I need some more information please

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Exercise, school holidays, sarcasm, bad tempered people.
I have had two fasting blood tests, both came back with what the nurse and doctor described as "borderline diabetes". I saw the nurse the first time, and her advice was to go on a low fat diet as I have high cholesterol too, but also wait and see what the second blood test says. I saw the doctor for the result of the second blood test, again she said it was borderline. If that was the end of it I wouldnt be so worried. But I have symptoms.

For the past 3 months I have been experiencing tingling in my toes and feet, I have paid 3 visits to GP about this, two were convinced it was due to fibromyalgia and increased my pain killers. My other symptoms which have been going on for a couple of months are very dry mouth and throat, thirst, being tired all the time (worse than usual, even taking fibromyalgia into account), skin itching, thrush,shortness of breath and occasionally feeling very wobbly or weak at the knees if I havent eaten.

I have cut out as much fat in my diet as I can, and cut down on sweet foods. But I still feel dreadful and I dont think I can take 6 months of this until the doctor tests me again. I have ordered one of those little blood test meters and it will arrive today. This afternoon I am seeing another doctor in the practice, one I dont usually see, for a second opinion on this. Is there anything I should ask him to do? Obviously I will describe all my symptoms. It is rather worrying for me.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I have had two fasting blood tests, both came back with what the nurse and doctor described as "borderline diabetes". I saw the nurse the first time, and her advice was to go on a low fat diet as I have high cholesterol too, but also wait and see what the second blood test says. I saw the doctor for the result of the second blood test, again she said it was borderline. If that was the end of it I wouldnt be so worried. But I have symptoms.

For the past 3 months I have been experiencing tingling in my toes and feet, I have paid 3 visits to GP about this, two were convinced it was due to fibromyalgia and increased my pain killers. My other symptoms which have been going on for a couple of months are very dry mouth and throat, thirst, being tired all the time (worse than usual, even taking fibromyalgia into account), skin itching, thrush,shortness of breath and occasionally feeling very wobbly or weak at the knees if I havent eaten.

I have cut out as much fat in my diet as I can, and cut down on sweet foods. But I still feel dreadful and I dont think I can take 6 months of this until the doctor tests me again. I have ordered one of those little blood test meters and it will arrive today. This afternoon I am seeing another doctor in the practice, one I dont usually see, for a second opinion on this. Is there anything I should ask him to do? Obviously I will describe all my symptoms. It is rather worrying for me.
You've done the right thing in getting a monitor. The Medical Practice in general won't bother to really help until your glucose readings are properly in the Diabetic range. You can however, greatly reduce your symptoms and reap health benefits by checking your own BG levels and keeping them in a safe range... some practitioners recommend a range of 4 mmol to 8 mmol .. some recommend 4 - 6 mmol. In any event reducing your sugar levels will help you greatly. Check out some of the other forum threads to see how diet can help you. A lot of people with or without Diabetes care for their blood glucose levels with diet & exercise alone. If you have cut out fat and still feel rough, try reducing carbohydrates instead. Don't wait around for your Doctor's , get onto the case now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You've done the right thing in getting a monitor. The Medical Practice in general won't bother to really help until your glucose readings are properly in the Diabetic range. You can however, greatly reduce your symptoms and reap health benefits by checking your own BG levels and keeping them in a safe range... some practitioners recommend a range of 4 mmol to 8 mmol .. some recommend 4 - 6 mmol. In any event reducing your sugar levels will help you greatly. Check out some of the other forum threads to see how diet can help you. A lot of people with or without Diabetes care for their blood glucose levels with diet & exercise alone. If you have cut out fat and still feel rough, try reducing carbohydrates instead. Don't wait around for your Doctor's , get onto the case now...

My results were 6.9 and 5.8, taken a week apart. He said there was no diagnosis here of diabetes, checked my BP (normal), weight said my BMI was 31 and I was obese and I should change my eating habits and try to lose weight. He offered to refer me to a local weight loss group but I have heard there is a lot of exercise when you go to weekly classes. This wont work for me as I have two double disc bulges with impingement and fibromyalgia. I do what I can, when I can, but obviously my reduced mobility have led to my weight gain. I will monitor my blood myself, I will go away and lose weight perhaps via weightwatchers or slimming world as I have done that successfully before. I realise it is, as you say above, pretty much in my hands and only I can change things.

