I want to get back riding but how can I?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Basically last time I rode was not since I fell off my bike back In Spain when I was 9 or 10yrs old. (I didn't get hit or anything the brakes suddenly stopped working and went over the handle bars.I've still got the scar from that day but luckily ie'a not that visible. Just since then I've been put of riding but I know if I don't get back on soon (it's like the saying when you fall off a horse you should get back on or you won't later on well I didn't do that with my bike) But I do want to get on but being in England and living In a busy town my mum doesn't want me too. mainly because there's not many cycle lanes and because of idiot drivers. But the odd thing is she let's my older brother ride around (He's only 2 years older than me). It feels so different as in the other countries I lived in holland, Singapore and Spain my family biked alot (Especially in holland and Spain). Plus I sometimes hate relying on public transport especially the it's a sunny day
I know the rules of the road. Like your technically a veichle on the road. E.g you have to follow most road signs, traffic lights you can't bike on pavements etc... Obviously first I would get a helmet as my current ones too small and also I would never ride without one (Hate people that don't) and I would never ride in the dark (As that's a lot more dangerous and plus you need lights).
Any tips on convincing my parents?

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would write down what you have put here and give it to your parents. I would make it like bullet points ie I know the rules of the road etc etc.

If you can show them you are mature enough to think this through you may just stand a chance. However, cycling in the UK is definately much more different to the other countries you have visited. You could also mention to your parents you would consider a cycling proficiency test here in England to prove to them you are capable.

And public transport not so bad when you have some headphones and some good music to listen to ;)

Reactions: Sable_Jan

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically last time I rode was not since I fell off my bike back In Spain when I was 9 or 10yrs old. (I didn't get hit or anything the brakes suddenly stopped working and went over the handle bars.I've still got the scar from that day but luckily ie'a not that visible. Just since then I've been put of riding but I know if I don't get back on soon (it's like the saying when you fall off a horse you should get back on or you won't later on well I didn't do that with my bike) But I do want to get on but being in England and living In a busy town my mum doesn't want me too. mainly because there's not many cycle lanes and because of idiot drivers. But the odd thing is she let's my older brother ride around (He's only 2 years older than me). It feels so different as in the other countries I lived in holland, Singapore and Spain my family biked alot (Especially in holland and Spain). Plus I sometimes hate relying on public transport especially the it's a sunny day
I know the rules of the road. Like your technically a veichle on the road. E.g you have to follow most road signs, traffic lights you can't bike on pavements etc... Obviously first I would get a helmet as my current ones too small and also I would never ride without one (Hate people that don't) and I would never ride in the dark (As that's a lot more dangerous and plus you need lights).
Any tips on convincing my parents?
Bite the bullet and do it, you're 18 years old and no longer a child.

If you feel that you may need tuition on bike handling or a basic highway code refresher, I'm sure you can find a local group who could tutor you to get you to a standard fit for the roads.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would write down what you have put here and give it to your parents. I would make it like bullet points ie I know the rules of the road etc etc.

If you can show them you are mature enough to think this through you may just stand a chance. However, cycling in the UK is definately much more different to the other countries you have visited. You could also mention to your parents you would consider a cycling proficiency test here in England to prove to them you are capable.

And public transport not so bad when you have some headphones and some good music to listen to ;)
True what a proficiency test mean?

ps what I mean about public transport it's just annoying when there's cancels or delays etc or bus stop is closed.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://bikeability.org.uk/

Have a look there

Ah see my problem with public transport is I dont like people and noise so I block it out with my headphones. I seem to attract all sorts of people wanting to talk to me :banghead::bag:

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
https://bikeability.org.uk/

Have a look there

Ah see my problem with public transport is I dont like people and noise so I block it out with my headphones. I seem to attract all sorts of people wanting to talk to me :banghead::bag:
The website looks like it's for school children. Not adults I'm 18.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Also before I would bike in town I would just recap myself around my neighbourhood

On biking you should always:
Wear a helmet
Keep to left hand side (UK)
Ride following traffic flow
Give enough space to you, the curve and veichles
Look around/out/ahead for vehicles, other riders, pedestrians, other hazards etc..
Obey signs like stop, give way, traffic lights etc...
Always look out (left, rights, behind)
Give hand signals when turning
Don't overtake long vehicles, e.g buses, Lorries etc...
Always obey police (If they ask you to stop or pull you over) even if you haven't done anything wrong.
Anything else I should know or is this all?

