I'm 1.7. Again

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, as a diet controlled T2 who has never had a hypo, you have helped me to better understand what a hypo feels like. Thank for posting.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, as a diet controlled T2 who has never had a hypo, you have helped me to better understand what a hypo feels like. Thank for posting.
That's the problem. I don't know what it feels like either. All I know is that I can't remember a thing. My mum has told be that I refused to take my glucose. The Dr said that my paramedics said I went comatose. I can't remember any of this. Looking back on my messages this was not and is not me at all. And that upsets me

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've deleted s fre sf my last few post becsuuse I am going to ICU. 1.6 again. I guess I won't be sneking out for that smoke

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've deleted s fre sf my last few post becsuuse I am going to ICU. 1.6 again. I guess I won't be sneking out for that smoke

Hi @plantae ,

I’ve taken the measure to temporarily lock your topic from further distracting replies so you can focus on treating that hypo.

Best wishes. Hope to see you back within normal BG parameters soon..

[Edit, Topic now open & merged with a previous topic covering this issue to avoid confusion.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Lainie71 and zand

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Very scary for you to go through this... I hope the hospital will help you to sort out your hypo issues.

Type 2 Diabetes here - I have experienced hypo couple of time. But haven't gotten too low as your 1.7.

Take it easy on yourself.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very scary for you to go through this... I hope the hospital will help you to sort out your hypo issues.

Type 2 Diabetes here - I have experienced hypo couple of time. But haven't gotten too low as your 1.7.

They were going to move me to ICU a few hours ago but gave me glucose and pain killers and decided not to

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm ok now. No pain. BSL 6.5.. Going to sneak out for a smoke so I must be feeling better

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was 1.1 by the time the ambulance arrived. I think 1.7 must have been the start?

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was 1.1 by the time the ambulance arrived. I think 1.7 must have been the start?

Ooh very low, it was the title on your thread for 1.7 where I first saw 1.7.

Take it easy today, let hope your level doesn't crash down again today while you're at hospital.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh very low, it was the title on your thread for 1.7 where I first saw 1.7.

Take it easy today, let hope your level doesn't crash down again today while you're at hospital.
They were going to put me in ICU about 3 hours ago. BSL went really low (can't remember how low it went) and pain was very high. The nurses are amazing though and TWO doctors saw me within 20 or so minutes, at the same time, they came together. They did what they had to do and I'm not in ICU

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I've been eating normally. Insulin injections (edit: bolus) calculated and done by myself not nurses, although they're checking the calculations. No pain, BSL in the sixes all day. Blood tests came back and I do not have pancreatitis (lipase normal). The abdo pain, which I thought felt like pancreatitis, can apparently be caused by blood sugars as well but I've had no pain since last night. I did ring my mum at 5:30AM thinking it was 5:30PM though hahaha. She wasn't impressed

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I've been eating normally. Insulin injections (edit: bolus) calculated and done by myself not nurses, although they're checking the calculations. No pain, BSL in the sixes all day. Blood tests came back and I do not have pancreatitis (lipase normal). The abdo pain, which I thought felt like pancreatitis, can apparently be caused by blood sugars as well but I've had no pain since last night. I did ring my mum at 5:30AM thinking it was 5:30PM though hahaha. She wasn't impressed

Poor Mum. Just as well Mums love their boys, no matter what.

She'll forgive you.

Great news you don't have another bout of pancreatitis, and I hope you have moved onto a more positive trajectory.

Have you had any discussions about the rapidity of your drops, and your Libre not helping you out at all? I know many on here had decades without the Libre tupe technology, but sometimes having tech that doesn't work is worse than no tech at all. And for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting your Libre be withdrawn.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surprisingly the libre is working really well as far as readings go. The readings pretty much match finger prick tests. It's just that the alarms don't go off. I don't know why. So by the time I realise I'm low (when the alarm goes off) I'm really low and pretty much can't think. Looking at the graph now, it's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like I dropped in 5 minutes. Certainly less than 10. There's no time to do anything even if the alarms did go off. Maybe the alarms don't go off because I drop so quickly? This all usually happens when I'm I asleep as well which doesn't help. I'll stick with the libre unless the drs swap me to something else because I think it's saved my life twice. Also today I am not on a fixed dose of bolus insulin; I bolus depending on what I eat. That seems to have helped because I've been 6.6, 6.5, 6.8 all day

