I need some more information please

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yum! Have promised to make a sponge cake for the girls but didn't get round to it! Enjoy!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Maybe I just envy people like you who can eat as much as up to 120 grams of carbs per day?
I envy lots of people but it gets me nowhere. Eating carbs is not really inspirational. I do actually think our opinions are closer than you think and I really do admire your passion but sometimes it's better to meet halfway :)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What's low, and moderate and high to one person, is different to another person.....

I can go up high buildings (30 floors) my husband says he can too, but he can only go up to about 20 and always says I'll stay here!,

I see trees for wood, my friend sees the trees but sees the squirrels playing in them. I see vermin.

Our world Is seen differently by everybody..what we say is rarely interpreted identical to how we said it. I.e... I say to my hubby..how about a nice drink...he thinks I mean a glass of redwine, but I mean a posh coffee!!!

So please bear in mind everybody when talking about high or low fat, sugar, carbs, even bg levels we all interpret everything differently....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For newbies I think a good starting point is to chart a few of the common meals and snacks they were previously eating, with the amount of carbs, calories, fat, protein, fibre etc. This can help them decide where they are going wrong. Ten to one it is the carbs and sugar that are high due to large portions. Gradual but significant reductions can then be made.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I envy lots of people but it gets me nowhere. Eating carbs is not really inspirational. I do actually think our opinions are closer than you think and I really do admire your passion but sometimes it's better to meet halfway :)
I know, Sorry.

Thing is, it seems I don't need any meds at all if I stay off carbs, so I do a very low carb diet and haven't had this kind of energy for decades.

When you do very low carb it just doesn't work not to do high fat as well. Those of you who can choose do do more carbs, fine. I would love to be able to eat as much as 100 grams of carbs every day, but I can´t. I stick with LCHF and it works. I aim for a maximum of 50 grams of carbs, usually much lower. As I want to protect my kidneys I don't want to go high in protein so am left with high fat.

Being self-employed, I need the energy not only for the physical work but for mental energy as well and as I said earlier,I haven't seen this level of energy since I was in my thirties. It rocks.

I still don't know what kind of diabetes I have, but LCHF works for me at this stage.

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I am happy you have found a diet that works for you and I understand how frustrating it must be when others just don't get it but I actually do :)
Take care, Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

April5452

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My results were 6.9 and 5.8, taken a week apart. He said there was no diagnosis here of diabetes, checked my BP (normal), weight said my BMI was 31 and I was obese and I should change my eating habits and try to lose weight. He offered to refer me to a local weight loss group but I have heard there is a lot of exercise when you go to weekly classes. This wont work for me as I have two double disc bulges with impingement and fibromyalgia. I do what I can, when I can, but obviously my reduced mobility have led to my weight gain. I will monitor my blood myself, I will go away and lose weight perhaps via weightwatchers or slimming world as I have done that successfully before. I realise it is, as you say above, pretty much in my hands and only I can change things.

If any other members have been to weightwatchers or slimming world with a diagnosis of diabetes and used the diet successfully, can you please let me know.

Its my husband thats been diabetic for many years now. Just wanted to say to alysonm, that I went to Slimmingworld, many years ago, although Im not diabetic, there were quite a few in our class. The eating plans are healthy ones, and there is a plan with no carbs. I did this one and lost just under 5 stone in 18 months. You can go talk to the consultant before handing over any money, sit in class and listen what goes on. There is no exercise undertaken in any of these classes. If you can get your Dr to refer you, I think you are entitled to a 12 week course, dont quote me on that, it may have finished now. But do ask the Dr and or the consultant. Hope this info helps you.

Darbs

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had two fasting blood tests, both came back with what the nurse and doctor described as "borderline diabetes". I saw the nurse the first time, and her advice was to go on a low fat diet as I have high cholesterol too, but also wait and see what the second blood test says. I saw the doctor for the result of the second blood test, again she said it was borderline. If that was the end of it I wouldnt be so worried. But I have symptoms.

For the past 3 months I have been experiencing tingling in my toes and feet, I have paid 3 visits to GP about this, two were convinced it was due to fibromyalgia and increased my pain killers. My other symptoms which have been going on for a couple of months are very dry mouth and throat, thirst, being tired all the time (worse than usual, even taking fibromyalgia into account), skin itching, thrush,shortness of breath and occasionally feeling very wobbly or weak at the knees if I havent eaten.

I have cut out as much fat in my diet as I can, and cut down on sweet foods. But I still feel dreadful and I dont think I can take 6 months of this until the doctor tests me again. I have ordered one of those little blood test meters and it will arrive today. This afternoon I am seeing another doctor in the practice, one I dont usually see, for a second opinion on this. Is there anything I should ask him to do? Obviously I will describe all my symptoms. It is rather worrying for me.

I have similar symptoms - itching (though I have a pancreas problems -!/ often have elevated liver enzymes so could be that) - had oral thrush since January and can't get rid of it. Been testing my sugars and getting around 8.3 a lot after eating (I don't eat proper meals either due to pancreas and pain so that's after a bowl of porridge).