If any other members have been to weightwatchers or slimming world with a diagnosis of diabetes and used the diet successfully, can you please let me know.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
A lot of people on this forum use a Low Carb Diet (LCHF=LowCarbHighFat) which naturally reduces blood glucose and has good all round health benefits. It also means that you cannot help but lose weight ... It suits a lot of people who don't just want to count calories and is easy to stick to. It will be difficult for you to exercise.! Don't let that worry you at this juncture. Keeping your BG levels in the safe zone of 4-8 will greatly reduce the symptoms you've been getting.
There is a LowCarb forum too if you want to check it out.

Reactions: 4 people

mpe

What were your actual results?

I have cut out as much fat in my diet as I can, and cut down on sweet foods.

You should be aware that the carbohydrates with the highest glucose content (amylose and amylopectin) are tasteless. So you may well still be eating lots of things which can raise your blood sugar. (Especially if you are, also, trying to eat "low fat".) Might do you far better to cut back on anything in the yellow (or white) sector of the "eatwell plate".

Reactions: 2 people

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As above 6.9 then 5.8 mpe.

Today i feel so dreadful, I didnt do my blood glucose first thing and no one is actually interested in it except me. I feel so bad I am annoyed at the doctor for not looking into things closer.

Anyway I just tested my blood glucose and its 12.1 (1 and 3/4 hrs after breakfast) that is why I feel so bad. When you feel really tired, washed out and basically ill and you have a high reading, is there anything you can do to make yourself feel better?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
If you want to avoid becoming diabetic, reduce your meter readings, lose weight, begin to feel better and get back in control then simply cut out anything with sugar in it and significantly cut down on (probably more than halve) starchy foods so rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, bread and other things containing flour. On any starchy food left swap to brown versions where you can. Replace what you've cut out with extra veg, meat, fish, eggs, cheese. Sugar and starchy foods both raise your blood sugars and some white versions of starchy foods are as bad if not worse than eating pure sugar. On things you buy from the shops look at the labels on the back (not the traffic lights). Find the number for "total carbohydrate per 100 grams". Be increasingly suspicious of any product that has more than 10 grams per 100 grams. Ignore the "of which sugars" number as that is pointless it is the total carbohydrate number that matters.

Good luck

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As above 6.9 then 5.8 mpe.

Today i feel so dreadful, I didnt do my blood glucose first thing and no one is actually interested in it except me. I feel so bad I am annoyed at the doctor for not looking into things closer.

Anyway I just tested my blood glucose and its 12.1 (1 and 3/4 hrs after breakfast) that is why I feel so bad. When you feel really tired, washed out and basically ill and you have a high reading, is there anything you can do to make yourself feel better?
The best solution would be to give LCHF a try. You may feel pants for a week or two, but give it a months and you will be a new person.

As soon as my bg goes above 8 I feel very strange. I was very tired with poor memory all autumn and winter, but since I started LCHF in a serious way I feel better than I have felt for years. The trick was to cut out all grain, for me that is, as I was already low-carbing before diagnosis.

Most people loose weight rapidly on LCHF as well, provided their thyroid works ok.

What is known to work well for getting high bg down is a brisk walk or any kind of gentle exercise.

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am trying to make changes gradually in advance of my appointment with nurse for referral to RIO (the local institute for obesity). I am trying where possible to swap things I used to eat (like chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc) for healthier snacks. It is quite confusing though. I do need help with my diet and that is why I am getting referred. Is it acceptable to snack on fruit and nuts?

I also find lunchtimes a challenge because I am used to having a sandwich and often dont feel like a salad, or feel like preparing one. I expect the answer is have wholemeal bread? But why am I allowed a piece of wholemeal bread and not white bread? Dont they have the same calories in? Or do I have to give up bread altogether? What about potatoes?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
LCHF!!!!! Everyone on the forum totally agrees with me, if they say they dont, they are just teasing

What a stupid remark to make.... Not everyone on this forum thinks a high fat diet is a good idea and I am one of them, time and time again people eating a high fat diet end up with disastrously high cholesterol levels.

