I'm 1.7. Again

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I often get the terms glycogen and glucagon mixed up. You'd really think that glucagon ought to be the one that's sugar, not the glycogen :))
glUcagon has a U which comes before the Y in glYcogen.

So you need the u before the y.
The hormone to make the polysaccharide glucose storage unit

I use lots of weird things like this for anatomy and physiology.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
glUcagon has a U which comes before the Y in glYcogen.

So you need the u before the y.
The hormone to make the polysaccharide glucose storage unit

I use lots of weird things like this for anatomy and physiology.
I remember it a different way. I rememeber it as agon meaning that glucose is gone (gon, gone, get it?), so glucagon is something that's produced when glucose is gone (gon). Whatever works I guess :) (-ag- is the important part and means, roughly, to produce, so gluc -ag- on means to produce glucose but that's too hard to rememeber)

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well this can't be good
Screenshot 2023-02-01 005547.jpg

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it’s good that you felt it and caught it. Did the alarm work this time?
Yes the alarm worked but it went off at 3.9. It's currently set at 5.5 (edit: which coincidentally I'm sitting at right now). Edit, no I'm not. 5.2

Screenshot 2023-02-01 014357.jpg

Last edited:

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At least I didn't overcompensate this time. If I go to 9 I don't care, but I won't. That'll level out out in the mid sixes or low sevens. I doubt I'll sleep though. Edit I reckon these are all Lantus lows! The timing is too consistent for them to be novorapid, I think

Screenshot 2023-02-01 020824.jpg

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are your team adjusting your lantus? If you think that the lows are caused by it then that is an obvious area to look at....

Edited to add, congrats on staving off the hypo but you must be getting exhausted with all of these hypos. Once your insulin dose is right, your life should improve drastically.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I remember it a different way. I rememeber it as agon meaning that glucose is gone (gon, gone, get it?), so glucagon is something that's produced when glucose is gone (gon). Whatever works I guess :) (-ag- is the important part and means, roughly, to produce, so gluc -ag- on means to produce glucose but that's too hard to rememeber)
It's incredible how much Ancient Greek there is just in this single post in this thread.
Glukos meant Sweet
Ago I set in motion, lead, drive
Geno I beget, generate, create

The Greeks had no distinction between 'u' and 'y'.

Glucagon = set sweetness (ie Glucose) in motion
Glycogen = Generate sweetness
So unhelpfully the 2 words have almost identical meanings. I think your and @HSSS 's mnemonics are a great way to separate the 2!

Whatever, I hope life becomes considerably easier soon!

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are your team adjusting your lantus? If you think that the lows are caused by it then that is an obvious area to look at....

Edited to add, congrats on staving off the hypo but you must be getting exhausted with all of these hypos. Once your insulin dose is right, your life should improve drastically.
Sorry, I deleted my last post. I don't know what I'm pressing. Here it is again.
They've reduced my lantus by 2 units.
Basically I didn't handle the second low well at all. Had too much (1 litre of orange juice and 3 teaspoons of sugar. No, honey, why did I type sugar. I'm probably going low again). Went to sleep and was 14.1 a few hours later.

The 4.1 is when I last posted, but countour said I was lower than that. After the alarm went off I had 42 billion carbs (I was very thirsty) too quickly (I think). I slept for most of the day except when my alarm went off at 9:30'ish. I handled my first low much better. I had too much too quickly because I panicked

Screenshot 2023-02-02 004530.jpg

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Overtreating a low is very common even in long time diabetics who never had such horrible hypos as you've been having.
Ending up at 14.1 isn't the end of the world, it takes time to learn what works best.