Increasing ketosis and weight loss

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick note to report that having spent months with a maximum ketones reading of 0.5 and a calorie intake of 1250 on a ketogenic diet of under 30g carbs, during which time I lost 25kg then went into a 6 months stall, I am now recording ketones of 2.8 with a calorie intake of 1600 and weight is dropping off ( 5kg in a week ! )

My 1600 calories is approximately 40g carbs, 70g proteins and the balance fats, mainly saturated and mono. with balanced is omega 3/6 I eat once per day only.

The details are in my diet thread reference below if anyone is interested in checking it out.

RedDragon1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did my first Fast day had ketone reading of 1.2 yet this morning ketone dropped to 0.4 does anyone know why ??

Reactions: Freema

RedDragon1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi ringi im usind prescribed ketone blood test strips and a glucomen LX Plus meter... this morning's reading was 0.6 so slightly higher and doing another fasting day ...
Was thinking of trying out doing day eating LCHF and then a day fast for a week or two .Weighed myself earlier and have lost 7.5 pounds so LCHF seems to be working slowly

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that the ketone in your blood are what you body have not used, therefore most low carb researcherr considers a high ketone reading has no bnefit, all that is importanant is that you have ketone above 0 most of the time.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that the ketone in your blood are what you body have not used, therefore most low carb researcherr considers a high ketone reading has no bnefit, all that is importanant is that you have ketone above 0 most of the time.
When I was first trying to get into ketosis, all I had was the wee-on Ketostix, and I wondered at the point when I thought I should have been getting higher readings, I was actually getting no show at all - until I discovered all I had been doing was measuring the waste ketones, and so no show apparently also meant NO waste... it was my Eureka moment.

Robbity

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did my first Fast day had ketone reading of 1.2 yet this morning ketone dropped to 0.4 does anyone know why ??

Mine drops everyday in the morning , I think that's the glucogenesis from my morning liver dump.

Reactions: Freema

RedDragon1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
introducing 2 new things into my diet next week ! will report how they effect going keto ...
1 Coconut oil as i feel im not taking in enough fats and to much Protine
2 Apple cider vinigar ( this morning my BGL was 6.7mmol/l but i did also cut my Lantus down to 58 units against the normal 80 ) so expected higher BGL also reducing my NovoRapid to 24 units 3 times a day from 32 units at start .

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Mine drops everyday in the morning , I think that's the glucogenesis from my morning liver dump.
I decided to test my ketones just before I went to bed, rather than first thing in the morning with my weight and fbg, which would actually be more convenient. I did read that somewhere, but I also reasoned that if I did it late evening, 3 hours after my last meal, it would be pretty stable and not influenced by overnight factors.
Anyway, I now have a set of results all taken at the same time, so I am stuck with it!
The readings also follow a reasonable trend over several days, so I am reassured they are measuring something, rather than just random.