Edit: my mum has forgiven me :D I really thought it was 5:30 PM but it was 5:30 AM. Can't do anything but laugh

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surprisingly the libre is working really well as far as readings go. The readings pretty much match finger prick tests. It's just that the alarms don't go off. I don't know why. So by the time I realise I'm low (when the alarm goes off) I'm really low and pretty much can't think. Looking at the graph now, it's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like I dropped in 5 minutes. Certainly less than 10. There's no time to do anything even if the alarms did go off. Maybe the alarms don't go off because I drop so quickly? This all usually happens when I'm I asleep as well which doesn't help. I'll stick with the libre unless the drs swap me to something else because I think it's saved my life twice. Also today I am not on a fixed dose of bolus insulin; I bolus depending on what I eat. That seems to have helped because I've been 6.6, 6.5, 6.8 all day

Edit: my mum has forgiven me :D I really thought it was 5:30 PM but it was 5:30 AM. Can't do anything but laugh

I know it's no good to you at this moment, but unless things have changed, you can download the raw data from your Libre into a spreadsheet, so that you can examine in much more granular detail.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe the alarms don't go off because I drop so quickly?
That is very well possible.
Would it be an idea to set the alarm at 5.5 for a while to see if that helps? Aiming to stay above 6 for a while is much better than the horrible hypos you've been having, and it might also help with your hypo awareness.
People tend to lose hypo awareness if they go low a lot, keeping a bit higher can help it return.
Would be a lot better if you felt your hypos before you're so low that your brain doesn't function anymore.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could they try something like an artificial pancreas which administers insulin and glucagon ? that might help reduce the time criticality of intervention ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could they try something like an artificial pancreas which administers insulin and glucagon ? that might help reduce the time criticality of intervention ...
The only one I know of, the Inreda, is not widely available yet.
And even that one is dependent on a glucose sensor so if you drop quicker than the sensor can sense it will act too late.
And there is the question on whether glucagon will work in a T3C.

I really hope things will improve now you've changed from fixed doses based on meals you don't normally eat to adjusting your doses depending on meals and current BG, @plantae !

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
And there is the question on whether glucagon will work in a T3C.
My limited understanding is that glucagon works fine to make the liver produce glycogen (sugar), but a problem that some T3Cs (not necessarily plantae) have is that just like their pancreases don't produce enough insulin, they don't produce enough glucagon either. That can contribute to the problems that some T3s have with controlling their levels.

(And I often get the terms glycogen and glucagon mixed up. You'd really think that glucagon ought to be the one that's sugar, not the glycogen :))

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is very well possible.
Would it be an idea to set the alarm at 5.5 for a while to see if that helps? Aiming to stay above 6 for a while is much better than the horrible hypos you've been having, and it might also help with your hypo awareness.
People tend to lose hypo awareness if they go low a lot, keeping a bit higher can help it return.
Would be a lot better if you felt your hypos before you're so low that your brain doesn't function anymore.
That's a very good idea
My diabetic nurse said the same thing which is why she has reduced my lantus to keep me higher, in the short term at least, so I can maybe become hypo aware. She thinks that, on balance, it's better for me to "high" for a while for exactly the reason you state. I honestly don't feel hypos at all. I'm 8.8 right now. That's ok

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My limited understanding is that glucagon works fine to make the liver produce glycogen (sugar), but a problem that some T3Cs (not necessarily plantae) have is that just like their pancreases don't produce enough insulin, they don't produce enough glucagon either. That can contribute to the problems that some T3s have with controlling their levels.

(And I often get the terms glycogen and glucagon mixed up. You'd really think that glucagon ought to be the one that's sugar, not the glycogen :))
You were typing this as I was typing my comment :) My doctors tell me that my pancreas doesn't produce much insulin at all anymore which is not surprising because most of it's gone. I don't know where glucagon comes from but my liver doesn't respond to it anyway it seems, maybe because of novorapid suppressing it (supressing the glucagon I mean, they don't really know why. The other possibility is that my liver is glycogen depleted. It's all speculation). They did heaps of tests in hospital. I was sent home last night and the first thing I did was accidentally inject novorapid instead of lantus. lol. Great start. Back in hospital for the night but I'm home again now. Surprisingly my blood sugars went UP, not down after the accidental dose. Makes no sense