Fat doesnt need to be avoided but should not IMHO be increased.
Oh and I am definitely NOT TEASING .

Please do not make statements like this as it assumes the consent of everyone on the forum.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to have a similar diet to you, Sid. Moderate carbs most days, lower some days, low GL so portion controlled, and about 40 to 50gms of fat at the moment.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I totally agree with low carb but I'm still not convinced "high" anything is good. Feel free to try and see how you get on. It's clear your current diet is not working so nothing to lose I guess.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It is actually low carb/healthy fat. E/g. Avocado, coconut oil, butter, cheese, olive oil eggs. Veg that grows above ground, cauli, broccoli, cabbage etc. And meat - chicken, beef, pork, fish. When you get your meter it will be easier to see what food works for you.
If you aren't diabetic yet and only pre-diabetic you have a very good chance of nipping it in the bud. Google 'the diet doctor', or 'blood sugar 101, Also google low carb diets, lots of good stuff to eat.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
What a stupid remark to make.... Not everyone on this forum thinks a high fat diet is a good idea and I am one of them, time and time again people eating a high fat diet end up with disastrously high cholesterol levels.

Fat doesnt need to be avoided but should not IMHO be increased.
Oh and I am definitely NOT TEASING .

Please do not make statements like this as it assumes the consent of everyone on the forum.

teaser

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don't understand why we shouldn't eat fat, good quality fats anyway. If you reduce a certain amount of carbs you need to put in something else instead. And fat is a very nice option! You don't get fat from eating fat, quite the contrary.

Say you usually eat 250 grams of carbs a day, and want to reduce the amount to 100. To keep things equal you need the 600 calories from somewhere, so why not fat? Or to reduce carbs from 250 to 50, you can add almost a decilitre of olive oil or 100 grams of butter every day, and be so much more healthy for it. This is still very simplified, as carbs tends to make you put on weight so on a low-carb diet you usually can have a lot more fat and still loose weight. It is mainly about hormones, not about energy in-energy out.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I really don't understand why we shouldn't eat fat, good quality fats anyway. If you reduce a certain amount of carbs you need to put in something else instead. And fat is a very nice option! You don't get fat from eating fat, quite the contrary.

Say you usually eat 250 grams of carbs a day, and want to reduce the amount to 100. To keep things equal you need the 600 calories from somewhere, so why not fat? Or to reduce carbs from 250 to 50, you can add almost a decilitre of olive oil or 100 grams of butter every day, and be so much more healthy for it. This is still very simplified, as carbs tends to make you put on weight so on a low-carb diet you usually can have a lot more fat and still loose weight. It is mainly about hormones, not about energy in-energy out.
I sort of agree. I am totally up for low carb but I just don't agree with the high fat part of the LCHF. I also agree fats are OK and I certainly don't steer clear. But there are other options, you can make up some of the lost calories with proteins and veg ? I think we agree in principle but I just think it's unfortunate that this particular diet regime is called LCHF. Perhaps low carb moderate fat or something similar lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem with a high protein diet is that it can mimic carbs in raising bg and thus insulin and IGF-1.

There is nothing sinister with fat. It is good for us, it is satiating and thus makes you feel full soon and you won´t get peckish. Apart from containing lots of stuff that is good for us!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, forgot the vegs! They contain some carbs, but rarley any fat so you get no energy to speak of from them.

A side salad with lettuce, onions and what other things you may have at hand, liberally sprinkled with parmesan and a dressing of olive oil, garlic, parsley and some vinegar, now that is nice.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm not saying high protein either lol ! I'm saying nothing "high". I'll withdraw now.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, well, you have to get some kind of energy from diet, you know, or you will starve to death eventually. I can´t see why fat should be avoided, but I have valid reasons to stay off carbs. And try to keep protein in the normal-low region to protect my kidneys.

I just wish someone could tell me what there is to be afraid of when it comes to fat.