Last edited:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also before I would bike in town I would just recap myself around my neighbourhood

On biking you should always:
Wear a helmet
Keep to left hand side (UK)
Ride following traffic flow
Give enough space to you, the curve and veichles
Look around/out/ahead for vehicles, other riders, pedestrians, other hazards etc..
Obey signs like stop, give way, traffic lights etc...
Always look out (left, rights, behind)
Give hand signals when turning
Don't overtake long vehicles, e.g buses, Lorries etc...
Always obey police (If they ask you to stop or pull you over) even if you haven't done anything wrong.
Anything else I should know or is this all?
It's not strictly a rule, but when I get on my bike (which, I confess, I don't do very much nowadays) the main thing that I am thinking is "Always act as if everybody else on the road, in cars, vans, on bikes or whatever, is a complete idiot and is about to do something really stupid that may endanger you". Mostly they won't be idiots but there are always one or two out there that put everyone else at risk and you need to give them plenty of space.

The other thing I'd say is that you should be aware of the fact that big vehicles, in particular trucks and lorries, can't always see you if you're on a bike, particularly if you are on their inside, and that it can be extremely dangerous to try and "undertake" them in slow moving traffic. As a rule, I don't do this at all and I'm also mindful of the fact that if I can't see their wing mirrors, they can't see me. Make yourself as visible as possible: wear a bright gilet or body band. Yes; I know this doesn't look cool, but it beats being injured or killed because someone didn't see you.

I realise it's not as simple as this, particularly if you're still living at home, but as you say, you are eighteen and an adult under UK law: your mum can't stop you doing whatever you want. It sounds to me as if she is a bit over-protective; as the father of two kids who are now in their early twenties, I understand this. I can tell you that I went through agonies when they were teenagers out on their bikes and I still feel a bit nervous when they clamber into cars and drive off, or are driven off by their mates, but that's parenthood for you, and maybe your mum needs to think on.....

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
apologies I thought you were still in school. Please forgive me :shy:
It's fine.
I'm going into my 3rd year of college in September. (Just finished 2nd year of college in June)

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's not strictly a rule, but when I get on my bike (which, I confess, I don't do very much nowadays) the main thing that I am thinking is "Always act as if everybody else on the road, in cars, vans, on bikes or whatever, is a complete idiot and is about to do something really stupid that may endanger you". Mostly they won't be idiots but there are always one or two out there that put everyone else at risk and you need to give them plenty of space.

The other thing I'd say is that you should be aware of the fact that big vehicles, in particular trucks and lorries, can't always see you if you're on a bike, particularly if you are on their inside, and that it can be extremely dangerous to try and "undertake" them in slow moving traffic. As a rule, I don't do this at all and I'm also mindful of the fact that if I can't see their wing mirrors, they can't see me. Make yourself as visible as possible: wear a bright gilet or body band. Yes; I know this doesn't look cool, but it beats being injured or killed because someone didn't see you.

I realise it's not as simple as this, particularly if you're still living at home, but as you say, you are eighteen and an adult under UK law: your mum can't stop you doing whatever you want. It sounds to me as if she is a bit over-protective; as the father of two kids who are now in their early twenties, I understand this. I can tell you that I went through agonies when they were teenagers out on their bikes and I still feel a bit nervous when they clamber into cars and drive off, or are driven off by their mates, but that's parenthood for you, and maybe your mum needs to think on.....

