Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Incidentally, I think people - GPs and diabetics especially - should make a point of NOT calling so-called 'breakfast cereals' cereals: they almost always contain cereal PLUS sugar - Conflakes included. (Shredded Wheat and Shreddies are notable exceptions.)

And a shocking amount of sugar too!!!! I thought Shreddies do contain sugar although I've not tried them, however you could also add traditional porridge to your list of no added sugar cereals, the OP of this thread SGP recommends porridge in the dietary advice he gives to his type 2 patients.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
And ... that programme on HF v HS was ridiculous. A missed opportunity. However, the deadly combination of sugar with fat was revealing and yes, that is modern processed food in a nutshell. Don't diss the sausages - I love my high protein content sausages from my local butcher. People might read all sausages as processed, unfortunately.
Asda 97% meat 3% carb. Even better Lidl 97.5% meat 2.5 % carb and Lidl - 2 packs for £3.50! :D

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Next week I'm in London for a photoshoot connected to my low carb research .I have already done one this week and was quite pleased with a shot of me dropping slices of bread and a pack of pasta into a dustbin .Cannot really do the same again- ideas please!
How about a picture of low fat foods on a table with bags of white sugar - the amount in the food and the caption low fat but high sugar! :D

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Asda 97% meat 3% carb. Even better Lidl 97.5% meat 2.5 % carb and Lidl - 2 packs for £3.50! :D

Black Farmer & Debbie & Andrews (supermarket brands) have a high meat content too.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rye grains couldn't be healthier for me: they allow me to SAFELY keep my HbA1C at a healthy 27mmol/mol.

Incidentally, I think people - GPs and diabetics especially - should make a point of NOT calling so-called 'breakfast cereals' cereals: they almost always contain cereal PLUS sugar - Conflakes included. (Shredded Wheat and Shreddies are notable exceptions.)

Shreddies contain 73.7g of carbs per 100g!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly off tangent, but wishing to chime in about 'healthy' breakfast choices.
I used to regularly have porridge made with Scottish oats, soy milk, and honey.
Healthy, I thought. So why would I end up spending half of the morning in a lethargic stupor?
These days I mostly eat whole scrambled eggs with spinach, chopped walnuts, and pumpkin seeds.
Now I figuratively (and almost literally) bounce with energy. The difference is astounding.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I'm not sure how many grammes of carbohydrate are contained within 100g of rye bread. (Quite a few, I should think.)

But without rye bread, I could not safely maintain a healthy HbA1C of 27 mmol/mol, or 4.6%.

Well, okay, spelt bread is just as good. But unlike rye, spelt is quite expensive.

In marked contrast to rye and spelt, the carbohydrates of wheat (so that includes those of both Shredded Wheat and Mini Shredded Wheats) are very rapidly assimilated.

I'm sorry for the earlier mistake: Shreddies do indeed contain a stack of sugar. I should have written 'Mini Shredded Wheats'. (I think I've got the name right, but I'm not sure even now.)

Last edited by a moderator:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Actually my professed ignorance was rhetorical. But thanks very much anyway, ItalianKitten.

I simply do not need to count carbohydrates. And if I were newly diagnosed as being diabetic, then the recommended manner of diabetes management - in which one is enjoined to constantly make calculations about what one is eating, and about the insulin one takes - would entirely put me off bothering to look after myself.

I'm sure there are many young diabetics who go that way. (Doubtless quite a few of them will feature, albeit briefly, on this very forum.) And I feel pretty sure that very many of them will be young men.

Last edited by a moderator:

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Besides showing that bread (both brown and white - not much difference) and pasta as well as most cereals will turn into glucose than most people would believe, it would be great to tackle the fat fear in this country, so including butter, lard and coconut oil would be great showing good fats, besides olive oil.

Reactions: 2 people