I want to get back riding but how can I?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Usually I take my bike to a local bike shop when things need fixing, so I probably can't be a massive help :). There are two types of tyre valve on a bike - one long and thin, where you have to unscrew it part way which releases the valve and allows you to pump up the tyre, the other shorter and thicker, where you just take off the valve cap and screw the pump fitting on. Just to complicate matters, both use different pump fittings (though they're both widely available) so you need to work out whether you have a Schrader valve or a Presta valve. The video below shows you the difference. As to the cap, if it really won't come off it may be stuck through having been left unused for yonks. If so, try a squirt of WD 40 or 3 in 1 Oil, leave it for a while, and see if that loosens it up.

As to fitting the lights, there are many, many different types. If you can find out the name of the lamps that you have, it might be worth doing a search on YouTube for an instruction video, because there will almost certainly be one. HTH :)
Quick edit: turns out before j was trying to unscrew the wrong way it worked the other way the cap came off (Schroeder vavle) but can't figure out where end of pump is)

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Usually I take my bike to a local bike shop when things need fixing, so I probably can't be a massive help :). There are two types of tyre valve on a bike - one long and thin, where you have to unscrew it part way which releases the valve and allows you to pump up the tyre, the other shorter and thicker, where you just take off the valve cap and screw the pump fitting on. Just to complicate matters, both use different pump fittings (though they're both widely available) so you need to work out whether you have a Schrader valve or a Presta valve. The video below shows you the difference. As to the cap, if it really won't come off it may be stuck through having been left unused for yonks. If so, try a squirt of WD 40 or 3 in 1 Oil, leave it for a while, and see if that loosens it up.

As to fitting the lights, there are many, many different types. If you can find out the name of the lamps that you have, it might be worth doing a search on YouTube for an instruction video, because there will almost certainly be one. HTH :)
Found the end of the pump and manage to pump it
Thanks the video about pumping helped but the only thing in the video is that as there's no pressure gauge on the pump I have it only gives example for feeling mountain and road bikes and my bikes a hybrid so how would you know

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks this worked my mums thinking about it as won't know till sunday or till i have the right size helmet.

ps talking about bikes in our area. Bicycles seem to get stolen often. My brother got his bike stolen twice even though it was locked up and has never got it back since. (he's been through two different bikes). Is there a way of preventing this happening or if it did happen anyway to get it back.?
Another thing I'm thinking about.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Randomly I found my brothers bike helmet that got to small for him but it fits me (just had to adjust straps)

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's hopefully worked my mums going to double check it's all working at the weekend and let me test it around the park near me if it is (Luckily my bikes hybrid so it's fine for road or mountain trails/grassy areas) So I've got to wait till weekend

ps also just realised my brothers helmet was broken (strap Buckles fell off) So I do need a new bike helmet anyway.

S

Sable_Jan

Basically last time I rode was not since I fell off my bike back In Spain when I was 9 or 10yrs old. (I didn't get hit or anything the brakes suddenly stopped working and went over the handle bars.I've still got the scar from that day but luckily ie'a not that visible. Just since then I've been put of riding but I know if I don't get back on soon (it's like the saying when you fall off a horse you should get back on or you won't later on well I didn't do that with my bike) But I do want to get on but being in England and living In a busy town my mum doesn't want me too. mainly because there's not many cycle lanes and because of idiot drivers. But the odd thing is she let's my older brother ride around (He's only 2 years older than me). It feels so different as in the other countries I lived in holland, Singapore and Spain my family biked alot (Especially in holland and Spain). Plus I sometimes hate relying on public transport especially the it's a sunny day
I know the rules of the road. Like your technically a veichle on the road. E.g you have to follow most road signs, traffic lights you can't bike on pavements etc... Obviously first I would get a helmet as my current ones too small and also I would never ride without one (Hate people that don't) and I would never ride in the dark (As that's a lot more dangerous and plus you need lights).
Any tips on convincing my parents?
I'd imagine your bike is rather too small now too :D
Why don't you just have a go on your brothers.....?
Strange your brakes should jam on...usually when bike brakes fail you just can't stop at all.....and BOTH at once ...back and front....that's unfortunate.....

