Humalog shortage March 2024

MRennie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone
Hopefully someone can help
I have just joined today because for the first time in over 30 years of being type 1 on Humalog I have been told that my pharmacy has none available to reorder, they do not know when it will be back in supply, and the diabetes team at the hospital have not heard anything about it and were completely unaware when I contacted them today. Is anyone else aware of this issue so far?
Thanks in advance for any advice or reassurance!

Reactions: Ljm84

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
HI @MRennie and welcome to the forums. Is it the 3ml cartridges or the 10ml vials that they can't get? Your profile says you are using a pump, so am guessing the latter but wondering if you could make do with the former.

I'm in New Zealand and on humalog - no shortage as far as I know but I'll certainly post here if there is an issue. (And I'm about to be put on a pump and not sure which size I'll be using...)

Apparently there are issues in Columbia? (Have tried googling and this is the only humalog shortage I can find)

Another thought, is there another pharmacy you could ask? Maybe it's an issue with your pharmacy and not the supply....

MRennie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ellie
Thank you so much for your reply.
You are correct I’m on a pump, currently using the Omnipod .
The pharmacy said they don’t have the 3ml cartridges either ( similar story, they don’t know when they will be available.)
I contacted eight different pharmacies that I know of within about a fifteen mile radius (I’m a community nurse) and they have all just suddenly and unexpectedly run out. I emailed Lilly the makers to ask if they are aware this is happening and waiting for their response.

This is very very weird and very disturbing. I think what doesn’t help is the ignorance of the diabetes nurses at the hospital they had no clue about this when I called them. I know Brexit is making things more difficult than they need to be here in the UK on top of any supply problems the rest of the world may be experiencing . I know that here there has been a surge of patients starting on pumps, and in America the Biden administration have rightly managed to get Humalog manufacturers amongst others to more fairly price their insulin so all these things together might be squeezing supply. On top of that people are buying Humalog for bodybuilding although that will only be a small part of the problem.

I hope the clinic wake up and come up with a plan to substitute another insulin if need be.

Scary times

LM T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a Medtronic pump and have experienced the same problem this week in the UK. I also contacted 8 local pharmacies and none had any Humalog vials in stock. I managed to get 1 x vial from my hospital Diabetes nurse (what an angel). I've asked my GP pharmacy to prescribe Humalog Kwikpens (which are in stock) and I'm picking those up today. Apparently it's an issue with the supply of the vials not the insulin - all the Wegovy/Ozempic users are taking priority, obviously driven by wealth not health! Worrying times - I've never ever known this happen before in 20 years+ of managing Type 1 Diabetes.

LM T1

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

katebrady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I changed to Humalog in Hsnuary and my pharmacy took a week to get me the pens due to shortages: I have to use these as well as a pump as I’m currently using over 300 units a day. It did take them a while to get me the vials and I’m going to try now while I still have some in the fridge. I use Omnipod Dash plus Dexcom 7 and sadly looks like I’ve little choice but to go back to a tubed pump Tslim 2 cos st least it holds 300 units. Changing pods daily plus injections the things we have to do but at least I’m here to tell the tale. Doing my prescription now so will see how long it takes 10 vials x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed to Humalog in Hsnuary and my pharmacy took a week to get me the pens due to shortages: I have to use these as well as a pump as I’m currently using over 300 units a day. It did take them a while to get me the vials and I’m going to try now while I still have some in the fridge. I use Omnipod Dash plus Dexcom 7 and sadly looks like I’ve little choice but to go back to a tubed pump Tslim 2 cos st least it holds 300 units. Changing pods daily plus injections the things we have to do but at least I’m here to tell the tale. Doing my prescription now so will see how long it takes 10 vials x
Would it make sense to discuss with your diabetes nurse using pens for part of your basal instead of bolus?
That way your pods could last for the full 3 days, or at least 2, dealing with your bolus insulin, and you'd only have to take a manual shot of basal once a day.

Mileygal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've been using Humalog for many years and now using with Omnipod pump. My pharmacist couldn't fill my repeat prescription this time as they can no longer get Humalog and have no idea if or when they will get it back in stock! My GP put me on NovoRapid and apparently this is the closest match to Humalog. I started it yesterday and it seems OK so far. Perhaps this is a good alternative going forward? Worth a try.

Reactions: Antje77

di22yblonde

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been using Humalog for over 30 years and today I was told by my pharmacy that they cannot get any, they don't know why. What on earth is going on? Why is this not all over the news? No-one seems to know what is going on or why I cannot get hold of my insulin. What are you doing about this very serious issue Diabetes UK? Surely, being the leading charity on Diabetes in the UK you should at least be doing something to help out your members. What do I do now? Any advice would be very welcome.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been using Humalog for over 30 years and today I was told by my pharmacy that they cannot get any, they don't know why. What on earth is going on? Why is this not all over the news? No-one seems to know what is going on or why I cannot get hold of my insulin. What are you doing about this very serious issue Diabetes UK? Surely, being the leading charity on Diabetes in the UK you should at least be doing something to help out your members. What do I do now? Any advice would be very welcome.
Sorry you are having trouble getting your insulin, many types of medication are in short supply these days and it’s worrying for people. Just so you are aware this is not the Diabetes UK forum or website.

