I have 13.7mmol glucose reading

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
Not quite true though is it?

Please let the OP make his/her decisions regarding diet. The majority of posts so far have been positive constructive guidance and decent suggestions/advice. Telling someone they CANNOT eat refined carbs is nonsense. We can eat what we like, providing a bit of savvy is applied.

It may be beneficial for the OP to avoid regular, large quantities of refined carbs - but it's not imperative that they are excluded entirely - of course, unless they want to.

Agreed

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Potato vs Sweede Vs Parsnips - this is very very very "off kilter" but here goes, When I go for a meal to someone's home can we use turnip or parsnips instead of potatoes also can they be cooked in the same salted water, its just that my mum still makes sunday dinners for the family and want to make her life easier, so can these be used or what else could replace potatoes?

I just have extra veg - with a bit of butter on top - instead of potatoes. No extra work involved for the cook!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the first time I have used a codefree glucose reading, I have used it after lunch, it only came in the post an hour ago, so I had no earlier reading, anyway its 13.7mmo/l, from what I can gather that is pretty high, so how do I get it "down" I have not seen a diabetic nurse or been given any information only just diagnosed, so how do I reduce this reading and most importantly of all, how serious is this reading?
Hi Baldbilluk- please don't panic !! my Hubby first used his Codefree a little over 2 weeks ago and his BG was 17.6. He is now down to 10.3 (post meals) and has done this by a strict low carb diet plus a homeopathic blood sugar lowering remedy. Combination of the two seems to be working for him.

Best thing you can do is follow the dietary advice that you will get on this forum from other members and treat any diet advice that the nurse may give you with caution. They are not always that accurate. Hubby's told him that it was still okay to eat biscuits and bananas !!! Keep testing yourself, fasting and after meals to see what foods spike your levels and to see how they fluctuate throughout the day.

Basically what others have said have little rice, potato, bread, pasta etc in your diet and be careful of fruit-quite carby. It's not the sugar alone that you have to watch but the carb content of food but you will find lots of helpful advice on here. Good luck :) x

Reactions: Alison Campbell