In defence of low carb subs

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not pretending that low carb subs taste as good as the thing they are meant to replace but as someone who is only now (ashamedly) learning to make things from scratch they have been the difference between me sticking or not sticking to my low carb diet. I have a cupboard shelf full of almond flour,coconut oil and all sorts of keto friendly ingredients which I am slowly learning how to work with but in the mean time my freezer drawer full of subs allows me to eat more or less what my family is eating on a regular basis.
Last Tuesday I had pizza for the first time in months because I bought pizza bases. I regularly use wraps for tortillas. I use sub pasta at least fortnightly and heylo bread probably every other day. I keep a bag of portioned up cakes and treats so if I need something after dinner with a spot of cream or yogurt it is there. Breakfast on work days is either ketorama panda porridge or keto hana granola in yogurt. I have learned to make my own porridge with chia seeds and flaxseed but I think theirs better resembles the real deal.
Is it expensive? Yes but I truly believe I spend less money on food than I did pre-diagnosis. For example as a family Friday night was take out night I'm now much more likely to have an omelette so there is a saving. The mangoes and grapes I had for breakfast every day added up to more than the current porridge and granola.
Everything I buy either has a decent use by date or can live in the freezer so I think long term there is no increased cost.
As a newbie on the forum last year I would sometimes come across posts talking about how rubbish or expensive the subs were and wonder if I should bother. So while aknowledging that I have an ultimate goal of being able to make it all for myself, subs are okay. If skill or knowledge or time or mobility limit you or if you emotionally need a pizza or a slice of bread, its whatever works to keep these little numbers on your meter low.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Subs are lifesavers for some including me and I’m a trained chef as is my hubby. We are no longer in the cheffing world but yes I love a good sub, I use low carb bread, the pizza bases, I don’t bake or make sweet stuff very often because I don’t have a sweet tooth but I’m sure if I did my freezer would be full of those kind of treats too.

I don’t think of them as subs but more as alternatives, my chefs palate will never accept “subs” as the “same as…” but they are very good alternatives e.g no matter what you do to a cauliflower it’s still a cauliflower at the end of the day and it’s never gonna taste the same as say mashed potatoes but they are still very good alternatives.

I really applaud you and the way you’ve taken on this new way of cooking and adapting to using alternatives as you’ve said many times you were never a cook. You’ve grown so much in confidence in making things for yourself. Keep doing what you’re doing it works for you and there’s no shame in the search for an easy way out sometimes,

I put my hand high in the air and say yes I would find it very easy personally to make everything from scratch but I’m not adverse to the odd low carb M&S ready meal curry or some ready to cook stuff from a supermarket- Tesco have some low enough carb chicken dishes & my butcher does some fresh stir fry’s that are low enough in carbs for me. Also my local Indian does a nice tandoori mixed grill & a foo yung from the Chinese also fits the bill, not the stuff I would have eaten pre T2 but very much good alternatives

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really applaud you and the way you’ve taken on this new way of cooking and adapting to using alternatives as you’ve said many times you were never a cook. You’ve grown so much in confidence in making things for yourself. Keep doing what you’re doing it works for you and there’s no shame in the search for an easy way out sometimes,
Tears. Thank you

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Subs are lifesavers for some including me and I’m a trained chef as is my hubby. We are no longer in the cheffing world but yes I love a good sub, I use low carb bread, the pizza bases, I don’t bake or make sweet stuff very often because I don’t have a sweet tooth but I’m sure if I did my freezer would be full of those kind of treats too.

I don’t think of them as subs but more as alternatives, my chefs palate will never accept “subs” as the “same as…” but they are very good alternatives e.g no matter what you do to a cauliflower it’s still a cauliflower at the end of the day and it’s never gonna taste the same as say mashed potatoes but they are still very good alternatives.