Reactions: chris lowe
S

Sable_Jan

Yeah. I know about the mirrors and laws. (I always put protective gear first e.g bike helmet. I did say I wouldn't start riding till I have a helmet that fits me as my current ones too small. I hate seeing people riding without helmets.( people that do wear helmet I see quite a few people wear yellow bike jackets in the day is that the same thing as gilet?)

ps just checking bike lights are only required at night right? not in the daytime. Just checking as I don't have any on my bike. (But we have loads of spares) So even though i will never ride in the dark is still a good idea to attach lights or should I not?
a gilet is another name for a waistcoat.....usually a hi-viz one for riding bikes so not necessarily yellow but a dayglo colour with a reflective band around the middle

S

Sable_Jan

Hey anyone know about these things
I'm trying to set my bike up so that way I can proff I'm serious that I want to get back riding when my mum comes back
1. How do you put air in tires. I found pump. I know your spossed to unscrew the cap on valve it but it won't let me do that ? So how?
2. How do you attach bike lights to the bike? .
Ps this is all I need to do as my brakes and chain is working.
I'm sure your brother can tell you all you need to know including how to pump up your tyres......maybe even do them for you if you ask nicely

S

Sable_Jan

Quick edit: turns out before j was trying to unscrew the wrong way it worked the other way the cap came off (Schroeder vavle) but can't figure out where end of pump is)
the flexible part to attach to the wheel is usually slotted inside of the handle of the pump

S

Sable_Jan

Found the end of the pump and manage to pump it
Thanks the video about pumping helped but the only thing in the video is that as there's no pressure gauge on the pump I have it only gives example for feeling mountain and road bikes and my bikes a hybrid so how would you know
hybrid means its a cross between the two.....

Reactions: Lulu9101112
C

chris lowe

Yes - a bright reflective waistcoat. We always insisted on our kids wearing them, and we also insisted on them wearing helmets - and set an example by wearing them ourselves. I didn't wear one when I was a kid, but to be honest, you never saw them in the shops or on the street in those days (it was a while ago :eek:). I'm really glad that you realise the wrong sized helmet is as bad as no helmet at all.

I always thought they weren't essential until a friend went head over heels off the front of her bike. She wasn't wearing a helmet and she got quite badly concussed. Her face was also a mess because she more or less landed on it, on the road, and she has a nasty and permanent scar on her forehead. That reminds me of why she came off the bike: she had a carrier bag hanging from her handlebars, it caught in the spokes of her front wheel, the bike did a somersault and she came off, onto the road. Nasty, although it could have been even worse.

She wears a helmet now - and has fitted panniers to put her shopping in.....

Friend of mine had a freak bike accident. Riding down a residential road, cat jumped off a garden wall, straight across road bumping into her & knocked her off the bike, she suffered brain hemorrhage & died 3 days later. Not wearing a helmet.

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Friend of mine had a freak bike accident. Riding down a residential road, cat jumped off a garden wall, straight across road bumping into her & knocked her off the bike, she suffered brain hemorrhage & died 3 days later. Not wearing a helmet.

That @chris lowe is awful
Words fail me x

S

Sable_Jan

That's dreadful....really does show how important a helmet can be.....

Just happy being me

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'd imagine your bike is rather too small now too :D
Why don't you just have a go on your brothers.....?
Strange your brakes should jam on...usually when bike brakes fail you just can't stop at all.....and BOTH at once ...back and front....that's unfortunate.....
No we got a different bike when we came into UK as old one was too small and broken and it still fits. Also my brothers coming round tomorrow to fix tires as they need replacing as their were punctures in them.

@chris lowe Sorry to hear that there. I don't get why it's not the law to wear bike helmets. Since bicycles are veichles on the road and it's the law for Motorcycles/moped to wear a helmet. Why isn't it the law to wear helmets when on a bike. (I personally hate not seeing kids/teens wearing helmets like today in town there were teens doing bike wheelies in middle of road where buses stop and drive and this teens had no helmets/)

Also my mum still thinks it's dangerous to ride on roads and says I can only ride in the park near me when my bikes working and after getting helmet. Should I make a presentation of bike rules. to try to convince her more.?

Last edited:

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So bassically I've been riding my bike in the park for 1hr-1hr 30 minuites recently but annoyingly my mum still doesn't let me ride on roads. (This is kinda annoying because like I said when I go back to college I want to ride my bike somedays to college and also some friends houses are up the road from me and the road by the park. I Just find like I'm missing out as some of my college friends are allowed to ride their bikes on the road and so is my older brother (he just got a new bike)
ps my dad's fine with it I asked on Skype and my dad likes riding bikes. but annoyingly because he lives in a different country he can't convince my mum.

ps also like say when I'm older if I get a job with animals (Which is what I want to do) since most of these jobs are in the countryside and can technically only get there by bike and would save me a lot of money of if I was to drive.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My granddad, who I never knew, died at the age of 53, when he was cycling in Scotland and ploughed into a flock of sheep and then became ill and died of meningitis :wideyed:

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My granddad, who I never knew, died at the age of 53, when he was cycling in Scotland and ploughed into a flock of sheep and then became ill and died of meningitis :wideyed:
blimey sorry to here that.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just quick random question. Like how there's a law on T1 diabetics being In the right blood sugar range for cars/motorbikes but since bicycles are considered vehicles would it be the same with cyclists? (obviously it's always good to test before you cycle and make sure it's in right range as it's exercise).