated a bolus for a meal & dropped too low?
I would test & treat myself & she would enquire "have I not given you enough to eat..?"
No, sweetheart it's not about your fantastic culinary skills.. It my fopar.. :)
It's sometimes happened when i cook too..:banghead:

Alcohol can "mask" the feeling of a low. What it also does is retard any action of glucogen from the liver as it deals with the booze. Which in turn could make the drop in BG a little quicker, thus slower to react?

I hope your boyfriend can read this topic & others..? He may find you don't have to be a "perfect diabetic" to participate on this forum. He may just find the right balance for him.. ;)

liverly

@Jaylee thanks for the info about alcohol! I didn't know about it. We do drink wine sometimes (with dinner for example), he likes whiskey and gin. Not on a daily basis, more on the meeting friends occasion, which happens quite rarely lately. Not going to make him not drink but I will keep an eye on that :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lively - have you considered, in a quiet moment asking him what he would like you to do when you feel concern he may be low or unwell.

If his response is nothing, in your shoes, I'd probably tell him that's all very well, but does he understand how it feels to be watching the car crash happen, when it feels avoidable?

I think you have to have your say, in some way. I wonder if you could agree some sort of approach, or even some coded words, to signal all isn't as it should be.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @JoKalsbeek - you actually made me smile ;)
We did talk about what should I do when he goes hypo and the only solution he had was "work with me". I guess he is not even sure himself because no one tried that? I don't know.
He also told me that in case he loses conscious to not freak out and to call an ambulance. Perfect... That didn't happen so far and I really hope it won't. I really care about that guy and I worry quite a lot but I also know he can take care of himself. Just situations like that scare me.
Don't freak out, haha, yeah, that's helpful...! I'm a very anxious person, but when something goes wrong I get extremely calm and will call an ambulance (for my mom, cardiac issues), pack an overnight bag while waiting for the ambulance to come and whatnot, keeping insanely tranquil so I don't make my already scared mom panic even more, you know... ? And don't collapse into a gibbering, weepy heap until it's all over with. I am a person who is too scared to leave the flat on most days, terrified of using the phone, so that's all saying something. I'm weird that way. It doesn't work like that for most people though, and you won't know what kind of reaction you'll have until you're faced with it. What helps me though: I know what to do when the **** hits the fan. I know what to pack, I know who to call, I know what medication to bring along, and I know the answers to most of the questions by the MT's that'll be asked in case mom can't respond. I am prepared A.F.! Might be a good idea for you too. Learn how to use hypo gel and always carry some in your purse, just in case. Learn how to test blood glucose, if he's not on a monitor you can simply read out. If he's high and possibly in keto-acidosis, you don't want to put even more sugar in there, after all. Learn the basics of T1, like, alcohol can most certainly cause hypo's. (The liver can't multi-task: if it's filtering alcohol, it can't pump out glucose to prevent going low, and when slightly tipsy you don't feel hypo's coming until they floor you. And since it considers alcohol poison, the liver will always decide on doing that task first). Also, at festivals, things can get hypo-ey quick as it is. It's very active, and even without meds, last year, my husband had to walk me off a field at a concert because my legs were basically giving out. Of course, I left my meter at home, but I was walking like a drunk and was slurring my words, got very confused... And I'd only drunk water. (Hubby got me food. :)). I'm a T2, and these days unmedicated, I'm not supposed to hypo...! But concerts will still knock me down, even when stone cold sober. (My liver'll kick in and provide some glucose later, but not quick enough.). It's all stuff you can learn about, there's books, there's people here you can ask who've been T1's for just about forever... Just be careful you don't start treating your BF as a patient. You're not his carer, you're his significant other. Learn, but don't dictate, like his mom used to. Just be prepared for any eventuality... It could be as easy as having some disgustingly sweet gluco-gel in your purse. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee thanks for the info about alcohol! I didn't know about it. We do drink wine sometimes (with dinner for example), he likes whiskey and gin. Not on a daily basis, more on the meeting friends occasion, which happens quite rarely lately. Not going to make him not drink but I will keep an eye on that :)

Hey! Nothing wrong with a drink now & again. I like his choices... :)

Just use the meter & keep an eye on the BGs. There are some fantastic developments with CGMs & flash monitoring for BG managment too. I only need to look at my phone these days to gauge what's happening. ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DCUKMod will try that too :)

Were I in your shoes, I'd probably take it slowly, and give him some time to think about it, once you've had your say. After all, you are looking for him to think about modifying the approach of a lifetime (or his diabetes lifetime in any case).

However if he is absolutely closed to everything, I think, if I read your posts correctly, it could be worthwhile saying that somehow you have to come to some sort of accommodation, you can each be more comfortable with, else hypos will be the elephant in the room, leaving you walking on eggshells when he goes low.

It must be really hard for both of you, but it strikes me as the,sort of thing that could really get tricky if you were ever going through a tough patch.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, I agree with what others have said but bear in mind you can go low at ANY time regardless of whether you last ate 3 hours ago or an hour ago. Many, many other factors can contribute to someone suddenly going low, it is not a scientific thing. Also, sometimes (maybe most times) a person might feel a low coming on, sometimes you don't so there isn't much point asking him for an explanation because sometimes there isn't one. You sound like a lovely, caring person but be careful you don't overdo it, he's not a child, you're not his Mum and from experience there is nothing worse than someone watching your every move. asking you endless questions and querying this and that, it can come across as controlling even though you are 'helping'. HE needs to look at why he (seemingly) isn't managing his condition as he should, a low is a very dangerous thing. Maybe he could go back to his Dr's?, does he have a libre and if not, he may be eligible for one. x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I learned more now than for 2 years from him ;)

We don't know yer fella. But he may just be trying to play the cool James Dean enigmatic type with it all at this stage of the relationship.
Being "mummy's special little diabetic soldier" can also ware a bit thin by the time you hit a certain age...

Hypoglycemia can play some foul tricks on the mind.. That's not even considering the lack of coordination which can shatter confidence if displayed in public?

I hope he finds his mojo, opens up a bit more.

liverly

@KK123 he doesn't have libre, we do not live in UK and there's no similar thing in our country. He has to rely on his meter readings.
Yes, I try not to ask too many questions, as the many I already asked did seem to annoy him a bit. I know he lives with it longer than I know him and he knows what he is doing. Well I hope at least :)

@Jaylee opening up is not his thing and I actually found out he's diabetic a month into dating him. It was pretty funny because we went out for dinner, he took out his insulin pen and at first I thought it's e-cigarette and me shocked asked "you smoke?!" - he looked at me like I'm crazy and he said "no, I'm diabetic"... which surprised me even more because on our first date we had a cake :D