I'm impressed NHS. You outdid yourself!

MedicAdam

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
But are there the resources to deliver this?
Not currently no - there’s around 300,000 T1 patients and this looks like it will be restricted to children and pregnant women.

My experience of local diabetes care has been poor. Chronic understaffing and therefore they are not meeting the bare minimum service level as per the NICE guidance.

It’s been around 6 months now since diagnosis and as his uncle and an advanced nurse practitioner, I attended and felt it was too long of a session and information overload!

The guidance said he should have a session a month for 6 months then review to reduce it. He’s had a virtual call with his diabetic health care assistance twice.

MedicAdam

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
But are there the resources to deliver this?
Also! The waiting list is arbitrary- in our area it’s at least 12 months but he is just on a list, there is no clinical priority/triage to sort those who are more unstable and unwell first and then risk stratify the rest on the list to fit them in appropriately- a first come first served approach to health care means those at higher risk may wait longer.

The whole policy will have created a stampede and the existing staffing levels won’t be able to cope with all the new training and eligible patients.

Glad they are something but it’s going to overload an already collapsing system.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am ignoring this completely, the next time I let any surgeon near me my life would need to be in immediate danger, I like my broken pancreas just as it is lol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am ignoring this completely, the next time I let any surgeon near me my life would need to be in immediate danger, I like my broken pancreas just as it is lol
Artificial pancreas has nothing to do with surgeons, it's a type of insulin pump and CGM system.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Artificial pancreas has nothing to do with surgeons, it's a type of insulin pump and CGM system.
I'm probably being pedantic, but it slightly annoys me when they describe it as an articificial pancreas.

Though it can supply insulin on demand there is still the issue that the insulin supplied takes a while to act and stays in your system for up to 5 hours, which is not the same as the insulin produced by the pancreas, which acts almost immediately and has a half life of only 5 minutes

(Plus the pancreas does a lot more than just produce insulin).

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Not currently no - there’s around 300,000 T1 patients and this looks like it will be restricted to children and pregnant women.

My experience of local diabetes care has been poor. Chronic understaffing and therefore they are not meeting the bare minimum service level as per the NICE guidance.

It’s been around 6 months now since diagnosis and as his uncle and an advanced nurse practitioner, I attended and felt it was too long of a session and information overload!

The guidance said he should have a session a month for 6 months then review to reduce it. He’s had a virtual call with his diabetic health care assistance twice.
I have top level of care, could not have been any better. But NHS staffing getting difficult.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm probably being pedantic, but it slightly annoys me when they describe it as an articificial pancreas.

Though it can supply insulin on demand there is still the issue that the insulin supplied takes a while to act and stays in your system for up to 5 hours, which is not the same as the insulin produced by the pancreas, which acts almost immediately and has a half life of only 5 minutes

(Plus the pancreas does a lot more than just produce insulin).
I’ve heard the term “artificial pancreas” decades ago…

As in, “if you are a good diabetic. You might get a pump..”

I don’t feel it’s the right description either…

• Agree
Reactions: ElenaP

sg004

I’ve heard the term “artificial pancreas” decades ago…

As in, “if you are a good diabetic. You might get a pump..”

I don’t feel it’s the right description either…

No chance, I’m in my 47th year of being a “good diabetic” and my chances of getting off the increasingly intolerable MDI therapy are next to zero.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
No chance, I’m in my 47th year of being a “good diabetic” and my chances of getting off the increasingly intolerable MDI therapy are next to zero.
Hi @sg004 Please don't give up on getting a pump. HbA1c levels are only one of the criteria. Hypo awareness, dawn phenomenon, demonstrated comfort using tech and your willingness to put significant effort in learning to manage a pump also count. Do you use a CGM? If not please ask for one (your GP can prescribe Libre 2 or Dexcom 1). These provide so much more insight into your diabetes control than fingerpricks. Also pragmatically, these help with just getting experience inserting and wearing devices on your body, identifying skin issues with adhesives, how to monitor sensor outputs via phone or dedicated receivers and importantly ability to share the data with your diabetes clinic team. You may find my earlier post of interest -