I'm on the break of giving up :(

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's clear from your posts that you are not happy with your control, and that you feel things need to change in order to give you good control. However, as mentioned by others, looking for a 'quick fix' is not going to solve the problem. An insulin pump may be either a help or hindrance to you. some people can't stand them, others see them as an essential part of their control (apparently 1 in 7 type 1 diabetics in Germany use an insulin pump). The truth is, either using a pump or injecting is going to require work on your part to get the good control that you so clearly want.

The first thing you need to do is get as educated as possible. I have been type 1 for 24 years, and I only feel like I have had a solid understanding of my condition for the past 12 months. The better you understand something, the more effectively you can manage it. There are very good books out there which can help with this. My personal saviour has been Dr Richard Bernstein's Complete Diabetes Solution. It does not hold your hand and use soothing words to cover the implications of poorly controlled diabetes, but the author sure as hell knows what he is talking about. He is a type 1 diabetic himself, and is now in his 80s and in excellent health. Others use the book Think Like A Pancreas, and swear by it.

The most useful tool you have is your blood testing meter. It tells you how well you are managing things, so use it as often as possible. At the very least you should test before every meal, and I would suggest testing a couple of hours after eating as well, to see whether your insulin is matching your food intake. Do not hide from your results. If you are getting lots of highs (and/or lows), you can either bury your head in the sand, or think 'ok, what can I do to change this?'

I will outline the problem I used to have, because it may well ring true with you as well; I was hungry. All the time. I have never been overweight, but I sure ate like I was. I could eat a medium dominos pizza, have half a pot of Ben and Jerry's, and still be starving afterwards. I would graze throughout the day, in addition to large meals. I decided everything was fine, as long as I injected a ton of insulin. Needless to say, my control was terrible. I wouldn't admit it even to myself, but I loved being hypo. It meant I could eat whatever I wanted. I would get 10 packs of fruit pastilles with my weekly shop, and they would be gone after 2 or 3 days to treat hypos. I didn't really care about improving because my test results all came back ok. But I was causing the worst type of damage possible; everything I was doing was hurting my wife. When I had a hypo, she had to deal with it. When she had to call the paramedics, and wait in tears while my jaw was locked too tightly to eat during a fit, I was causing her agony. It was after we got married that I realised I really had to change.

For me, the solution has been a low carbohydrate diet. At the beginning of the year I decided to go on it, and I could not have been more depressed about the idea. Giving up bread, sweets, pizza and everything else I loved felt like the cure was worse than the illness. But I decided to try it for my wife. And I am so, so glad that I did. I enjoy food so much more now than I ever did before, and it satisfies me. I can eat breakfast, and not need to have anything else until 5 hours later when I have lunch. And my control? it's never been better. My last HBA1C was 39 (5.7 in old money). Hypos are a rarity now. I eat eggs, cheese, meat and lots of vegetables. I still have a big sweet tooth, which I satisfy by baking with Stevia. It's a natural sweetener with no sugar whatsoever. I have also learned to bake in order to make the new foods I had always ignored. At the start, i could not even make an omelette. Now I make frittatas, omelettes, low carb cakes and muffins (I use ground almonds instead of flour) and so much more.

Take it from me, getting control of your diabetes is an amazing feeling. And don't be afraid to reach out to your friends and family. Explain what good and bad blood test results are. Don't be afraid to share the bad as well as the good. And never be afraid to take advice. If my wife wanted to see my test results I used to get angry, and tell her to mind her own business, because I was ashamed of them. Once I started trying to take control, I realised I was not letting anyone down any more. We started working together to bring things under control. Tell people when things are going well, or when you have slipped. Sharing your journey with others makes it easier to stay on the straight and narrow.

Always remember that you can take control. You can do it. You. Can. Do It. Be proactive. And be proud as hell when your results improve. Shout it from the roof tops. Definitely post about it here. On this forum the rules about smugness just don't apply. I like nothing better than to read about someone who has taken control, punched diabetes in the face and come out on top.