This is Diabetes.Co.Uk https://www.diabetes.co.uk/about.html not connected to the charity Diabetes Uk charity at all - Having said that we have some lovely helpful members that may be able to help

Have you tried a different pharmacy?

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd second trying another pharmacy. My normal pharmacy was telling me that they can't source one of my diabetes medicines due to national /global shortage. I assumed that all pharmacies would struggle, but another one has now been able to fill my prescription a couple of times in a row. A bit more out of the way for me, but at least I get the meds I need.

Reactions: di22yblonde

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is the issue with all forms of humalog? cartridges, prefilled pens and vials? You could swap between some formats, though if you're on injections a vial would require old style syringes and if using a pump the cartridges might be a little inconvenient (and obviously prefilled pens wouldn't help).

Looks like there is definitely an issue with the vials, at least in the US.

Reactions: di22yblonde

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Is the issue with all forms of humalog? cartridges, prefilled pens and vials? You could swap between some formats, though if you're on injections a vial would require old style syringes and if using a pump the cartridges might be a little inconvenient (and obviously prefilled pens wouldn't help).

Looks like there is definitely an issue with the vials, at least in the US.

It’s just as easy to draw from cartridges as a vial…. From talking to the hospital yesterday (in the uk) they think the issue is only vials. I ordered early so have a couple of spares.. I’ve asked for lyumjev even though it not approved for my pump.. just awaiting an answer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone
Hopefully someone can help
I have just joined today because for the first time in over 30 years of being type 1 on Humalog I have been told that my pharmacy has none available to reorder, they do not know when it will be back in supply, and the diabetes team at the hospital have not heard anything about it and were completely unaware when I contacted them today. Is anyone else aware of this issue so far?
Thanks in advance for any advice or reassurance!
My pharmacy had only one bottle yesterday and said they have ordered but having problems trying to get it

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a warning on the US medical journals about 3 weeks ago and linked in NICE. It was advising medical staff of impending shortage with the ridiculous suggestion that patients should build their own stocks. Guaranteed to cause a temporary shortage :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is the issue with all forms of humalog? cartridges, prefilled pens and vials?
I have read on the Diabetes UK website that the shortage is with the vials.
Pen cartridges are still available and can be used instead to fill a pump.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Ljm84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same problem here. I ordered on the 4th March and my pharmacy haven’t been able to get any. Nothing else for miles around. Someone as the surgery said she’d call around for me but I heard nothing so tried myself.
The doctors have now prescribed me Admelog which I was told is bio similar and has only been very recently available. I’m afraid to try it as I have other illnesses and medications, I feels like something is always reacting to something else.
So I’m rationing what I have left, under filing the pump so I don’t waste any. I thinking of just using the pump for basal and using pens for any basic bolus doses. It’s really scary that no one knows about this.
One thing that might but useful for others is that there’s a stock level checker on the pharmacy section of boots.com so you can see if there’s anything available nearby.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same problem here. I ordered on the 4th March and my pharmacy haven’t been able to get any. Nothing else for miles around. Someone as the surgery said she’d call around for me but I heard nothing so tried myself.
The doctors have now prescribed me Admelog which I was told is bio similar and has only been very recently available. I’m afraid to try it as I have other illnesses and medications, I feels like something is always reacting to something else.
So I’m rationing what I have left, under filing the pump so I don’t waste any. I thinking of just using the pump for basal and using pens for any basic bolus doses. It’s really scary that no one knows about this.
One thing that might but useful for others is that there’s a stock level checker on the pharmacy section of boots.com so you can see if there’s anything available nearby.
I also use Admelog and was told it was exactly the same. My experience has been that it takes a little longer to act. I also had three of the pen cartridges with cracked glass so id recommend checking them carefully.

Reactions: Ljm84

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Confused as to why the pumpers can't use cartridges? I've just started with a pump and humalog and am working through my stock of cartridges. Was considering moving to vials but don't think I'll bother as I have to have a couple of spare cartridges in case the pump fails.

Is there a shortage of cartridges too?

• Agree
Reactions: Finnlee and Antje77

Ljm84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also use Admelog and was told it was exactly the same. My experience has been that it takes a little longer to act. I also had three of the pen cartridges with cracked glass so id recommend checking them carefully.
Thanks for that. I couldn’t find anything much about it.