What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Asparagus Soup with Lemon and Parmesan​

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients​

• 2 bunches asparagus (about 2¼ pounds), bottom ends trimmed
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
  • ½ cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Handful fresh herbs, such as thyme, dill or basil (optional, for garnish)

Instructions​

1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown; reduce the heat if necessary.
  2. In the meantime, cut the tips off of one bunch of the asparagus and set aside (you'll use those for a garnish). Cut the remaining spears and the other bunch of asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
  3. Add the chopped asparagus to the pot (minus the reserved tips), along with the chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
  4. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the reserved asparagus tips for a few minutes, or until tender-crisp. Drain the tips and then place them in a bowl of ice water to "shock" them -- this stops the cooking process and preserves their bright green color. Once the tips are cool, drain them and set aside.
  5. Purée the soup with an immersion blender until completely smooth. (Alternatively, use a standard blender to purée the soup in batches, then return the soup to the pot.) Bring the soup back to a simmer and stir in the lemon juice and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. To thicken the soup, allow it to simmer, uncovered, until the desired consistency is reached.
  6. Ladle the soup into bowls, then top each bowl with asparagus tips, Parmigiano-Reggiano, herbs (if using), and freshly ground black pepper.
  7. Freezer-Friendly Instructions: You can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot. (The soup will freeze best if you add the cheese when reheating.)

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Asparagus Soup with Lemon and Parmesan​

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients​

• 2 bunches asparagus (about 2¼ pounds), bottom ends trimmed
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
  • ½ cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Handful fresh herbs, such as thyme, dill or basil (optional, for garnish)

Instructions​

1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown; reduce the heat if necessary.
  2. In the meantime, cut the tips off of one bunch of the asparagus and set aside (you'll use those for a garnish). Cut the remaining spears and the other bunch of asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
  3. Add the chopped asparagus to the pot (minus the reserved tips), along with the chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
  4. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the reserved asparagus tips for a few minutes, or until tender-crisp. Drain the tips and then place them in a bowl of ice water to "shock" them -- this stops the cooking process and preserves their bright green color. Once the tips are cool, drain them and set aside.
  5. Purée the soup with an immersion blender until completely smooth. (Alternatively, use a standard blender to purée the soup in batches, then return the soup to the pot.) Bring the soup back to a simmer and stir in the lemon juice and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. To thicken the soup, allow it to simmer, uncovered, until the desired consistency is reached.
  6. Ladle the soup into bowls, then top each bowl with asparagus tips, Parmigiano-Reggiano, herbs (if using), and freshly ground black pepper.
  7. Freezer-Friendly Instructions: You can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot. (The soup will freeze best if you add the cheese when reheating.)
I tried cheese in soup in Belgium on my recent holiday - never had before except for in french onion soup which has cheese topped toast floating on it which obviously I can't have now! Cheese was offered as a topping so tried it and loved it so may try it when I make my next soup - would go well with asparagus soup Id imagine.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regrettably, I loathe the taste of sardines, even disguised in fish cakes. However you have inspired me to try again with extra mature Cheddar grated, and maybe some other strong-tasting spice. (Suggestions?)
Evening @Alexandra100. Have you tried fresh Cornish sardines during their short season from July to September? I much prefer fresh sardines when available to the ubiquitous canned ones.

That said, these fish cakes made with canned sardines and cheese are tasty in a completely different way. Btw, It doesn't have to be extra mature Cheddar. Ordinary bog standard Cheddar works well plus some flat-leaf parsley. If you want to add spice, I'd suggest paprika.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried cheese in soup in Belgium on my recent holiday - never had before except for in french onion soup which has cheese topped toast floating on it which obviously I can't have now! Cheese was offered as a topping so tried it and loved it so may try it when I make my next soup - would go well with asparagus soup Id imagine.
I think French onion soup is pretty good with just the cheese on top - never mind the crouton; especially if the soup is a bit spicy (either chili or smoked paprika and a good, strong cheddar).