Yeah. I know about the mirrors and laws. (I always put protective gear first e.g bike helmet. I did say I wouldn't start riding till I have a helmet that fits me as my current ones too small. I hate seeing people riding without helmets.( people that do wear helmet I see quite a few people wear yellow bike jackets in the day is that the same thing as gilet?)

ps just checking bike lights are only required at night right? not in the daytime. Just checking as I don't have any on my bike. (But we have loads of spares) So even though i will never ride in the dark is still a good idea to attach lights or should I not?

Last edited:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah. I know about the mirrors and laws. (I always put protective gear first e.g bike helmet. I did say I wouldn't start riding till I have a helmet that fits me as my current ones too small. I hate seeing people riding without helmets.( people that do wear helmet I see quite a few people wear yellow bike jackets in the day is that the same thing as gilet?)

Yes - a bright reflective waistcoat. We always insisted on our kids wearing them, and we also insisted on them wearing helmets - and set an example by wearing them ourselves. I didn't wear one when I was a kid, but to be honest, you never saw them in the shops or on the street in those days (it was a while ago :eek:). I'm really glad that you realise the wrong sized helmet is as bad as no helmet at all.

I always thought they weren't essential until a friend went head over heels off the front of her bike. She wasn't wearing a helmet and she got quite badly concussed. Her face was also a mess because she more or less landed on it, on the road, and she has a nasty and permanent scar on her forehead. That reminds me of why she came off the bike: she had a carrier bag hanging from her handlebars, it caught in the spokes of her front wheel, the bike did a somersault and she came off, onto the road. Nasty, although it could have been even worse.

She wears a helmet now - and has fitted panniers to put her shopping in.....

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ps just checking bike lights are only required at night right? not in the daytime. Just checking as I don't have any on my bike. (But we have loads of spares) So even though i will never ride in the dark is still a good idea to attach lights or should I not?

I'm not sure what the law says about lights, though I suspect it's compulsory to use them on a bike, in the same way as it is in a car when it gets dark, and possibly when it's raining (dipped headlights are compulsory in the rain in the UK). On a couple of occasions in the twilight or the dark, I have nearly pulled out in front of a cyclist coming down the hill that I live on, with no lights on and often wearing dark clothing - I just haven't seen them, and my eyesight is fine.

Even if you never intend to ride at night, there's always the possibility that you'll end up away from home in the dark because you've been delayed for some reason or other so I'd say always have lights on your bike. Just to take one example, yesterday evening there was heavy rain and it became very dark, at a time when there's normally several hours of daylight left at this time of year. Lights on a bike are as much about being seen, as they are about seeing, and you'd have needed them then.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not sure what the law says about lights, though I suspect it's compulsory to use them on a bike, in the same way as it is in a car when it gets dark, and possibly when it's raining (dipped headlights are compulsory in the rain in the UK). On a couple of occasions in the twilight or the dark, I have nearly pulled out in front of a cyclist coming down the hill that I live on, with no lights on and often wearing dark clothing - I just haven't seen them, and my eyesight is fine.

Even if you never intend to ride at night, there's always the possibility that you'll end up away from home in the dark because you've been delayed for some reason or other so I'd say always have lights on your bike. Just to take one example, yesterday evening there was heavy rain and it became very dark, at a time when there's normally several hours of daylight left at this time of year. Lights on a bike are as much about being seen, as they are about seeing, and you'd have needed them then.
Good point as even on days when there's no storms and it's just raining, gloomy day it seems to become darker anyway. I guess it also prevents your from getting stopped by police, If it suddenly gets dark and you don't have lights. As I've read on Highway Code. "at night or dawn and dusk cyclists must have their white front and red rear lights lit. Their bicycles must also be fitted with a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors" (Googled it)

(My bike already had pedal reflectors when it was bought but the other's I would need to find and fix onto (as I said we have loads of spares)

Reactions: jay hay-char

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey anyone know about these things
I'm trying to set my bike up so that way I can proff I'm serious that I want to get back riding when my mum comes back
1. How do you put air in tires. I found pump. I know your spossed to unscrew the cap on valve it but it won't let me do that ? So how?
2. How do you attach bike lights to the bike? .
Ps this is all I need to do as my brakes and chain is working.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes - a bright reflective waistcoat. We always insisted on our kids wearing them, and we also insisted on them wearing helmets - and set an example by wearing them ourselves. I didn't wear one when I was a kid, but to be honest, you never saw them in the shops or on the street in those days (it was a while ago :eek:). I'm really glad that you realise the wrong sized helmet is as bad as no helmet at all.