Best of luck, and keep posting about your progress.

Reactions: 14 people

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apology accepted (by me anyway) Dashing, but really , doing that sort of thing is not how to get people to help you. But, I'm sure you really know that.

I hope your appointment today goes well. Come back and let us know how it goes. Provided you do mean it, there are people who will help you work through the steps you need to take to get a pump, but only if you're committed and truthful in your dealings with them.

(I bet I sound like your mother. :))
my sugars a bit high this morning the doctor is now sending me to counselling and said he will not let me have my bloods done there, i now got a nurse appointment at my hospital for next week and i guess they'll do it there :D

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my sugars a bit high this morning the doctor is now sending me to counselling and said he will not let me have my bloods done there, i now got a nurse appointment at my hospital for next week and i guess they'll do it there :D

Those sounds like giant leaps forward. Of course, it means you have to follow through on it all now. :)

It looks like the door is ajar; you have to decide to walk through it and close it behind you.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those sounds like giant leaps forward. Of course, it means you have to follow through on it all now. :)

It looks like the door is ajar; you have to decide to walk through it and close it behind you.

Good luck!

but i wanted hbc1 results :( owell i guess patience is a vital thing but i'm on more medication now =.= i guess i need to stop being a fool and not panic over nurse/doctor appointments.

My pulse was 120bpm when i was at the doctors but it went down to 99 and now is okay i think time to relax :L

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but i wanted hbc1 results :( owell i guess patience is a vital thing but i'm on more medication now =.= i guess i need to stop being a fool and not panic over nurse/doctor appointments.

My pulse was 120bpm when i was at the doctors but it went down to 99 and now is okay i think time to relax :L

Whilst I can appreciate you wanting an HbA1c done, NOW, you have achieved so many things on your wish list - hospital referral, help with your anxiety (counselling). I can be a trifle impatient myself, but I think if you use the time between now and your hospital appointment (when is it?), you may have the chance to impact positively on the results you get there; and that's all grist to the mill, if you are committed to pursuing a pump.

The harsh reality of diabetes is that it is, to a large extent, a self-service condition, where without question, we get out results mainly linked to what we put in. Obviously there are stark exceptions to that statement. I understand that. But, I think, in the main, it holds up.

Reactions: 8 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Why wont he let you have your bloods done at the docs? are you talking Hba1c or others? do you have your yearly tests done and what were your last results?

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why wont he let you have your bloods done at the docs? are you talking Hba1c or others? do you have your yearly tests done and what were your last results?
i haven't had a yearly one for ages haha! and i'm not sure :( i guess it's next wensday so i can wait till then :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your gp will suffer as he will not be meeting his targets of testing diabetics etc...so take some glee from that!!

A lot of hospitals nowadays have the fingerpricker to test your hba1c and can give results immediately.

If your hosp don't have this facility then you should explain your gp's attitude to your DSN. As he should also be checking your cholesterol and blood counts and urine as a minimum. Your DSN or certainly your consultant can be asked to drop a note to your GP requesting "that he supports your improved attitude towards your diabetes and therefore arrange the tests that are required by QOF and DES and NICE gudelines....."

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your gp will suffer as he will not be meeting his targets of testing diabetics etc...so take some glee from that!!

A lot of hospitals nowadays have the fingerpricker to test your hba1c and can give results immediately.

If your hosp don't have this facility then you should explain your gp's attitude to your DSN. As he should also be checking your cholesterol and blood counts and urine as a minimum. Your DSN or certainly your consultant can be asked to drop a note to your GP requesting "that he supports your improved attitude towards your diabetes and therefore arrange the tests that are required by QOF and DES and NICE gudelines....."

i guess so i'll have a word with them next week, i went there with heart palpitations and trumors and they said i suffer panic disorder i had it befor so i guess i'll just have to wait and see if these tabs make me better but with work i feel like i just can't bare it :(