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', (customary breadcrumbs omitted) garlic, stock and rosemary.
Vegetable tray bake using calabrese broccoli, cauliflower, sweet red peppers, leeks and onions drizzled with olive oil.
Carrots cut on the diagonal, onion slices and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, flat-leaf parsley and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts..
Water to wash down tablets.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lovely sunny day working in the garden. Planted mainly veggies and a few annuals which were still needed to fill spaces in a quite new garden.
Breakfast was a weird combination of toast with pesto, spinach scrambled egg and grilled shrimp in Marie rose type sauce
Lunch, a few broccoli and cauliflower pieces in ginger dressing, yogurt, seed and nut granola, lc zucchini bread and smear of sugar free apricot jam. Too much insulin was calculated so also had to finish a bottle of maple syrup a little later. I do love maple syrup though.
Dinner, crustless yellow and red pepper quiche made with a cube of mozzarella, bit of parmesan and mainly Gruyere. Greek salad but without fresh basil.
Can you tell I’m trying, quite successfully, to empty the fridge before going on a trip

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
11.00 - just had two eggs scrambled in butter. Should be easy enough on the stomach after no food to speak of for about 3 days. Feels a bit heavy on the tum but staying put so far. Feeling a bit stronger today, if a bit woozy. Also still hungry so there should be more food today - there's a salmon fillet in the fridge so will do something simple with that.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
11.00 - just had two eggs scrambled in butter. Should be easy enough on the stomach after no food to speak of for about 3 days. Feels a bit heavy on the tum but staying put so far. Feeling a bit stronger today, if a bit woozy. Also still hungry so there should be more food today - there's a salmon fillet in the fridge so will do something simple with that.
Hope it’s a better day for you

Lee Miller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
chia and linseed / flaxseed overnight breakfast with berries...lunch...vegan cheese sandwich and a whole mango...delicious

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all another gardening day today but too hot in middle of the day so did holiday planning indoors for a few hours! Getting back from an excellent holiday always makes me keen to plan the next one! Got first coat of decking oil on and will do next coat tomorrow morning before heat builds.
Breakfast hm kefir then two boiled eggs and LC buttered roll
Lunch some kimchi and a bit of grated cheese followed by a few strawberries and spoon of hm yoghurt
Dinner wild salmon and green beans then LC chocolate brownie
Sun going down now so off out to do some planting in garden.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B-Soft boiled egg and Edam ‘toast’
L- M&S fresh tuna kebab with chimichuri dressing. I overcooked it so it was a bit dry sadly. Chocolate chia pud.
D- T-bone steak,English asparagus and mushrooms. Glass of red wine.
Photo of the boiled egg simply because it made me so happy, it was perfectly cooked which is a very rare event.
IMG_1715362851.906470.jpg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all,

Another hot day in the garden! Got a few more jobs done. Still taking it easy, energy levels seem a bit low still.

8.30am
Glass kefir
3 slices bacon, 3 fried eggs
mushrooms

12.30pm
Coffee with cream
Sparkling mineral water
Pork puffs with chicken liver pate

6pm
Beef mince and cauliflower tossed in the bacon fat from breakfast
Greek yogurt and cream

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of Duckett's Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

Mid morning black filter coffee.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover walnut and mushroom roast.
Celery sticks, baby plum tomatoes and basil with lettuce cups for scooping and a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Prawns and brown shrimps.
Almonds, hazelnuts. and brazils.
Water to drink.

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad made with rocket, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions, Halkidiki olives and Romano peppers, dressed with olive oil, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, topped with pecan halves.
Water to wash down tablets.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: LC cheese, tomato and mushroom pizza with coleslaw.

2024-05-10 19.20.16.jpeg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Cheese and porchetta
Corned beef and tomato
Left over beef and cabbage.....cold!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: full fat greek yoghurt with blackberries. 2 slices hm lc soda bread. Cwc

Went to a NT garden which was lovely but i forgot there's nothing in their menu that lc. I found a nut bar in my bag and had 2 bites hubbys ice cream

So 3pm had last meal of the day. Lc pizza dough topped with ham, cheeses, buttered leeks (still leftover from Sunday!). A hm watermelon lolly

Fridge emptying nicely, but did pop to the shop for eggs. I simply cannot not have eggs in the house