I always thought they weren't essential until a friend went head over heels off the front of her bike. She wasn't wearing a helmet and she got quite badly concussed. Her face was also a mess because she more or less landed on it, on the road, and she has a nasty and permanent scar on her forehead. That reminds me of why she came off the bike: she had a carrier bag hanging from her handlebars, it caught in the spokes of her front wheel, the bike did a somersault and she came off, onto the road. Nasty, although it could have been even worse.

She wears a helmet now - and has fitted panniers to put her shopping in.....
Yeah I know one of my friends said they fell off when they were young over handlebars an broke there arm (they were wearing a helmet) . I was lucky I didn't hurt myself in Spain when fell off just have a scar on my face and knee that's not that visible. I've fallen off three times that time and 2 times off a horse and not hurt myself.
I know what you mean In any sport that Suggests you wear a helmet your more likely to get injured if you don't. I personally think it should be a part of the law to wear a bike helmet like how it's the law to wear a motorbike/moped helmet. I think teenagers should also wear helmet when skateboarding or rollerblading especially if there doing tricks
Ps do u know the answer to previous questions in previous post? Also in any sport if helmets are too big or small or can't do them up there useless.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lulu9101112 . Without actually being there to work on your bike I would suggest your best course of action would be to find a local cycle shop. Any good shop will be able and happy to provide a kind of MOT and general service on your bike.
This should include everything brakes, wheels,lights etc.
Sorry can't be of more assistance.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps do u know the answer to previous questions in previous post? Also in any sport if helmets are too big or small or can't do them up there useless.

Usually I take my bike to a local bike shop when things need fixing, so I probably can't be a massive help :). There are two types of tyre valve on a bike - one long and thin, where you have to unscrew it part way which releases the valve and allows you to pump up the tyre, the other shorter and thicker, where you just take off the valve cap and screw the pump fitting on. Just to complicate matters, both use different pump fittings (though they're both widely available) so you need to work out whether you have a Schrader valve or a Presta valve. The video below shows you the difference. As to the cap, if it really won't come off it may be stuck through having been left unused for yonks. If so, try a squirt of WD 40 or 3 in 1 Oil, leave it for a while, and see if that loosens it up.

As to fitting the lights, there are many, many different types. If you can find out the name of the lamps that you have, it might be worth doing a search on YouTube for an instruction video, because there will almost certainly be one. HTH :)

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Lulu9101112 . Without actually being there to work on your bike I would suggest your best course of action would be to find a local cycle shop. Any good shop will be
Usually I take my bike to a local bike shop when things need fixing, so I probably can't be a massive help :). There are two types of tyre valve on a bike - one long and thin, where you have to unscrew it part way which releases the valve and allows you to pump up the tyre, the other shorter and thicker, where you just take off the valve cap and screw the pump fitting on. Just to complicate matters, both use different pump fittings (though they're both widely available) so you need to work out whether you have a Schrader valve or a Presta valve. The video below shows you the difference. As to the cap, if it really won't come off it may be stuck through having been left unused for yonks. If so, try a squirt of WD 40 or 3 in 1 Oil, leave it for a while, and see if that loosens it up.

As to fitting the lights, there are many, many different types. If you can find out the name of the lamps that you have, it might be worth doing a search on YouTube for an instruction video, because there will almost certainly be one. HTH :)
ok thanks. I just remembered with the lights my brother fit them to his and my mums bikes himself so I could ask him when he's next free. But thanks for the tips on tires