Humalog shortage March 2024

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The shortage is said to last into next year, the solution is to change insulin

My hospital sent an email last week as follows

Due to a shortage of Humalog insulin in vials can we suggest that if you are on this insulin via your pump can you ask your GP to prescribe the following insulin from your GP
Admelog 10 ml vials or
Novorapid 10 ml vials or
Trurapi 10 ml vials
Any of these will be ok or use in your pumps
Good you got an email from your hospital! First I've heard of it when I went to the pharmacy and they say they were out of stock and could not fulfil it from their suppliers!!

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just put an email to my hospital and they called me back within 10 minutes!! They are going to switch me to Novorapid as the humalog Kwikpens apparently are not suitable for pump use

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m glad I found this thread. I had no idea about a shortage on vials. I use Novolog vials for my insulin pump (Medtronic 780). Extracting from the vial is simple, however last week when I requested a refill of Novolog, my pharmacy at first said it was out of stock. Then, when I called to discuss it, they told me my insurance no longer covers vials, only pen cartridges. I found this preposterous. So, now I don’t know what to believe.

Guess, I’ll try to figure out how to extract the insulin from the pen cartridge. I saw the description upthread. Thank you.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just put an email to my hospital and they called me back within 10 minutes!! They are going to switch me to Novorapid as the humalog Kwikpens apparently are not suitable for pump use
I'm in New Zealand where the humalog cartridges for non disposable pens are readily available and I've always used them for my pump. My fills are 2ml and 2 cartridges lasts me 3 fills...

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Humalog in my pump and have been given Novarapid as an interim measure. I have found it does not work nearly as quickly or as effectively as Humalog. I have had some horrendous spikes post meals.

As an aside I have recently been unwell and was on an increased dose of steroids. I am now back to my usual dose of steroids ( 10 days since I reduced the dose). As yet I am still requiring extra insulin) Hopefully once things settle I will be able to see if these post meal spikes disappear.