I'm not eating enough

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I haven't been diagnosed yet. But I'm being cautious. According to my calculations ill be eating around 1000 calories a day. My tdee is something like 2000. This is including snacking on 2 pieces of fruit per day. My lunch is very light (2 bits of ryvita with cottage cheese) has anyone got some good alternative for lunch? Preferably low in carbs. Or should I not worry too much about this? For the record i feel quite full at the moment. But I'm getting 1300 calories roughly now but im going to change my porridge and stop the tinned soup for something else.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Lawrencepa Personally, I'd get the full results from your doctor first so you know what you are - or aren't - dealing with.

You don't have to cut out carbs completely. Low carb means up to 130g carbs a day. Some Type 2s can manage more carbs than others, as an example.

But first, find out exactly what your results were, I'd say.

Reactions: Freema

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Lawrencepa - welcome to the forum :)

It's easy to live by the numbers, and to fall into an obsession and harder to know what our bodies are telling us. Quite simply, if your body isn't hungry, you don't need to eat. If you worry that your calorie intake is a touch low try:

- Avoiding low-fat options
- Dressing salads or cooking with olive oil
- Using butter instead of marg / spread
- Increasing your meat (or other protein) intake.

If it helps, here's a list of what me and my 12 year old ate today. To note, we felt super-full between meals and felt no need to snack. I try to hit our "main 3" (what we call them - it's just how I guide our meal choices) which are meat, dairy and veg with every meal. I'll only allow carbs (the thin pastry base of the crustless quiche, eg) if we're otherwise having a high-fat meal (as it helps to delay the BG spike).

Breakfast: Cheese omelettes with a few slices of bacon. Then a few raspberries and double cream.

Lunch: Celery and cucumber sticks with cheese and chive dip, some slices of ham.

Dinner: Huge bowl of salad (lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, sweetcorn, honey and mustard dressing) gherkhins and pickled silverskin onions, crustless quiche, a bit of salami. 2 "dollops" of low-carb ice-cream.

I haven't totted it up, but the only carby things there are the quiche base, the ice-cream and the base levels of carbs in the veggies. If I had to guess, I'd say that's 50 - 60g carbs for the whole day.

If we need to snack, we'll happily tuck into Peperami or Babybels, or whatever cooked meat we have in the fridge at the time. Mostly, we'll drink water if we feel the need to snack, wait ten minutes and see how we feel after. Most often we find that we were thirsty and didn't really need to eat at all, but if we do fancy a snack (because they're not bad!) it'll be cheese or meat. Sometimes a pepper which we'll eat like an apple :D

It's also worth noting that I'm almost incapable of cooking at the moment, so all food has to be fast, easy an convenient, so either out of the fridge or out of the oven. However, there are lots and lots of people here who are incredibly talented at coming up with delicious low-carb recipes!

P.S. Can I ask, are you low-carbing for a reason? Your profile says you don't have a diagnosis - is that correct? It's cool if you're asking because you want to low-carb anyway, I'm just curious and wonder if you shouldn't - as @azure says - wait until you've spoken to your doctor before making such huge changes. They might surprise you and have some good advice, and they'll at least want to log your diet change in your notes.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Lawrencepa - welcome to the forum :)

It's easy to live by the numbers, and to fall into an obsession and harder to know what our bodies are telling us. Quite simply, if your body isn't hungry, you don't need to eat. If you worry that your calorie intake is a touch low try:

- Avoiding low-fat options
- Dressing salads or cooking with olive oil
- Using butter instead of marg / spread
- Increasing your meat (or other protein) intake.

If it helps, here's a list of what me and my 12 year old ate today. To note, we felt super-full between meals and felt no need to snack. I try to hit our "main 3" (what we call them - it's just how I guide our meal choices) which are meat, dairy and veg with every meal. I'll only allow carbs (the thin pastry base of the crustless quiche, eg) if we're otherwise having a high-fat meal (as it helps to delay the BG spike).

Breakfast: Cheese omelettes with a few slices of bacon. Then a few raspberries and double cream.

Lunch: Celery and cucumber sticks with cheese and chive dip, some slices of ham.

Dinner: Huge bowl of salad (lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, sweetcorn, honey and mustard dressing) gherkhins and pickled silverskin onions, crustless quiche, a bit of salami. 2 "dollops" of low-carb ice-cream.

I haven't totted it up, but the only carby things there are the quiche base, the ice-cream and the base levels of carbs in the veggies. If I had to guess, I'd say that's 50 - 60g carbs for the whole day.