I put my hand high in the air and say yes I would find it very easy personally to make everything from scratch but I’m not adverse to the odd low carb M&S ready meal curry or some ready to cook stuff from a supermarket- Tesco have some low enough carb chicken dishes & my butcher does some fresh stir fry’s that are low enough in carbs for me. Also my local Indian does a nice tandoori mixed grill & a foo yung from the Chinese also fits the bill, not the stuff I would have eaten pre T2 but very much good alternatives
I have to disagree with you about the cauliflower (if I may). I steam my florets in my £10 steamer from argos and then turn them into my processer, where I add butter, cream cheese, a little garlic powder sometimes too, and it turns into the most delicious 'mash'. I served some to a visitor without saying that it wasn't potato and he was completely fooled! x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not pretending that low carb subs taste as good as the thing they are meant to replace but as someone who is only now (ashamedly) learning to make things from scratch they have been the difference between me sticking or not sticking to my low carb diet. I have a cupboard shelf full of almond flour,coconut oil and all sorts of keto friendly ingredients which I am slowly learning how to work with but in the mean time my freezer drawer full of subs allows me to eat more or less what my family is eating on a regular basis.
Last Tuesday I had pizza for the first time in months because I bought pizza bases. I regularly use wraps for tortillas. I use sub pasta at least fortnightly and heylo bread probably every other day. I keep a bag of portioned up cakes and treats so if I need something after dinner with a spot of cream or yogurt it is there. Breakfast on work days is either ketorama panda porridge or keto hana granola in yogurt. I have learned to make my own porridge with chia seeds and flaxseed but I think theirs better resembles the real deal.
Is it expensive? Yes but I truly believe I spend less money on food than I did pre-diagnosis. For example as a family Friday night was take out night I'm now much more likely to have an omelette so there is a saving. The mangoes and grapes I had for breakfast every day added up to more than the current porridge and granola.
Everything I buy either has a decent use by date or can live in the freezer so I think long term there is no increased cost.
As a newbie on the forum last year I would sometimes come across posts talking about how rubbish or expensive the subs were and wonder if I should bother. So while aknowledging that I have an ultimate goal of being able to make it all for myself, subs are okay. If skill or knowledge or time or mobility limit you or if you emotionally need a pizza or a slice of bread, its whatever works to keep these little numbers on your meter low.
Lots of subs out there are both expensive and/or cardboardy in taste, but there's plenty out there that's actually pretty darned good, and useful, on top of healthier. Sometimes it takes a bit of searching, or a hint from a friend or a forum. But the decent ones are indeed out there and often times, worth looking for. :) Also, when you spend less on the things you used to eat -just in snacks alone I've saved a fortune!- you have more room to spend it on subs or keto-friendly foods... Like that extra dark luxury chocolate bar, or that nice cheese... It does, quite often, balance out and then some. And still, it is rarely mentioned... So excellent post, we should consider this more often...!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to disagree with you about the cauliflower (if I may). I steam my florets in my £10 steamer from argos and then turn them into my processer, where I add butter, cream cheese, a little garlic powder sometimes too, and it turns into the most delicious 'mash'. I served some to a visitor without saying that it wasn't potato and he was completely fooled! x
Yes you may disagree :) I’m not saying it isn’t delicious :) but I can tell even from the look never mind the taste that it’s not mashed spuds, but even though I say so myself I have a very discerning palate, yes I do believe it would “fool” many many people but not me - it has fooled my hubby who is also a trained chef, but it’s always been a bone of contention in our 39 year marriage that I have a far better “palate” than him to the point he calls me a freak of nature ;)

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You want odd? I'm obsessed with an imported extra dark chocolate with lavender oil in, from Budapest. ;) Not something I could've afforded in the before Dx times, haha.
My sons lovely partner was in Croatia and brought my back two wee dark chocolate bars.One with lavender and one with olive oil. I haven't tried them yet because, well, I dunno. Are you sure?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sons lovely partner was in Croatia and brought my back two wee dark chocolate bars.One with lavender and one with olive oil. I haven't tried them yet because, well, I dunno. Are you sure?
I can make one of those bars last for a week. (Not just because they cost 7 euro's, these days, though that might have something to do with it. Just a little, haha.). Not something to have in a single sitting, that'd be a bit too sugary for my own dietary preferences, but the taste is so exquisite, it lingers for a bit. Just a bit will hit the spot just fine.

The only danger is in wanting more. ;)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Margarettt , different folks, different strokes.

But so glad it's working for you .

I tried all that, gave up as too much faff making or hard to find (aka expensive)

Don't miss any of it.

I realised making any recipe is just the mix of flavours and ingredients.

Some just happen to have a certain look so they get named

I finally accepted that, and make my own versions, with a twist or two.

Most meals on table within 20-30 mins

Cauli rice...mmhh
I slice up the cauliflower and just bake it for 30 mins.
Curry on top (last nights tailors spice) added chicken & veg.
Delicious & in range after 2 hours..nice.

Pizza....mmhh

Cauliflower pizza my go to.
Now that's about my limit of faffing with food, but it's so worth it in my book....missus not T2D, raves to friends about it.

Needs mozzarella, Tesco's do a cheap one, keeps in fridge for a while, add frozen florets, and whatevers in fridge, delivery meats etc...so almost on tap.

And costs...a good point.

I ate maybe 4-5+ a day pre DX.
Take aways or supermarket for breakfasts, lunch, dinner & snacks during day.

Reckon since I went lchf, that's why the UK economy's crashed so badly...lol

I eat Once or twice a day, better quality & giving me better health...

Think that makes me quids in.
Before I even consider the pennies :cool:

Keep doing you.

Your making a great job of it.

Your sincerely
Another reluctant cook ;)

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent post @Margarettt
So glad you're starting to find your own way, and your own tastes and workarounds.
And that you posted to encourage others.
We each have to find a way of eating for life (woefl) that suits our meters and bg, our tastes and budgets, our families and our lifestyle
It's a balancing act!

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I barely dare ask.... @Margarettt , how did you like it? ;)
oh @JoKalsbeek it was lovely, absolutely lovely. I had my 2 squares (which, when I unwrapped turned out to be 4 tiny squares) and put it away then five minutes later I needed a chunk of cheese just to change the taste or I absolutely would have gorged the lot. Yum yum yum