Hypoglycaemic man saved from burning car

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drove past there about 2 hours before this happened. Scary stuff!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
At least he will only lose his driving licence and not his life or anyone else's.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Poor dos...... i hope he was ok
BUT

never take bg levels for granted thinking you will be ok and then find yourself not. Always have some type of sweets thst are within easy reach in door pocket or on dashboard and if in doubt, eat something and then try to get off busy roads and pull over.

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20 years ago. I used to work in a garage.. One afternoon this old guy was on the forecourt by his Ford Siera screaming at me to switch the pump on..
I pointed out he had to lift the pump out of the holder in order for me to authorise fuel delivery..
The driver then initiated an altercation & during his rant, I asked if he was drunk. "Certainly not." Was the reply. "I'm a diabetic." The guy started moaning in a low voice then heavy breathing like a heart attack. Then with a burst of agression, He lurched across the counter & grabbed me by the throat. I fought the guy off. Throwing him back across the counter. He lost his balance, fell back against the stud wall in the small serving area oposite my counter. As he did so, I grabbed a Mars bar from the stock on the counter & threw it at him...

He left & sped off in his car..

An hour later I happened to look up from some paperwork & he walked back in looking kind of sheepish.. He said "I'm sorry about earlier." I held out my hand. Shook his & cut the slack...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three thoughts, Jaylee:
1 there but for the grace...
2 thank heavens it was you, not someone else
3 good for him for coming back to apologise

Some of my type2/reactive hypoglycaemia hypos have been potentially violent, and it scares me to think of what could have happened.

Thankfully, low carbing has virtually eliminated the problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank goodness he was pulled from the car.

@Jaylee, that most have been a frightening experience for you, but as Brunneria says at least he came back and apologised.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank goodness he was pulled from the car.

@Jaylee, that most have been a frightening experience for you, but as Brunneria says at least he came back and apologised.

I was more bemused by it all more than anything else... But the guy did leave a couple of claw marks on my neck as a souveneer..!

Incidentally. I would class myself as a confident driver. The only low incident I can account for was after a gig loading up to drive back to the hotel. I had this overwhelming "stage fright" come over me as we put the last bit of kit in the van.. I can't drive. I don't know how to handle this... A quick test & sure enough..!! I was right as rain once treated.

After gigs or a days graft is where I need to be diligent. Prior to getting behind the wheel...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With me, the danger time is if I have to get behind the wheel pre-breakfast
(Driving to surgery for fasting BG tests, or driving to meet ppl, to have breakfast...)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what early warning symptoms we should look out for with hypos?

I haven't personally experienced it, but I've seen videos of how drivers can be almost unbelievably erratic when having a hypo. It always amazes me that the person can be so unaware (or just beyond rational thinking) that they can keep driving and not pull over in this state.

What early warning signs should we look out for?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what early warning symptoms we should look out for with hypos?

I haven't personally experienced it, but I've seen videos of how drivers can be almost unbelievably erratic when having a hypo. It always amazes me that the person can be so unaware (or just beyond rational thinking) that they can keep driving and not pull over in this state.

What early warning signs should we look out for?

Hello. This thread may be of some enlightenment...! :) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-are-your-hypo-symptoms.73195/