If we need to snack, we'll happily tuck into Peperami or Babybels, or whatever cooked meat we have in the fridge at the time. Mostly, we'll drink water if we feel the need to snack, wait ten minutes and see how we feel after. Most often we find that we were thirsty and didn't really need to eat at all, but if we do fancy a snack (because they're not bad!) it'll be cheese or meat. Sometimes a pepper which we'll eat like an apple :D

It's also worth noting that I'm almost incapable of cooking at the moment, so all food has to be fast, easy an convenient, so either out of the fridge or out of the oven. However, there are lots and lots of people here who are incredibly talented at coming up with delicious low-carb recipes!

P.S. Can I ask, are you low-carbing for a reason? Your profile says you don't have a diagnosis - is that correct? It's cool if you're asking because you want to low-carb anyway, I'm just curious and wonder if you shouldn't - as @azure says - wait until you've spoken to your doctor before making such huge changes. They might surprise you and have some good advice, and they'll at least want to log your diet change in your notes.
It would be purely to get my blood sugar down. I think my blood sugar was 8.8 fasting. But my GTT was normal. Im seeing my doctor to talk about it and I'm not 100% those were the figures. I just assumed having high blood sugar I should do something about it? If I don't do low carb what alternatives are there

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you have another appointment booked? 8.8 is high for fasting, but you need to know what type of diabetes you have. Type 2 yes low carb makes sense, type 1 and medication needed.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you have another appointment booked? 8.8 is high for fasting, but you need to know what type of diabetes you have. Type 2 yes low carb makes sense, type 1 and medication needed.
Yeah I have a telephone appointment on Monday. I will ask him what I should eat. Any other advice on what to ask? I need to get those figures clarified because i think the receptionist gave me the figures for the GTT and not the first blood test I had possibly

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ask for a print out of your results. But on the phone get as a minimum your Hba1c - that is a rough average of your blood sugars over the last three months. Ask whether they did tests to find out which type of diabetes you have.
Ask what formal education they have in the area (You may or may not decide to go on a course, you may get enough support here).

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ask for a print out of your results. But on the phone get as a minimum your Hba1c - that is a rough average of your blood sugars over the last three months. Ask whether they did tests to find out which type of diabetes you have.
Ask what formal education they have in the area (You may or may not decide to go on a course, you may get enough support here).
I just went and got a print out from my doctors. Apparently my initial blood test was only 5.6 only slightly out of range. And on GTT it was 5 and then 8.8. so not half as bad as I thought ( the receptionist obviously gave me the wrong information). Still it did give me quite a scare. What can I do to prevent diabetes happening? I don't want it EVER

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I just went and got a print out from my doctors. Apparently my initial blood test was only 5.6 only slightly out of range. And on GTT it was 5 and then 8.8. so not half as bad as I thought ( the receptionist obviously gave me the wrong information). Still it did give me quite a scare. What can I do to prevent diabetes happening? I don't want it EVER
If it's Type 1 (genetic) and runs in your family, there might not be anything you can do other than hope you don't have the gene mutations - but having said that try to stay in as good physical condition as possible and remain as active as you can - this, I suspect, will help you weather the condition much better if it ever does happen- I'm convinced that this approach has helped me over the years. I'm 55 and put most of my non-diabetic friends to shame when it comes to recreational activities so you will benefit either way as you age :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

How long was it to the 8.8 reading?

A quick search suggests that you should be under 10 after 1 hour, under 8.6 after 2 hours, under 7.8 after 3 hours. However that is only one search result and opinions may vary.

I haven't searched back through your short posting history, but what makes you think you are likely to have or get diabetes?

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How long was it to the 8.8 reading?

A quick search suggests that you should be under 10 after 1 hour, under 8.6 after 2 hours, under 7.8 after 3 hours. However that is only one search result and opinions may vary.

I haven't searched back through your short posting history, but what makes you think you are likely to have or get diabetes?

I've just found out Im prediabetic today. For the record it was 8.8 after 2 hours. I'm going to get a dietician . Any other tips?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, the first thing to know is that, yes, diabetes can be serious and disruptive, but it's also a disease of self-management and self-awarenenss. Many of us have found it to be a partly positive thing in that it's made us clean up our eating habits, get fitter and pay more attention to our health.

To put it bluntly, while no-one ever wants a diagnosis of diabetes, there are two ways of dealing with it when it happens: bull-by-the-horns pro-activity or indifference. I'd start choosing which one you want to be now - I have a suspicion that, once you're over the initial shock, you're going to be just fine with this.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've just found out Im prediabetic today. For the record it was 8.8 after 2 hours. I'm going to get a dietician . Any other tips?

Welcome to our world.:)

Can I respectfully suggest that although you consult a Dietitian you come back to this group to check the advice?

In other countries (notable South Africa and Australia) the Dietitian community has been ganging up on people who do not toe the party line of "healthy carbohydrates" and in the UK the Eat Well plate doesn't match what a lot of us on here eat.

So at a minimum it could be wise to listen to the people on the ground eating the food as well as the official advisers.

Reactions: SockFiddler